Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Aero Works P-51?

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Aero Works P-51?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 01:06 PM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aero Works P-51?

Hey Russ:

I managed to get the broken screw shank out of the backplate. There is a trick to it. No way can you drill out a steel screw in an aluminum plate. Not happenin'. I got a tip from RCFlyerDan, he told me to use a thin cut-off wheel on a dremel to cut a slot in the top if the screw shank. This cuts a little bit into the aluminum plate for maybe 1/8" either side of the broken off screw, but the slot was enough to use a small flat blade screwdriver to remove the broken shank. Works like a charm.

Thanks again for the kind offer of the extra backplate, but I won't be needing it and I hope you won't either. Having a spare part in hand seems eliminate the need for it, :-)

sp
Old 05-19-2012, 02:09 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

SP,
Good, glad you got it out without any trouble, hope you are out flying today. I was going to go flying, but a buddy was racing at El Mirage lakebed today, so went out there instead. I know what you mean about spare parts - I call it the spare tire therory, if you have a spare tire, you'll never need it, leave it at home once, you're screwed!!
I'm thinking of ordering a spinner from Tru-Turn as I want to try a Menz prop and it won't fit into the stock spinner. A friend I fly with has the TF P-51 with a DA50 and is using a Menz 20x12 prop and his plane hauls a**!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay, here's an off topic question for you guys;

Anybody know of a good way to test a DA ignition module?

I went back four years on the DA support forum at FG and found nothing, went back six months or so on the gas engine forum and nothing there either. All you see here on the gas engine forum anymore is Chinese engine stuff so I didn't even bother to look here.

I know they're "different" and DA does have something of a reputation for kicking out bad modules, but I cannot get my DA-60 to fire and it appears that it's the module. On my ZDZ's you can pull the plug, put it in the sparkplug wire, hold it next to the engine and just rotate the magnet under the sensor and it'll spark. Doesn't work on the DA and I'm not sure it's suppose to? I pulled the plug out, put in a screwdriver and held it close to the head, got a little tickle on my fingers since I was holding the cap instead of the insulation, but it certainly wasn't a "bite".

'Gonna try putting a battery directly to the ignition module bypassing everything else tomorrow but I don't anticipate that'll fix the problem....
Old 05-20-2012, 09:14 AM
smperry

Zeeb

I was going to suggest settng up the model on the driveway, turn on the Tx and all the switches on the model and flip the prop till the neighbors complain about the blue language and you can assume the module is bad, but it sounds like you did that or something similar already.

Plugging the module into the battery directly may work, but even if it doesn't you'll be a lot closer to sure that the module is bad.

Good luck with a frustrating problem

sp
Old 05-21-2012, 04:32 PM
flstn95
My Feedback: (2)

It's been a while, but I have tested a DA ignition by removing the plug from the engine and put it in the plug cap and then holding it against the motor. If I remember correctly, the Da ignition is designed to not fire when the prop is moved slowly to prevent an accidental engine start. You may need an assistant to flip the prop hard while you handle the plug end of the operation. Hope that works for you. I had to do the test with the lights out in the shop to get a good look at the spark arc.

FLSTN95
Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Zeeb

Thanks for the suggestions guys but my research seems to indicate that the definitive trouble shooting method for a DA ignition module is to replace it with another.....

So I called DA this morning and a new module is on it's way, if it works I can send the old one back and if it tests bad they'll issue a credit. If it doesn't test bad I'll have an extra module and a problem I currently have no idea about the cause or solution... lol
Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

With a Da ignition you can test it like you do with the ZDZ, but you don't need to ground it to the head. It will spark if you spin it fast. My 60 also had the ignition go out after 3 flights. I had 2 modules fail in less then 5 flights lately. I have never had a problem in the pat 11 years of running DA engines until now.

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Okay, here's an off topic question for you guys;

Anybody know of a good way to test a DA ignition module?

I went back four years on the DA support forum at FG and found nothing, went back six months or so on the gas engine forum and nothing there either. All you see here on the gas engine forum anymore is Chinese engine stuff so I didn't even bother to look here.

I know they're ''different'' and DA does have something of a reputation for kicking out bad modules, but I cannot get my DA-60 to fire and it appears that it's the module. On my ZDZ's you can pull the plug, put it in the sparkplug wire, hold it next to the engine and just rotate the magnet under the sensor and it'll spark. Doesn't work on the DA and I'm not sure it's suppose to? I pulled the plug out, put in a screwdriver and held it close to the head, got a little tickle on my fingers since I was holding the cap instead of the insulation, but it certainly wasn't a ''bite''.

