Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

going to open my own lhs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: going to open my own lhs

i don't know what you are going to invest up front. usually planned, anticipated budgets fall short, however. anyway, like the experienced posters said, do your homework. make sure to have a reason why you think customers will come to YOU. location might be one. maybe not. know that most new businesses fail. i may be a jerk for being negative, but i've seen this many times in my career.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best of luck, but I've never seen an owner of a hobby store making lots of money or having time off to enjoy life. The shop always consumes their time and money.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

As the saying goes, Location, location, LOCATION! is very important.

Parking is as well!

I also think a location with a decent amount of foot traffic is just as import to bring potential NEW customers into the store.

And always have a positive attitude with the customer. if they isn't going well for whet ever reason, they don't need to know about it!

I saw the mistakes my friend made while running his store PLUS working for six years at a local Radio Shack with the manager from hell, AND his on/off girlfriend, I pretty much saw everything a manager (owner) should never do!

Bill S.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:17 AM
Eman77

So have we decided that Exploding Lipo Hobbies will be the store name yet?

...anyone?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:46 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Blazin' Hobbies.
+1
Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

The LHS that got me involved in the hobby in the 60's was Hobby Hub. Always thought it was a great name. [8D]

Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Eman77

On a more serious note from me, if you do open an RC LHS, please be sure to figure out a system for taking customer orders that you have to place online for them.

The LHS we had nearby (that has closed down), was always real nice about ordering things for me if they didn't stock it. But, their system was to write it down on a pad of paper that subsequently got lost in the shuffle, and they'd neglect to call when it came in (even though they had my number), so it got real frustrating.

All they really needed was an excel-like spreadsheet to manage things. (Orders Pending, Orders Arrived, Orders Fulfilled, etc). Even something real basic, but electronic and in one central location, would have done a world of good.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being that it will be in NJ, use the highway exit number for the store name. Example: EXIT 53 HOBBY. It even gives the directions to your store.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

below. yup
ORIGINAL: Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: ma_mulcahy

I have to second Twin Flyer's thoughts above having been in the retail business myself. Having capital to invest in inventory is absolutely crucial. For a small shop, plan on investing at least $50,000 to have the products on hand that people want. You have to think clearly as well.... don't stock the stuff that you like or the stuff your rep is pushing. Do your research and stock what sells. Find ways to draw customers into your business and the hobby.

Last but not least. have fun dealing with customers that will try your patience. Like the guy that wanted to know why our service price was low, he told me he thought it was because we were ''too stupid not to charge more''....lol I bit my tongue. There is one in every crowd.
$50,000 bare minimum. We were going to go brick & morter back In January with a $50K budget. E-Commerce is our bread & butter. By the time it was all said & done, $50,000 was barely going to be enough and that amount only included about 30 days worth of fudge factor. So if we didn't turn profit in the first 30 days, we'd be in the red. I decided to hold off. That decision was supported when I started reading thru the dealer contracts with some of the larger distributors. This was especially true running and brick & morter AND the E-Commerce. Lost my deposit on the building, but I am okay with that. I think I'd have lost much more opening a store in this economy.

Not trying to deter you, just make sure you have all your T's crossed and your I's dotted. I wish you the very best of success.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 AM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

"Wheels, Wings & Rails"

" (Name's ) Hobby Service and Supply"

"(Name's) Radio Control Recreation"
Old 06-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Javier-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

HOWER TOBBIES...isn´t original?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:24 PM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

Free Beer, Free Wings, and Hobbies.

Not sure you'll get the right foot traffic with that name, but hey, out of the box thinking has to start somewhere.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:24 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Free Beer,
There is a motorcycle shop I have been in a few times that sometimes has free beer, I can't say it made me go there more, its not very close to my home, but i always liked the idea.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Bah just get an attractive cashier with big jugs that likes to wear tight clothing, and you will get tons of guys in shopping once word gets out. Won't matter what the name is.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Forget the free beer ... get this girl to work in your store. She'll have your store full of customers in no time. In just 5 days the guy selling this plane had over 10,000 views of his ad. All he posted were pictures of her posing with his plane. So imagine what this girl can do for your customer base if you actually had her (and not a picture) in your store!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29041.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1776320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49278.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1776321  
Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Foolish Husband Hobbies.

