Notices
MRC Charger Product Support (i.e. Super Brain, etc) Tim Sandor of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your MRC questions here!

977 fan bearing???

Old 03-22-2010, 01:08 AM
tdcombat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 977 fan bearing???

My 977 is less than a year old, and very lightly used at that. Works great so far.

It just developed a problem though. It sounds as if the cooling fan on the charger itself has a bad bearing. It hums and haws and sputters, then with me shaking and tilting it back and forth, settles into it's groove and purrs nicely. If I bump it, it goes off again. Probably a bearing/bushing, question is what do I do. I'm sure I could open it up and lube it, but what if it turns out to be something else or void my warranty, all that sort of stuff.

Please advise. I am located in Canada.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 06-06-2010, 08:56 PM
bowbender
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: 977 fan bearing???

I have the exact same problem with a charger that is several years old. Sometimes the fan doesn't start at all but if I bump the charger or blow on the fan then it starts. Other times it will be running fine but then if I move the charger slightly it will start making a crazy buzzing sound and the fan speed slows down a bit. Not sure what the issue is. I've had mine apart but couldn't figure out anything. The fan is very simple so I'm not sure if it could be repaired or would just need to be replaced.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:39 AM
Vortec_Rat

I recently brought my 969 out of storage and had the same problem. I opened it up, cleaned the fan with some CRC (WD40), and blew it out with some compressed air. No more funny noises. Yes, there is a bearing but I think it's mostly the dirt and dust that the fan will pick up that causes that noise. The dustier the environment (like a garage or basement), the faster it will happen. As for the warranty, I'd say do this at your own risk. My 969 is close to 7 years old so I'm way out of any warranty.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:17 PM
JS_Electric

Regular cleaning and greasing is the best way to protect all appliances from being damaged. Every commercial electrician takes care of all these basic things.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:27 AM
tdcombat

Shameless plug if I ever ever saw one...