Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New CGRCjets super scale A-10

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New CGRCjets super scale A-10

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 PM
cgrcjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New CGRCjets super scale A-10

ORIGINAL: wowplanes

Chris,
Who is they?
Fahim

Sorry Fahim. Even though i would like to advertise for there great work, thats part of my classified operation. I can say it was not very cheap.

They even found things that i did not see after years of picking the A-10 apart. Did you know the pave penny sensor is not symetrical on the leading edge and trailing edge? I didnt until i was looking over the model. If you look at the real one very closely you will see that the leading edge is shorter than the trailing edge. Thats for one instance and shows you the level of detail they are doing on it.

chris
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 AM
wowplanes

Sorry Chris, didn't mean to pry. Just was confused when I saw the "they".

BTW, you are doing a fabulous job. Keep up the good work. The A10 is my favorite warbird.

Fahim
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 AM
cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: wowplanes

Sorry Chris, didn't mean to pry. Just was confused when I saw the ''they''.

BTW, you are doing a fabulous job. Keep up the good work. The A10 is my favorite warbird.

Fahim
Thanks Fahim. They, is the modeling company i am using. They are modeling the basic airframe and im modeling all the extra details. Yes, A-10 is my favorite as well.

thanks
chris
Old 05-15-2012, 06:36 PM
rfrantz

Chris, I see your up to your arse with your super scale effort but I'm going to ask a silly question anyway. Are you able to produce an earlier version at this time? I'm sure the new offering will be well worth the wait but that may be my reason to own two of your fine models.

If anyone has one of Chris' kits they would like to part with or knows of any dealer who might have one in stock please let me know. I'm jonesing bad for a decent A-10 EDF that doesn't cost upwards of 5K.

Thanks
Bob
Old 05-15-2012, 07:10 PM
cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: rfrantz

Chris, I see your up to your arse with your super scale effort but I'm going to ask a silly question anyway. Are you able to produce an earlier version at this time? I'm sure the new offering will be well worth the wait but that may be my reason to own two of your fine models.

If anyone has one of Chris' kits they would like to part with or knows of any dealer who might have one in stock please let me know. I'm jonesing bad for a decent A-10 EDF that doesn't cost upwards of 5K.

Thanks
Bob
Hi Bob
I could still make you an older version if you really wanted. Or you could wait and see if someone wants to give theres up. That route may be a bit faster for you. John at r/c wherehouse in San Diego might still have a few. Not sure how complete they are.

thanks
chris
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM
rfrantz

Thanks Chris, I'll give John a call tomorrow. How long would it be for you to lay up a kit?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:09 PM
sam@ata
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you had mentioned the Pave Penny Pod mount. I took alot of measurements on this one as pictured and can forward to you for reference. Now if i can get the measurements for that antenna just aft of the cockpit. I wasnt allowed to crawl over the plane but only around and under it while i was drooling

Looks like i cant upload pics, internal error on the server. Will this site ever be truely fixed????? Ill try tomorrow

Ok the uploads worked!!!!!!

For now at least i decided to leave the pod off since this unit doenst use it. The C's are wired for the SNIPER and LANTIRN pods out on the wing stations and according to the Warthog plogs, the Pave Penny is used if the flight wants to tag team for each other in a combat enviroment that way not every plane has to have its own high dollar pods.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29623.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1763300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31189.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1763301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29788.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1763302  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM
cgrcjet

Heres mine. I machined these out today since i am still waiting on completion of the cad model. You can see how much more detail the new pod will have over the old. Still have some bits left to do on it but its looking much better than the older one. Still needing more panel lines and rivets. Unfortunately i cannot use the old mount seeings the airframe will be slightly larger.

chris

Name:	Zx69796.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1763336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20734.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1763337  
Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 AM
sam@ata

I look with much enthusiasim and think of the plastic models I use to build. Your new effort is really my ultimAte " plastic" model kit that I could detail to the max. Best of all I won't need my glasses to appreciate the details.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 AM
McsGuy
My Feedback: (1)

This constant stream of discussion and photos is sure keeping my anticipation strong. I can't wait to get my hands on the new unit. It's probably not helping that everytime I walk into the shop I see those two Stumax 110's staring at me like a couple of orange eye balls I also now know what Sam is referring to regarding an "internal server error" [:@]

Joe
Old 05-17-2012, 04:12 PM
cgrcjet

Im anticipating the finish line on the 3d model so i can kick myself in the butt and get going. Its a month over its due date but im also glad that they are taking the time to make it accurate.

Dont worry Joe. You will have eyes in the sky before you know it.

chris
Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

tell them to hurry up and get it done! you need some plugs that are ready to be molded b/c it looks like i'll be back in sarasota June 11-14!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 PM
cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: invertmast

tell them to hurry up and get it done! you need some plugs that are ready to be molded b/c it looks like i'll be back in sarasota June 11-14!
I know. Im anxious to start cutting. Good, when you come down you could help with some molding.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:58 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: invertmast

I know. Im anxious to start cutting. Good, when you come down you could help with some molding.
I'm up for it..
Old 05-27-2012, 07:14 PM
cgrcjet

Pulled a couple parts today. Heres the results.

chris

Name:	Ol31566.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1766498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32569.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1766499  
Old 05-27-2012, 07:23 PM
McsGuy
My Feedback: (1)

Nice Chris! My eye is untrained and inexperienced but the level of detail looks to me to be very crisp and in depth and the surface finish flawless.