I spent a dozen years managing small businesses, and flirted with owning a hobby shop on several occasions. Several things to consider:
1) You won't own the business - it will own you. Figure on six fourteen-hour days a week, no vacation, no benefits, and phone calls at home if you aren't open at 10PM when someone breaks something (or 1 AM if they've been drinking).
2) Your relationship with your wife will suffer. The business is a jealous mistress, and will consume your mind.
3) If you don't have what the customer wants in stock, at or below mail-order prices, you are simply giving free advice.
4) It will take a sizeable investment to be competitive. At one point, I had $250K in cash to invest - and figured I could run a year before hitting the break-even point.
5) If you beat all the odds and survive long enough to create a solid, profitable hobby shop in your market - you will attract a chain to open in your market. It's like building a McDonald's - here comes Burger King and Taco Bell....

Something like 70% of new small businesses go under in the first three years. I'd bet it's higher for hobby shops.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

Foolish Husband Hobbies.

I spent a dozen years managing small businesses, and flirted with owning a hobby shop on several occasions. Several things to consider:
1) You won't own the business - it will own you. Figure on six fourteen-hour days a week, no vacation, no benefits, and phone calls at home if you aren't open at 10PM when someone breaks something (or 1 AM if they've been drinking).
2) Your relationship with your wife will suffer. The business is a jealous mistress, and will consume your mind.
3) If you don't have what the customer wants in stock, at or below mail-order prices, you are simply giving free advice.
4) It will take a sizeable investment to be competitive. At one point, I had $250K in cash to invest - and figured I could run a year before hitting the break-even point.
5) If you beat all the odds and survive long enough to create a solid, profitable hobby shop in your market - you will attract a chain to open in your market. It's like building a McDonald's - here comes Burger King and Taco Bell....

Something like 70% of new small businesses go under in the first three years. I'd bet it's higher for hobby shops.

or opening a general store 3 weeks later walmart will open next door to you, and drastically undercut you till you go bankrupt

personally if I was doing a hobby shop I'd start out small just selling stuff on ebay. Actually you can just parts out new vehicles on ebay and turn a good profit look at what plcman does with savages his auctions sell out within hours (that is with him putting up 30 of the item at a time). Just get the vendor thing, and buy cases of trucks to dismantle em, and bag the parts.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

Foolish Husband Hobbies.

Good advice. I was in businesses most of my adult life and in the mid-nineties I finally got tired of living my business and dealing with the red tape! You need a good business model that will work and in this country that is getting harder and harder to survive in business. You have to have gobs of financial capital on hand and the governments state, county, federal, etc could care less about your business or you. They want to own you and consume you bit by bit with all the additional cost to run a business. They want your head just under water catching an occasional breath and still dreaming that you can be the one that makes it...been there done that. Make sure you know ALL the ins and outs.

I think 250k is reasonable amount unless you just wanted a small business you could probably work 100k if you did not go to far with inventory. 50 grand doesn't buy a lot of inventory these days. It will get sucked up fast. You have to be shrewd with vendors too. They will also suck you dry - they just want you to make that big order and they can be ruthless. All this aside one can still make it however as stated can/will consume you.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Good advice. I was in businesses most of my adult life and in the mid-nineties I finally got tired of living my business and dealing with the red tape! You need a good business model that will work and in this country that is getting harder and harder to survive in business. You have to have gobs of financial capital on hand and the governments state, county, federal, etc could care less about your business or you. They want to own you and consume you bit by bit with all the additional cost to run a business. They want your head just under water catching an occasional breath and still dreaming that you can be the one that makes it...been there done that. Make sure you know ALL the ins and outs.

