Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Lipo Fire in Garage

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Lipo Fire in Garage

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Lipo Fire in Garage

I didn't show this picture earlier, but here is the really scary picture showing a gasoline jug close by, cans of paint, fueler near, and Nitro gas close. Thank God no vapors were present to ignight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46767.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	1775590  
Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 AM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear that Andy man your a lucky guy...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know what fire extinguisher is best for lipo fires, I know CO2 is good for liquid and electrical but not metal fires, which would mean not suitable for very hot burning temps which a lipo would burn at, so would powder be better ?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:14 AM
phantom_najd
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

Anyone know what fire extinguisher is best for lipo fires, I know CO2 is good for liquid and electrical but not metal fires, which would mean not suitable for very hot burning temps which a lipo would burn at, so would powder be better ?
I know that CO2 is not good at all for LiPo fires ... Don't ask me how I knew that

Azzam
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 AM
flyallday

I really want to thank you for being so forthcoming. Not all would reveal how you were charging. It is very easy to become complacent with charging and this has given me a kick to pay more attention to charging and lipo storage. I said in a previous post that I stored my lipos in a grill outside but it is starting to get too warm here. Looking around the garage, it hit me! My sandblasting cabinet would make for a great lipo storage container. Thank you Andy.

Harry
Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Xairflyer

Problem with CO2 is that there is no after fire protection, that is why you see so many videos of guys putting out a turbine fire and then it all of a sudden lights up again. Reason why CO2 is probably not that good for Lipos.

Foam and powder do help prevent re-lites.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Was about to ask this question as well... rather than debate the merits of CO2 vs. this or this vs. that, can anyone recommend a specific brand or type of extinguisher for dealing with lipo fires?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Radical Departure

Was about to ask this question as well... rather than debate the merits of CO2 vs. this or this vs. that, can anyone recommend a specific brand or type of extinguisher for dealing with lipo fires?

Wouldn't water be the best?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 AM
Xairflyer

Absolutely not, water never should be used on a electrical or liquid fire, water is only suitable for wood, paper etc
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Andy
you are indeed fortunate, my buddy wasn't so fortunate, he lost his garage, Baby Boomerang, Futaba Transmitter, Jet Central Bee, Car, Snow Blower etc...

Although he wasn't charging LiPo's, he was charging NiMh batteries, so it goes to show that there are no safe technologies, they all deserve respect!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44620.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1775612  
Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 AM
cbh82v

Dry powder fire extinguishers are best for Lipo fires. lithium is a combustable metal. Use a Class D extinguisher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_classes

Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Radical Departure

Thats what I needed to know.. Many Thanks CB!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

thanks for sharing.I am in a new home and am taking extra precautions charging batteries.stupid as it sounds I really never thought about my charger unit itself.at any rate I stopped way back my practice of charging and walking away especially overnight.I charge while I am in the shop so I can detect a failure immediately.I also use a non flammable flat top so if something goes kafleuy I am right there to prevent a big problem..I use lipo bags and long term I just got a fireproof safe for extra piece of mind.and lastly our field has charging stations so I re charge right at the field when I can..sorry about your loss.no I dont charge my lipos or a123 for gas directly in the fuse.why take a foolish chance..
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Absolutely not, water never should be used on a electrical or liquid fire, water is only suitable for wood, paper etc
You have to look at the reasons for that. With a liquid, the problem (may) be that the liquid is lighter than water, so the water will just spread the burning liquid around. For an electrical fire, the problem (may) be that the water will hit an open electrical line and electrocute the firefighter.

Water, or better yet, water and foam *will* put out a LiPo fire - you just have to make sure that the charger has been unplugged before using it. If its all you've got handy, unplug the charger or hit the main breaker and use it. It *will* knock down the fire and *keep* it down better than CO2. I've not had the opportunity (thankfully) to use a dry chemical extinguisher on a LiPo fire, and it may work better. I'm not sure which one would make more of a mess...

