Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new Tornado sport jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new Tornado sport jet

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 PM
rcpm5
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The new Tornado sport jet

i to am greafull for henry bringthe low cost tornado tomarket. however, that does not mean there is isn't room for improvement.
especially the poor gluing or lack of gluing on the formers, which is a common complaint thought out this tread.

ORIGINAL: maydog75

Personally I think of it as the "nitro planes" of turbines, and no I'm not talking about kit moding like the falcon. It's a $500 turbine airframe. Seems like a lot of money but realistically in the turbine world it's a just the price of a bifurcated pipe or some wheels. Of course there is going to be issues with building it but I still think its cool to have a company trying to get people into the turbine world cheaply. Thus far Henry has been great imo on this thread about helping and customer service. Maybe some people should pay a few mortgage payments to BVM then try to get some customer service, keep holding your breath. I did.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:55 AM
Heliman4213
My Feedback: (1)

Yes the formers are an issue and have been along with many other things. Do we have to wait for the V10 to have them fixed? Plain and simple, these issues should be FIXED. Formers that have fallen out are you kidding?Bad. I have a list I have been putting togather as I built mine of problems as well as issues that were brought to my attention from someone else. He has helped with some of the issues.If anyone wants my list emailme and I will send what Ihave. Yes I know its not a Skymaster or BVM but come on,formers falling out,there is noEXCUSE for that no matter how much the plane cost.Last thought,its not a matter of bringing up an issue and someone sayingdo XYZ to fix it,we know how to fix it,the issue should not be there to begin with,not when they have been brought up in previous versions!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:02 AM
Xairflyer

Problem seems to be the chineese glue, I dont know what it is that they use but it is crap, same stuff still being used from the first bobcat 52 (smaller version) I got 5 years ago. If it was your own factory producing these things then it would be very easy to sort, but when it is one of these chineese factorys that only care about how many hundred you want then a different matter.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:35 AM
5skyhawk172

Not very happy with my V3.  Talk about formers not being glued.  Mine is the worst I've ever seen.  But it does have a nice paint job.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:10 AM
TimWatson
Banned

ORIGINAL: Heliman4213

Yes the formers are an issue and have been along with many other things. Do we have to wait for the V10 to have them fixed? Plain and simple, these issues should be FIXED. Formers that have fallen out are you kidding?Bad. I have a list I have been putting togather as I built mine of problems as well as issues that were brought to my attention from someone else. He has helped with some of the issues.If anyone wants my list emailme and I will send what Ihave. Yes I know its not a Skymaster or BVM but come on,formers falling out,there is noEXCUSE for that no matter how much the plane cost.Last thought,its not a matter of bringing up an issue and someone sayingdo XYZ to fix it,we know how to fix it,the issue should not be there to begin with,not when they have been brought up in previous versions!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The point of these forums is to share issues and advice. Dont ask people to PM you for the things you have found. Post the list here so that other people may benefit
Old 06-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Not very happy with my V3"

Guys, this is still a hobby. There hasn't been one arf that I have ever bought that I didn't modify to "my" expectations.

If you have expectations that exceed the norm, then take the time to make those changes. Don't expect the world to meet your specific needs. Because my needs are going to be a lot different than yours.

Thanks Henry and team for an making an affordable jet!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 AM
rcpm5
My Feedback: (2)

this is sharing of issues and here is some advice.  i used hysol 9462 with the long mixing nozzle to re-glue my formers -  9462 is white, easy to see and doesn't sag.  what a difference.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Xairflyer

What about this for a front former, apart from the glue they use being useless, it would at least stand a chance if it was there
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68418.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1776584  
Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This all sounds so familiar, pic below shows the formers pushed out of a Falcon 120 LOL

Mike

Name:	Xv63928.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1776589  
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 AM
5skyhawk172

After seeing Xairflyers picture one of my formers isn't even there!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 AM
megafly

In my Tornado V1 i pulled out all the formers and reglue them, I tought they have solved this problem.... [:@]
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 AM
ModellbauUK

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

What about this for a front former, apart from the glue they use being useless, it would at least stand a chance if it was there
Is that a photo of a V3? Didn't think there was any on this side of the pond!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Heliman4213

As for the comment from one of you that says,"you have never bought an ARF to meet your expectations or some words like that", I dont think its high expectations to want ther formers glued in do you? Read all the posts this is just one of the issues that people are having unless we all have high expectations?I guess if this is high expectations to not have the formers fall out on the floor than i guess my expectations are high then. As for the other comment I did try to post the Word Document with the list and it wont let me so that is why I said what I did to give the list out. Im sure you people can figure it out if they want the list and cant you see thats why i told people about it for help. It will make it ten times easier to know what the problems are before its to late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone knows how to post a Word Document then let me know
Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: 5skyhawk172

That small former is only in the way anyway, I just gave it a wiggle and it came out clean
Old 06-28-2012, 01:10 PM
lenhard2007
My Feedback: (6)

i will say this.... the tornado isnt really a arf in my opioin is almost borderline kit and yes it has issues that need to be addressed and they take time to address them. ive built both v2 and v3 and was throwing every curse word i knew at both of them. but once its in the air and u see how well it performs then all the headaches from building one go away.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:48 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Heliman4213

..... If anyone knows how to post a Word Document then let me know
Just copy the text from the Word Doc and paste it in a post.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:17 PM
ModellbauUK

ORIGINAL: 5skyhawk172

Don't think that's a V3 he's showing as V3 stocks haven't even arrived in the UK yet. Probably a Navycat as its very similar to the one I saw at Classic Jets.