I think 250k is reasonable amount unless you just wanted a small business you could probably work 100k if you did not go to far with inventory. 50 grand doesn't buy a lot of inventory these days. It will get sucked up fast. You have to be shrewd with vendors too. They will also suck you dry - they just want you to make that big order and they can be ruthless. All this aside one can still make it however as stated can/will consume you.
Tell me about the government trying to screw you. Tried getting a business license in my city 6 HOURS in city hall, and all we came out with was with the same exact info we read on the web site(which was 3 lines) from the HEAD of the department(she was some young ditz in her early 20's), and a huge parking bill for the lot(cause going to city hall here isn't free, hell nothing is in this city)... They couldn't even tell us what type of zoning we would need...
Old 06-27-2012, 05:45 PM
BobbyMcGee

First, every supplier will force you to order their full line of products for your opening order. That order will total 25k~50k, depending on vendor. This will happen with all vendors. Many ofthe products you will not want because you know they willnever sell, and you will be stuck with. But they don't care, it's their way of off-loading their junk.

Next comes fees, taxes, insurance, leasing agreements, more spent money, added expenses that no one told you about, headaches, more fees, more costs, more taxes ... and you stillhaven't opened the store yet.

Then, you will see that people don't want what you have in your store, so you will have to special order it for them. Then you will notice how cheap everyone is. They will want you to compete with every price out there.

If you love the hobby, then it might be good for you, but don't expect to make any money. Rather, you will lose money ... a lot of money, and you will be working for $1 an hour.

The Pros;
It will get you out of the house.
Your wife will leave you.

The Cons;
Your girlfriend will also leave you.
You will lose your house.
The hot 20something cashier you hired tolure in customers will not sleep with you.

You really should re-title this topic to, Not going to open my own LHS.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

Brace your self for this name.............................................. .The Hobby Shop.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: BobbyMcGee

First, every supplier will force you to order their full line of products for your opening order. That order will total 25k~50k, depending on vendor. This will happen with all vendors. Many of the products you will not want because you know they will never sell, and you will be stuck with. But they don't care, it's their way of off-loading their junk.

Next comes fees, taxes, insurance, leasing agreements, more spent money, added expenses that no one told you about, headaches, more fees, more costs, more taxes ... and you still haven't opened the store yet.

Then, you will see that people don't want what you have in your store, so you will have to special order it for them. Then you will notice how cheap everyone is. They will want you to compete with every price out there.

If you love the hobby, then it might be good for you, but don't expect to make any money. Rather, you will lose money ... a lot of money, and you will be working for $1 an hour.

The Pros;
It will get you out of the house.
Your wife will leave you.

The Cons;
Your girlfriend will also leave you.
You will lose your house.
The hot 20something cashier you hired to lure in customers will not sleep with you.

You really should re-title this topic to, Not going to open my own LHS.
1st, and 3rd con
#2 is what the YMCA's are for

you forgot one other pro you will have an assload of RC's to play with errrr test out for recommendation purposes
Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Forget the free beer ... get this girl to work in your store. She'll have your store full of customers in no time. In just 5 days the guy selling this plane had over 10,000 views of his ad. All he posted were pictures of her posing with his plane. So imagine what this girl can do for your customer base if you actually had her (and not a picture) in your store!
I bet she doesn't get paid minimum wage though
Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 PM
harleydoberman

I have a hobby shop in NJ. Save your money. You will ruin your hobby and in NJ retail is very hard with high cost of real estate. If you do not stock items
you will not get very many orders. People can order themselves and save the tax. (a big concern with hobby people) I have 300k in stock and adding all time.
I used to love this hobby now it is a drag!!!!

Think long and hard.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 PM
harleydoberman

PS I forgot to add YOU ARE IN COMPETITION WITH ALL YOUR SUPPLIERS not a good business model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.