Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Brand New

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Brand New

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:21 AM
DHumphrey106

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to RC planes. In fact, I'm doing this as part of my high school senior project in order to graduate, and I've never done this before, either build or fly. So does anyone have any suggestions for kits I can build that would take me, a beginner, between 80 and 100 hours? I have a budget, so anything less than... $250 would be best.

Thanks,
Dan Humphrey
Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM
rlipsett

Default RE: Brand New

I would suggest the lt40. but to equip the airplane you would need another 130 for a radio and about the same for a radio. the kits about 90 but you need to covering and tools to finishso you go through another $50. there are other kits check this page

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=AAB

stick with os engines for less problems la are weak but good ax are better power. check clubs nearby for cheap gear for sale to outfit your plane people are always selling used engines and used radio gear. get club sites by going on academy of model aoernautics.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go visit a club near you and see what they are doing. Then if they happen to be into gliders they could probably help you stay within your budget.

The reason I say gliders ( I'm a fuel guy ) is that the " kits " are cheaper , no engine / motor is needed , in some ways they are easier to learn to fly. They can be launched with a cheap upstart ( bunge ) and you would still have enough in your budget for a cheap radio.

A couple that I would suggest is the "Goldberg Gentle Lady" or the "Spectra " . They are both real " KITS " and not really to hard to build.

To top it off they are a lot of fun to fly and can teach you a lot. I have both and have a couple of them converted to Electric. I don't suggest putting power on yours as that will put you out of your buget.

Keep us informed as to what you do . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 04-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any of the cheap Fun Fly kits like the Up-Roar or Fun 51. They are about $50.00 for the kit. Very easy to build even if you don't have a lot of help. The flying part is where you will need tons of help and a different type of plane like the LT 40 Trainer and an instructor/club. Not all clubs require you to have your own plane and gear to learn to fly. I teach with my own plane and gear, only ask the student to supply there own fuel. Building and flying are two different things!!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The LT40 is a great starter kit. I had mine built in a week, but I am also not a new kit builder, and I had done some modifications to mine too. The cost though would be out of your budget unless you could find a radio and engine at a swap meet for under $60. The plane and covering and supplies would be at least $190.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:00 PM
sylvie369

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a complete newbie last spring I built a Sig Riser sailplane, one that is very similar to the Gentle Lady that red head suggested. I second his/her suggestion - I built mine from a kit, with essentially no experience (unless you count little Guillow rubberband-powered ones), and was able to get her flying from an Upstart (bungee cord launcher). Very very satisfying. I've built a second one which will fly if we ever get a day with less than gale force winds again. You should be able to come in well under that $250 budget, even with a low end 2.4 GHz radio included.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:49 PM
jetmech05

You said either build or fly correct? Go to the nearest RC field and see if someone there would allow you train and learn to fly on a club trainer or an instructors trainer...cheaper than building
Old 04-25-2012, 05:42 PM
JeffinTD

For sure hook up with a club. There are likely people who enjoy helping someone get started.

Sig has some very nice kits with detailed instructions. A Seniorita would also be a good first build/first plane.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
DHumphrey106

Thanks for all of the advice!! It sounds like this will cost more than I thought, so what do Ineed to buy to make a functioning plane I can fly, and how much would that cost me (preferably on the cheaper side)? Would it make more sense for the model airplane to be electric or fuel? And I was also told about "Balsa" vs. a "Foamie," which would make more sense? I e-mailed a local RCSociety, I'm visiting their airfield Sunday.

-Dan Humphrey
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
JeffinTD

Foam planes generally don't involve much in the way of building, but they are more forgiving of lighter crashes, and can also be generally be glued back together.

When you make some contacts, you might be able to find a good used radio or used engine.