'Gonna try putting a battery directly to the ignition module bypassing everything else tomorrow but I don't anticipate that'll fix the problem....
Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
smperry

Y'all hush about the DA ignition modules, Sally might hear you and get ideas. My Mustang, Sally, is finally ready to fly again and I'm worried the old hangar queen will present another problem before I can get her to the field. I was kind of hoping to get more than two consecutive flights between "issues". ;-) I'm waiting on good weather and time off from work to coincide.
sp
Old 05-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Zeeb

Well I won't be talking about those DA modules for some time I think. I've had a few medical issues to deal with lately including a heart defect which has been fixed and the last one is a brain anuerysm which had not yet ruptured thank God. Had an appointment with the neurosurgeon this afternoon and they are going to try and fix on Thursday morning. Haven't got a clue when I'll be able to get back to playing with model airplanes but suspect it may be some time.

So if I'm absent for awile you'll know why.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Zeeb

Hope all works out well ASAP
Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM
smperry

God Bless and get well soon. We're all pulling for you.
sp
Old 05-29-2012, 06:48 AM
JamesPool
My Feedback: (3)

Hey out there.  Does anyone have a good line on the offset hinges for the gear doors? 

Thanks,
James
Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 AM
Zeeb

Thank you for the good wishes guys....

The surgery was done last Thursday, the neurosurgeon says things went well but it's probably going to take a month or so for things to come "back to normal" if you will? Supposed to get a big string of metal skin staples out of my head this afternoon and then my glasses should fit again. Tinkering with the forum is a challenge with no glasses but it seems a small price to pay right now.

I'll be back, my new DA module is here.....

Old 06-01-2012, 06:30 AM
jgmoodylaw

Zeeb, Good to hear that the procedure went well. Look forward to seeing you at the field for the maiden flight on your P-51. Hope to see you on Saturday at the fly-in. Take care.

Jay
Old 06-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Asanders

Gary, I mean Zeeb, I just heard brother. Man that explains why you looked the way you did on Saturday! [8D] Hoping things go better for you. You need to stick around longer with that wit of yours and of course you got to finish that Mustang!
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM
dgerhard

Need some help guys, How nose heavy is nose heavyfor this bird? I have the recommended equipment installed and it just falls to the nose. not a gradual pitch but falls. i threw 6oz of lead in the tailand it still does the same. I know a little nose heavy is fine but im a little concerned with it being so heavy it noses over on takeoff/landing.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:28 PM
smperry

Mine was a bit nose heavy too. I ended up putting one battery, (@ cell 2200 mAh LiPo), behind the tail wheel and another of the same type under the wing hold down plate. I had to ensure the wing bolts didn't protrude and damage the battery. A balsa stand off block accomplished that. So far I haven't needed to add lead, but if your model won't balance by moving equipment around, then add the lead. Better to fly a heavier model than an out of trim one.

sp
Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 AM
dgerhard

smperry, thanks that did the trick... tied the rx battery to the wing hold down an it worked out just fine. didnt think of putting it there. Plane flew beautiful, needed 2 clicks of right and that was it. flew it around for about 8 minutes just some general circles then came in for landing, came in nicely started to taxi it back to the pits got half field and the left gear collapse wich resulted in a broken prop and some other minor damage.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM
smperry

Glad you got your balance issues resolved. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on the collapsing gear. There are rumors that the stock gear may not be as robust as one might hope...:-)

sp
Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 AM
miker49

Can someone out there e-mail or send me a copy of the programming sheet for the jet legend sequencer? misplaced mine,tried aeroworks and still hav'nt heard from them.trying to get my test flight in but it's one thing after another.air tank leaks,both air valves too.was'nt able to finish it in the 30 day warranty period so i'm told i'm out of luck by aeroworks.kinda glad i did'nt buy the bravata at joe noll.thanks to anyone who can help...
Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 AM
rslstft

Miker,
I can send it to you as a .pdf file tonight when I get home from work if you haven't received it by then. I ended up replacing my sequencer with one from Jet-Tronics as the original one worked fine for quite a while, but then out of the blue started acting up, opening and closing the inner doors at random times and finally just failed altogether. Luckily it failed when the gear were down!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 PM
miker49

thanks anyway,i was able to get one from jet legends web site.this winter i will convert to servo operated doors and eliminate another headache. whats sad is i'm still waiting on a phone call from aeroworks with the same info.thank you
Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM
tom2bell

Miker49
Please give us a call we can get you a copy of the programming sheet for the jet legend sequencer. We are always there to help.
Tom Bell
Sales
Aeroworks

on another note here is a pic of the P-51D done in the gunfighter this is from an ARC Aeroworks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55927.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1775630  
Old 07-02-2012, 03:29 AM
dgerhard

Does anyone know the size of the screw that connects the ball link from the outer gear door to the collar on the gear shaft?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
miker49

i got my first test flights in last sunday.the plane flew very well.first flight lasted about 2 1/2 mins and the engine shut down.landed fine and we richened up the high speed about 1/4 of a turn.it flew 5-6 mins and landed it after deciding it was too rich.engine is a DA 50,XOAR 22-8 prop for break in.cowling has 3/8"or more clearance around the head fins.i have since opened up the air scoop on the bottom of the cowling as much as i can without looking fugly.ign box is mounted inside the fuse about where the engine box meets the firewall.hav'nt flown it again and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.