(So those are mine, right? )

Joe
Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 PM
cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: McsGuy

Nice Chris! My eye is untrained and inexperienced but the level of detail looks to me to be very crisp and in depth and the surface finish flawless.

(So those are mine, right? )

Joe
Hi Joe
For the most part they came out as i expected. The surface coat had a few cracks in it here and there im guessing because of the heat thats been coming on here in Florida. Curing too fast maybe. Some resin leaked through between the part and the mold when bagging but it was not to bad. Peels off somewhat easy. I usually use the grey vinylester but decided to try the white again. Sprays a bit different. Parts i think came out a bit heavier than i wanted. I used fast cure hardener which i probably should have not because it was hot out. I dont think the resin had enough time to suck through the perforated plastic under vaccum before it gel over.

Sorry Joe, these will be going to Tam for some testing.

chris
Old 05-30-2012, 05:49 PM
cgrcjet

Hinged and a coat of paint. Used #00 steel wool and 320 where there was no detail then cleaned with acetone before paint.

chris

Name:	Bz77867.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1767436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88883.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1767437  
Old 06-27-2012, 05:40 AM
sam@ata

Hey Chris, the weather causing havoc down your way i see. Any progress on the plane?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM
cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: sam@ata

Hey Chris, the weather causing havoc down your way i see. Any progress on the plane?
Hi Sam
Ya, weather has been pretty crazy here. All gone now though.

Unfortunately progress slowed a bit over the last couple weeks as we were given 8 days to move from the house we were in because it sold. That was very exciting as we were looking at buying a house for the last 3 months and did not want to rent again. Bad thing is, that all the rentals were being takin up by people that had been foreclosed on and the investors have been stealing all the good buys. Yes very exciting not knowing where you are going to live in 8 days. We have moved 3 times since we have been here last August. We were very lucky to get a great buy at the last minute and able to close in 2 days. No more moving! All this just scratches the very surface. This last month has been the worst month ever.

Anyways, enough of the personal life. I was able to machine out the plugs for the front and back canopies as these will both be removable on this new version. I have been expiromenting with different material for some of the larger parts, like high density polyurethane foam. I ordered ultra light mdf to machine the canopies and it seemed to machine a bit quicker than the standard mdf as its less dense. I am still adjusting the cad model on how i want it all to fit together. Design phase is the most important part ofcourse and i am re adjusting how the parts will fit up for convenience for layups and assembly. The old kit is a bit time consuming for me to make the parts to building an ARF and price of shipping. Im trying to ease up the time and cost on the overall process. I have been editing the main wing to fit up like the real A-10 and will put the top part of the wheel faring into the wing mold for ease of layup and assembly. These pics are what i am shooting for as i think it will be easier to bolt the main wing and ofcourse, its the real A-10. I also plan on doing the wheel fairing to open where they refuel it.

Name:	Bz79503.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1776408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55658.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1776410  
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2012, 03:55 AM
sam@ata

Wow, sounds like i need to reconsider moving to FL with all that going on. When investors buy a house they run the price up and as you have found out, no good deals or they are extremely hard to find at the right time.

You having to pull up roots and your shop setup, well that takes time and to reset just makes it hard in the middle of crafting a new plane. Hope all works out and you get back on track so ill keep watching the thread.

Sam
Old 06-28-2012, 05:51 AM
cgrcjet

ORIGINAL: sam@ata

Wow, sounds like i need to reconsider moving to FL with all that going on. When investors buy a house they run the price up and as you have found out, no good deals or they are extremely hard to find at the right time.

You having to pull up roots and your shop setup, well that takes time and to reset just makes it hard in the middle of crafting a new plane. Hope all works out and you get back on track so ill keep watching the thread.

Sam
Ya. Our problem was that our agent was slow at submitting offers. Alot of these agents are investors to. Our agent told us that her fellow agent had offers in on like 10 different properties.

I have had to reset shop twice now in the middle of this project but i think now things are gonna be more stable from here out.

chris
Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 PM
cgrcjet

Slicing the 3d model up. Gives an idea how things will fit together. Just need to edit the fuse at the main wing and finish the engine area up and get ready to make some cut files.

chris

Name:	Gd94005.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1776757  
Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 PM
cgrcjet

One more round of editing and time to start cutting. Finished engine area and have a bit more to do on the fuse at main wing. Im still tossing around idea of doing separate engine nacelles. I think they would be easier layup but i would be giving up access at the engine area. Decisions , decisions.

chris

Name:	Sq47541.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	1776993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95293.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1776994  
Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 AM
cgrcjet

Finished up editing fuse at main wing. Not square like the pic of the real A-10 as it has the top wing profile but i think thats close enough.

I think i will start with an easier part like the wheel fairing. I had ordered some 2 part 8# density expandable urethane foam but i think i will go with a 16# density instead. The 16# density is about half the density of the ultra light mdf board that i used. Right now i only have the 8# which i will try on the wheel fairing. I will offset the surfaces on the model by about a 1/4", machine it out with wide stepover to save time and poor urethane cast resin over the foam. After that i will re machine it out at actual size with a tight stepover. The cast resin machines out with a nicer and easier to work with surface. The 8# density foam is rigid but still has porosity that i do not want to deal with and i want to eliminate any fiberglassing the surface. I have not tried the 16# foam yet but i am assuming it should have less porosity that i would be able to fill or smooth out with filler on the larger parts.

chris

Name:	Zx70679.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1777176  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.