Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Phoenix4's Spektrum DX5 Transmitter Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Phoenix4's Spektrum DX5 Transmitter Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:50 AM
CFIT Gordon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix4's Spektrum DX5 Transmitter Question

Hi all, I just purchased Phoenix 4 with the DX5 transmitter, and have been having a lot of fun with it. The other day, I revived an old copy of Reflex XTR on my XP computer, and having no transmitter for Reflex, decided to use the Reflex XTR dongle plugged into the DX5 transmitter that came with my Phoenix 4. The plug that connects the Reflex XTR dongle to the back of the transmitter is identical to the plug that connects the Phoenix dongle to the transmitter, so I just guessed and hoped that the DX5 transmitter that came with Phoenix SHOULD work with Reflex XTR.

Well, I had just got through assigning transmitter axes of the DX5 transmitter for Reflex XTR, and itseemed to be working well initially. A few minutes later, however, and the DX5 transmitter gave out a fast sequence of beeps, and stopped working with Reflex XTR completely. It would resume working very briefly if I unplugged the DX5, and then re-connected it to the Reflex dongle, but after a while those rapid beeps started right away each time I re-connected the transmitter to Reflex XTR, and so finally I gave up on the idea of using the DX5 transmitter with Reflex XTR, seeing as the DX5 was originally shipped with Phoenix.

A couple of days later, while using the DX5 transmitter with the Phoenix 4 it came with, those rapid beeps sounded again, and Phoenix suddenly failed to recognize the transmitter. Un-plugging and re-connecting the DX5 transmitter bought me a few more minutes of flying time with Phoenix, BUT, soon those rapid beeps became far more frequent, and I stopped the program. Since the rapid-beep then shut-down syndrome never occurred before when I used the DX5 transmitter with Phoenix, I am now wondering if my attempt to use that DX5 with Reflex XTR has in some way damaged the DX5, such that it won't work with Phoenix anymore.

Still hoping a damaged transmitter is not the issue here, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has experienced such a rapid-beep-shutdown sequence while using the DX5 that comes with Phoenix4. Specifically I was wondering if simply having run the transmitter batteries down could cause such erratic behavior from the DX5transmitter, such that it will run fine for a few minutes, beep rapidly and then quit working. I would be grateful if anyone of you guys who owns Phoenix 4 with the DX5 transmitter could offer some insights into why the DX5 has been acting up with Phoenix ever since I tried to use it with Reflex XTR. I haven't picked up new batteries yet, but figured there'd be no harm asking here even before I do replace the batteries. Thanks in advance for any opinions that y'all can offer.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:08 AM
jzrf6c

Default RE: Phoenix4's Spektrum DX5 Transmitter Question

BAD BAD thing to do. Just because the plug fits never plug something in "...and see if it works". Would you plug your TV into an outlet in some country where they supply 220 volts instead of 110 volts? If I were you I'd send my transmitter in for a complete checkout. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
CFIT Gordon

I suppose I viewed the DX5 as the independent radio transmitter that it apparently is, according to Phoenix RC, in that the DX5 can be unplugged from Phoenix RC sim and used to control real RC aircraft, or another RC sim, maybe. I bought my Reflex XTR package quite a while back, but I do remember that program would not work without that red USB-to-transmitter dongle supplied with the CD. What I don't remember at all, though, is whether Reflex XTR was shipped to me with its own transmitter, or whether it just arrived with the USB dongle, and a list of compatible transmitters.

On the assumption that Reflex XTR would work with a number of popular transmitters including the DX5 that came with Phoenix RC, provided that the Reflex USB dongle was used to connect with the transmitter, I may just have bumbled my way towards a disaster for my DX5 transmitter, though I still hold out hope that the axis assignments might have been muddled and maybe just need re-setting.

I'll try new batteries as well, just in case they were running low enough to make the transmitter give off those rapid beeps and shut down. If those fixes don't work, I expect to engage in some wailing and gnashing of teeth, as the possible damage sinks in and my grandpa's old saying comes to mind " If it ain't broke, then don't fix it."
Old 06-19-2012, 11:08 AM
CFIT Gordon

Remembering another old saying whichsuggests reading the instructions when all else fails, I delved into the Phoenix RC user manual and found a caution that any transmitter which hasbeen used outside of Phoenix RC will need to be re-calibrated when it is re-connected toPhoenix. Ijust did that, hoping for the best, and Phoenix ran, but only for a bit longer than before, till the rapid-fire beepsagainerupted again and the transmitter locked up.

New batteries next.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:02 AM
CFIT Gordon

Well Captains, I am glad to say that LOWBATTERIESaccounted for the'Rapid Beep and Die" syndrome I had been seeing with the DX5 transmitter that was shipped with PhoeinxRC4. I live out in the sticks, so it tookafew nail-bitingdays for the homing pigeons to bring back some new Duracell AA's,which my volt-meter happened toneed as well.

With my volt meter running again, I was amazed the DX5 transmitter even ran at all because the four AA batteries were flat, and down in the 1.0volts range, as opposed to the 1.6volts of the new replacement AA's.

Having that low batter indication, which, by the way,is NOT mentioned in the PhoenixRC4 manual,suddenly occurringright when I happened to be testing the DX5 transmitter with Reflex XTR, added a twist that had me overlooking the simplest reason the DX5 was acting up, namely low batteries after quite a few hours of flyingsince those batteries arrived new in the Phoenix box.

So, in a nutshell, the planets have assumed their normal alignment,restoring the cosmic balance of the universe, AND, if your DX5 transmitter suddenly begins to lock up after emitting rapid beep sequences, it has NOTfallen under the influence of alien intelligence, as I suspected with mine at onepoint, but probably just needs new batteries.

Regards