Bob
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 AM
rhklenke

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: cbh82v

Dry powder fire extinguishers are best for Lipo fires. lithium is a combustable metal. Use a Class D extinguisher.

Who the heck has a Class D fire extinguisher around?!? As I said, water works - just turn off the power to the charger first...

Bob
Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my case I hit the fire with a CO2 extinguisher and followed immediately with a 5 lb dry extinguisher rated ABC. It was out with the CO2 but damn sure out after the big pile of yellow powder hit it and everything else within 10 feet.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM
cbh82v

If you read the wikipedia page you'll see that water is a bad idea. Water can make some metal fires larger. A five gallon bucket full of dirt near your charging station is a cheap alternative to a class D fire extinguisher.

cbh

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Who the heck has a Class D fire extinguisher around?!? As I said, water works - just turn off the power to the charger first...

Bob
Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a cheap 1300 may pack almost take my garage out. I NEVER charge without being in the garage. I was charging the pack, it swelled. I put it in a fire safe and on my back porch about 2' from the back door to my garage on a concrete slab. 2am I smell smoke. I go out to where the fire safe is, the top of it is gone. So is the palm tree that was next to it. Whole back of my garage was charred... melted the coax...no internet! I threw away all my random packs and replaced everything with TP packs. Scary lesson.. and I did everything right!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 AM
SCALECRAFT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I charge outside on a metal table.

Luck AA

steve
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 AM
grimbeaver

If you read the wikipedia page you'll see that water is a bad idea. Water can make some metal fires larger. A five gallon bucket full of dirt near your charging station is a cheap alternative to a class D fire extinguisher.

cbh
Yep get a bucket of sand if you are that concerned. Class D fire extinguishers are EXPENSIVE.

Also to the guy who said he stores his lipos outside in his grill. You just let me know how many cycles you get from those... I'll store mine in a temperature controlled environment thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 AM
lov2flyrc

Been preaching this for years - Almost burned down my house the same way about 7 years ago. NEVER charge in the plane, NEVER charge in your house/garage.
I have guys roll their eyes all the time at me for saying so.... []
Lucky on this one Andy, thank goodness! Great wakeup-call !
Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 AM
wesaysoracing

i was charging the NImh batteries in my GP giant big stick when i smelled smoke and noticed it coming out of it, i was lucky i was nearby when it started smoldering, so LiPO's are not the only ones to watch out for
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 AM
flyallday

ORIGINAL: grimbeaver

Also to the guy who said he stores his lipos outside in his grill. You just let me know how many cycles you get from those... I'll store mine in a temperature controlled environment thanks.

Grill is in the shade. You must have missed my post where I was concerned the ambient temp was increasing and moved the lipos into my sandblast cabinet in the garage. By the way, have had many of these packs for several years with hundreds of cycles. You may want to add yourself to that temperature control. Kind of arrogant statement.

To each his own. This is only a hobby.

Harry
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

That's why I charge outside on a metal table.

Luck AA

steve

Not happening in the perpetually rainy pacific northwest..... I think as long as you keep an eye on them, you'e good. I'm just disappointed that I did everything by the book and still almost burned my house down. The "fire safes" are a one way deal... you put a fire inside of them and they are useless. This used to be the suggested way to store your batteries.... it didn't save anything.

Also, buy a $10 smoke detector and put it near your charging station.... Just in case you get a swelled pack you don't notice or have to run in the house for a few minutes...
Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we're talking lipo's here:

Even though a lipo can be charged at 1C, when time is not a factor I've routinely charged at 1/2C (i.e., 1100 mah on a 2200 mah pack) figuring I was taking it a little easier on that pack this way, and perhaos lessening the chance of an explosion/fire.

The other day at the field a buddy said I should not do this, that the charger is looking for a peak voltage to know when the pack is charged, and using less than 1C is not proper. I'd never heard this before, and didn't want to argue.

This makes no sense to me. What say y'all? BTW, regardless, I always plug in the balance lead of my batteries during charging, double-check the cell count, and never "top off" a lipo. ALWAYS.

Sluggo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.