Not an issue if the formers are loose as gives you the option to fit a carbon tray if you decide to go that route. Besides they are not structural and a fillet of Hysol is easily to add to secure in their final position. At least that way you know they are definitely secure. Not an isolated issue as is quite common in artf kits I have found. Still end up with a brilliant model though.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Mike06659

I have a set of Sabredog wheels,brakes, struts, and retracts for sale if anyone is interested. The front strut is pretty beat up but the mains are in good shape. $325 shipped to your door.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Heliman4213

Tornado Problem List
· Formers loose or no glue on them at all
· Front former not even glued in, fell out
· Front wing tube does not line up, had to move fiberglass tube and drill new hole
· Wing mounting holes in the front don't line up, when you line it up where it needs to go it's not even in wood only in the fiberglass
· Nose gear steering arm hits wood mounting blocks
· Bottom fuse hatch was loose, needed more glue
· Bottom fuse hatch does not fit
· Wheel pants don't fit at all, require heating and forming
· Canopy and tub do not fit at all, major rework
· Two of the blind nuts in the wing were very loose, used Hysol to put them in
· Crack in the nose of the plane, fiberglass crack
·

Hope this helps someone,more to add later
Old 06-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Xairflyer

Yes it is a yellow/blue NavyCat, its funny how they copied the exact same scheme as the tornado with the white rudders elevators and ailerons. Even the stupid black/grey bit in front of the canopy, yellow for grey and blue for orange. No originality in these Chinese factorys at all.

I suppose the scheme came originally from the BVM bobcat.

Name:	Tr50874.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1776711  
Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 PM
ModellbauUK

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

Yes it is a yellow/blue NavyCat, its funny how they copied the exact same scheme as the tornado with the white rudders elevators and ailerons. Even the stupid black/grey bit in front of the canopy, yellow for grey and blue for orange. No originality in these Chinese factorys at all.

I suppose the scheme came originally from the BVM bobcat.
For a start the V3 isn't available in the Grey/Orange scheme and secondly why post pictures of problems you've had with the Navy Cat when describing issues with the V3? I saw a Navy Cat at Classic Jets and other than the shape of the fuselage the similarity ends there. As for the new colour scheme similarities, what the heck! Does it really matter?

The general issue seems to be the glue on the formers but this really isn't a big issue. All the kits that arrive in the UK i'll inspect and if needs be I will run a fillet of Hysol around them to fix them in position.

Just for info we'll be taking the V3 to Jetpower 2012 and it will be flown by one of the top UK jet pilots

Ian
Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Notwithstanding all the above, the price bracket this jet is in, does mean that some corners will be cut, if its only those that can be seen and easily remedied then for the cost, what the heck, its not rocket science to get an extremely easy flying jet for a comparably small outlay, please keep this in mind when comparing like for like as I don't think there is anything in the same bracket.

Mike
Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: ModellbauUK

For a start the V3 isn't available in the Grey/Orange scheme and secondly why post pictures of problems you've had with the Navy Cat when describing issues with the V3? I saw a Navy Cat at Classic Jets and other than the shape of the fuselage the similarity ends there. As for the new colour scheme similarities, what the heck! Does it really matter?

Ian
Never mentioned or compared to a tornado V3, or complained about a Navycat, someone mentioned bad gluing, I replied with my findings, which are the same, if there is still former gluing problems on a V3 of a jet, then that it just bad, should have been addressed when the first "improved" falcon 120 copy came out or at the very least V2.

If I could'nt get the factory to change glues (or should I say use glue) then I would tell them send the fuselage without the formers glued in, save having to break them out and glue them back in properly.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Jetfan20
My Feedback: (21)

You get what you pay for! They are pumping them out as fast as they get orders and cutting corners more and more along the way. This is suppose to be a jet trainer/beginner, well for a beginner he/she may not notice all the defects and crash their model do to this. I have followed this thread along time and noticed only the company commenting on the shipment and selling but nothing backing up the defects and if they have commented on a complaint they blame it on the modeller. I don't care if it's a $500 kit or arf it's still $500 dollars and yes we should expect great care in certain parts of the plane at the facility. If we have to go back and buy a Hysol kit and glue to do their work then the cost rises. Yes we should examine all airplanes before building, but say kit not arf.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Jamie C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the Navycat which i test flew for a friend at Classic jets last friday, it is powered by a Jetcat P80 and he told me he had quite a few issues in the build mostly due to the formers which has already been mentioned, there were other minor alignment issues but nothing major. For what he payed he was not expecting it to be BVM standard but he is happy with it and is pleased with the way it flew and he did not mind the extra work. I appreciate that there should be no excuse for shoddy manufacturing but they are built to a budget and like it or not it does show as a result.

Name:	Fd91471.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1776849  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.