Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Converting a Hard Case Lipo to a Soft Pack

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Converting a Hard Case Lipo to a Soft Pack

Old 06-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a Hard Case Lipo to a Soft Pack

Purpose is to convert a hardcase lipo over to softpack. I'm sure a few questions may arise such as:
- Why not just buy softpacks to start?
- What's the purpose/benefit?

ANSWERS:
- Waiting for the packs that you specifically want to come in stock from numerous places is rather annoying and time consuming, even once you get the lipos you want certain things are not up to par.

- The benefit is better performance and less stored internal heat.

I'm an avid hobbyist and out of land, air & sea rc, boating is by far in last place and is typically the smallest crowds in the hobby world, like their bigger counterparts boats typically equal Bust Out Another Thousand. No such thing as "cheap speed" on that side of the house.

Like mentioned I've done this is few times before, this time I converted a friends 2s 5000mah 50C Gens Ace HardCase to a soft pack. We did run the batts as is in a rc boat pulling over 100amps constant and peaks much higher. This is a normal setup in the boating side. The batteries themselves can handle the load, the bullet connectors of the plug-in type hardpacks however can not and a failure occurred because of it. This is not in anyway a failure of the gensace packs, this is my friend and I pushing the limits even knowing that a failure would prob come from it. The issue is the bullet connectors of the plug-in type hardpacks, they are 4mm which is normal in hardpacks, but they can't handle constant amp loads over 100. So we have battery with the possibility of providing 250 amps of power (5.0aH x 50C), but connectors that can't handle of approx 75amps constant. In cars it is normal for setups to pull much less then 75amps constant and 4mm bullets as well as deans connectors can survive without much issue, boating however is a amp hungry atmosphere and the deans and 4mm aren't up to the task. A direct connect style hardpack would be better in this situation, but the hardcasing itself is also a issue. In the boating side, it is very common to have to make adjustment to pretty much everything for reliability purposes. In a RTR boat, these batteries would have no issues, been when pushing the limits certain things need to be addressed. Let me say again this is NOT A RANT, COMPLAINT or ANY DISRESPECT TO GENS ACE BATTERIES. I am a HUGE gens ace fan, and data proves they are awesome batts.

OPENING:
I was very impressed in the construction of the lipo, it proved rather time consuming to open the case up, I have cracked into more expensive hardcase lipos in much shorter the time that it took to open these. Once opened I was really impressed with the overall board construction as well.

To o-pen the case hold razer flat against the seems and attempt to slide it under the lip of the case halves. I found the connection side to be easiest. Once you find the lip, break the glue seal all the way around and pull the halves apart.

Once Inside
Once inside the repairs can begin. In the picture attached you can also see the 4mm bullet on the left migrated away from the cell tap breaking the circuit and causing the battery to show "open" and not register at all on the charger or the volt meter.

While inside I completely removed the bullets and hard wired 8awg directly to the cell tabs. I did not use the supplied 12awg that came with the batteries, however I used the balance tab.

Once converted I just wrapped in electrical tape.

Another issue with the hardcases in boating, is heat and also water-intrusion.
Heat - Without any constant air flowing over batteries like in cars heat is built up inside and hardcases lipos can typically average between 15-20F hotter then softpacks of the same quality. While lipos due enjoy and function better with a little bit of heat (around 100-115F) as it lowers the internal resistance, when they get too hot cell deterioration can occur.

Water- water always finds a way to get in places and once in hardpacks sometimes removing it can be a joy all in itself. This eliminates that issue.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88815.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1776257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87937.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1776258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65891.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1776259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24859.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1776260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89325.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1776261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm83593.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1776262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb61571.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1776263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ih25738.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1776264  

Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Diesel6401

Default RE: Converting a Hard Case Lipo to a Soft Pack

Any questions feel free to ask.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you forgot to mention is that if you cut to deep you can hit the cell which will cause a nice hissing sound and than a beautiful fire.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Diesel6401

That is correct...

Going in with the razor flat as shown in the second pic reduces the chances of that happening. Going in straight would be just bad.

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

One thing you forgot to mention is that if you cut to deep you can hit the cell which will cause a nice hissing sound and than a beautiful fire.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:34 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I have to say , nice post. Good job. I agree with all you posted. Some times even the hardpacks are available in the dimensions you need when the soft packs aren't AND many times they are cheaper.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Diesel6401

Thanks!

ORIGINAL: guver

I have to say , nice post. Good job. I agree with all you posted. Some times even the hardpacks are available in the dimensions you need when the soft packs aren't AND many times they are cheaper.