Electric or glow I guess is up to you. With glow you will want an electric starter, glow driver, and fuel pump. With electric you will need a lipo charger and batteries.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM
rlipsett

Why Are you building a plane exactly? do you have to demonstrate aerodynamic principles and structures or something like that.
Electric and glow fuel pricing equals out by the time you get support equipment for either together. check with a nearby club for used radio gear in the 72 mghz range, this is older gear that people are upgrading away from but it is still good reliable gear. and see if you can buy an old eliable os 46 engine from somebody. depending on deals you could get from club members if you hit it right you might be able to build the lt 40 kit and equip it for $300to $400. good deals can be found. If you fly any airplane at ama sanctioned fields though you will have to have an ama membership. they supply suplemental insurance should you hit the wrong thing or person.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: sylvie369

As a complete newbie last spring I built a Sig Riser sailplane, one that is very similar to the Gentle Lady that red head suggested. I second his/her suggestion - I built mine from a kit, with essentially no experience (unless you count little Guillow rubberband-powered ones), and was able to get her flying from an Upstart (bungee cord launcher). Very very satisfying. I've built a second one which will fly if we ever get a day with less than gale force winds again. You should be able to come in well under that $250 budget, even with a low end 2.4 GHz radio included.
glider, a perfect choice!!!!!!!!!!!! Electric motor, outstanding idea!!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 PM
bikerbc

I would find a club and talk to the guys there..If you can get an instructor he might like some inputt as to what trainer to help you learn to fly..They may already have a club trainer too..Some clubs are all set up with a trainer all ready to go and all you need is your own fuel..That would leave you open to build what ever you want...The LT40 is very popular with the members of our club...I really like them myself..I find them much nicer to fly than the Nexstar which is a popular ARF.You might be able to pick up some good used stuff from the club members when you get to know them epically when they know this is a school project.....Lots of guys like helping newcommers... AnLT40 works great with an OS46 or equ size motor .You will need a radio and at least 4 servos...For your $250.00 budget I can't see you being able to buy everything you need and a radio too.. Along with the kit you will need covering, a motor and mic harware like wheels and a fuel tank and lines etc..You will also need some glues and a few tools and it adds up pretty quick...If you were to hold off on the radio for a while ,maybe Mow a few lawns if thats possible...Even a gallon of fuel is close to $20.00 here...You could probably buy an already built and covered ready to go plane at a swap meet cheaper than building one..I have seen lots go with motors on them servos in them for $50.00 to $100.00 but if you want to build one to get the experience and knowledge you will have to pay...Building is a lot of fun and once you start you will never want to stop doing it... I think this is great school project..There is so much you can learn. It can lead you off in many directions..I am not sure what AMA rules are but you will need to allow for club dues and AMA as well.This will eat up some of your $250.00..It is very very important to be covered with insurance..These things are dangerous...Just imagine somthing going wrong and losing radio contact for whatever reason and the plane hitting sombody...You need coverage...We have one called MAAC here in Canada so it is a little different but it costs around $90.00 a year.... Good luck, fly safe, Have fun Keep us posted
Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Check out swap meets, Craigslist, your local club's classifieds, and the classifieds here and on RC Groups. It won't come up every week, but plenty of guys get tired of their trainers and sell flyable airframes pretty cheap. A ready to fly airplane isn't worth the cost of the wood it's built from, so you can buy a used one for probably 1/2 to 1/3 what it would cost to build one. There are the occasional sellers who tried the hobby years ago and didn't stick with it, so they'll have a complete package that only needs new batteries and some cleanup to fly. Do understand though that your initial investment is not the only expense for the hobby. If you fly anything bigger than a park flyer, you'll either need a big open space on private land or (preferably) a club field to fly in. The latter means club dues and AMA membership. You'll also need to buy fuel, likely batteries (not cheap), and you will have some repair costs now and then. That's the route to go if you really want to do the hobby, meaning you have plans and the budget to go beyond the trainer plane into more advanced equipment. If the goal is simply to fly someone and be casual about it, the foamy park flyers are a better choice. Again, the classifieds are a good resource for you since these models also don't hold their value very well. A Hobby Zone Super Cub will get you in the air with a minimum of initial expense, assuming you have a big open space to fly in and your city doesn't have an ordinance against flying models there.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:02 PM
rcbadger
My Feedback: (14)

If building isn't required go to Banana Hobbies. http://www.bananahobby.com/?_kk=elec...FZMj7AodthP50g

Many planes of all types COMPLETE with radio, motor, charger, battery, and nearly all are within your price range...

