Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New to boats

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New to boats

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 PM
mudboger07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to boats

Hello guys Im new to boats but not rc, I just picked up a used exceed 26cc hydro, the motor and drive system could use some work, the motor looks like a homelite weed eater motor with the red front cover, I have a couple ? the boat is 48" long 24" wide

1- will the zanoah motors fit ok in this boat?

2- the orignal flex shaft was 1/4 inch but dropped to 1/8" at the prop, the new flext shaft I bought is 1/4 inch all the way, will this be ok ? I did order a new strut assemebly for the new shaft also.

3 - Id like to do some hop ups , any ideas?

4 - Is a turn fin needed?

Thanks for any info.

Ken
Old 06-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: New to boats

1. The Zenoah should fit in there but you may need to do some fabricating and redrilling the engine rails to get everything hooked up.
2. Yes, you're better off with the cable and propshaft being 1/4" all the way as it'll be much easier to get props that'll fit and work.
3. As far as hop-ups go, there are plenty of them from a better exhaust system for starters then you can have the Zen modded.
4. A turn fin sure couldn't hurt as these boats generally come without one.

Honestly, I wouldn't go crazy with the mods but just save them for later on down the road for when you get a better boat.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:37 AM
mudboger07

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

1. The Zenoah should fit in there but you may need to do some fabricating and redrilling the engine rails to get everything hooked up.
2. Yes, you're better off with the cable and propshaft being 1/4" all the way as it'll be much easier to get props that'll fit and work.
3. As far as hop-ups go, there are plenty of them from a better exhaust system for starters then you can have the Zen modded.
4. A turn fin sure couldn't hurt as these boats generally come without one.

Honestly, I wouldn't go crazy with the mods but just save them for later on down the road for when you get a better boat.

Thanks for the info Ron, we fly mainly 27% to 40% gas planes so boats are new to me and my son, ill work on getting a zen for this one and get it running good before doing anything else, can you reccemand a turn fin for this size hydro?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I would contact Joe Petro at Zippkits as he manufactures boats of a similar size for gas power. He's a member of this forum so you can easily send him a PM and get more information on the what, where and why of his products
Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Ron Olson

Joe does have an inexpensive one, http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=230 but it does need to be sharpened. It's not that hard to do, a 45 degree angle on the outside will do, a sharp angle with no rounding. I looked at others but they were more expensive, some almost double the price of his.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:08 AM
mudboger07

Joe does have an inexpensive one, http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=230 but it does need to be sharpened. It's not that hard to do, a 45 degree angle on the outside will do, a sharp angle with no rounding. I looked at others but they were more expensive, some almost double the price of his.
Does anyone have a pic of how the turn fin mounts on a hydro, also is this a left or right turn fin?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Ron Olson

OK, it's a lousy picture and it's on my Sport .12 plus I'm holding the boat up with my chin while trying to take it with my cell phone but hopefully you'll get the idea. Yes, it's on the right side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73780.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1775583  
Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 AM
mudboger07

OK, it's a lousy picture and it's on my Sport .12 plus I'm holding the boat up with my chin while trying to take it with my cell phone but hopefully you'll get the idea. Yes, it's on the right side.
Thank you ron, thats just what i needed. Besides installing a new zen this is all im going to do with it for now, ive already got all the new hardware on the drive system installed and wanted a turn fin to be able to make the turns a little faster. thanks again.

with it mounted on the right side like in your picture, that makes for left turns is that correct?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Ron Olson

Right side mounted turn fins are made for right turns, what we do in racing. It will make lefts but at low speeds.