Electric is likely your best option, especially when all is included. You won't need anything that isn't supplied except for an extra battery or two. Nearly all are "foamies" but I've trained on two of them: http://www.bananahobby.com/1937.html The motor/prop are up out of the way for crashes, very forgiving epp foam, an excellent trainer. Get the upgraded battery/motor, and a spare battery or two. You'll still be WAY under your $$$.

Also http://www.bananahobby.com/2084.html Way better looking/performing, but more $$$ and easier to wreck. Comes with a "flight simulator," but still get an instructor.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 AM
DHumphrey106

Hi again, sorry it's been so long since I responded, my computer up and quit on me and wouldn't let me comment.

So I talked to my local club, and we decided on the mini telemaster V2 kit. I've already started building, but I have a long way to go.

Thanks all!

-Dan Humphrey
Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome aboard Dan[8D]

John
Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 AM
JeffinTD

ORIGINAL: DHumphrey106

Hi again, sorry it's been so long since I responded, my computer up and quit on me and wouldn't let me comment.

So I talked to my local club, and we decided on the mini telemaster V2 kit. I've already started building, but I have a long way to go.

Thanks all!

-Dan Humphrey

Cool. Post up some pics of the build, if you would.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 PM
helisrock

Hey rcbadger,

I was just browsing the threads and noticed the link you posted for a plane that came with a flight simulator for a very reasonable price. Can you give me any more information on this? Is the flight simulator that is included worth it? I am also a beginner looking to get into the hobby while still keeping within a reasonable budget. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Travis
Old 06-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Chucksolo69

Helisrock, I believe one newbie here bought a Mini Wing Dragon from Banana Hobby which came with a flight sim on CD ROM. It comes with two wings, one with dihedral and polyhedral and one with ailerons. The price is about $140.00 and comes with a pusher type brushless outrunner motor. Watch the video at www.bananahobby.com and check it out. I have never bought anything fro Banana Hobby so can't speak to their rep or customer service. To be honest though, you might be better served by buying a high quality sim like Phoenix or RealFlight. RealFlight, while a bit pricey, has really helped me a lot to progress in the hobby. I you are so inclined, you might want to check into local flying clubs. I am sure some of the "old salts" there can point you in the right direction.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 AM
JeffinTD

A few folks where I fly have had bannana stuff, and I'd have to say I wasn't too impressed, but your mileage may vary.

I'd second the suggestion of getting a good simulator, if you can make it work in your budget.

I have Realflight, and although it isn't cheap, it is hugely better than the cheap ones I've seen.

Buying a cheap one and then buying a good one (which is what I did) is more expensive than just buying a good one from the start.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 PM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

Banana Hobby has NOcustomer Service. IMO, the suck!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 AM
rcbadger
My Feedback: (14)

Helisrock,

I have had no bad experience with Banana Hobbies, however, it appears that some have. I have bought, and had students buy, planes and parts, but had no issues with either.

Here's the link for the "Sky Surfer" plane I've trained a couple of guys on.: http://www.bananahobby.com/1937.html

The flight sim is OK, but it only represents the plane it's packaged with like many that are included with planes. My rating of the sim is only from students that had it, as I've never used it, but I could see that they had learned some by using it, so...

If you can spend $200 or so on a sim, the I can vouch for the "Real Flight" sim as being exceptional. I'm told the "Phoenix" is also great, but haven't used it myself. As chucksolo mentioned above, there is another model at BH that has two different wings for three or four-channel flight. He also hit the nail on the head with checking with your local clubs. I strongly recommend membership in a club for everyone, but especially "new guys." If you find guys that welcome you readily, join 'em. There's no limit to what you can learn even just hanging around.
"Learn from the mistakes of others: you can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself." - Will Rogers

Best of luck, and let me know how things turn out!