Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

outdoor heli

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:01 AM
vrodlaw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outdoor heli

I am wanting to get a large outdoor fixed pitch heli any ideas what brand i should go with?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:08 AM
TakeshiSkunk

Default RE: outdoor heli

I have no personal experience with FP at all, but I think the Esky Honeybee tends to be a popular choice.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:31 PM
vrodlaw

Looks like everyone is out of stock on that one. Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 AM
denodan

Think Like Coaxal Helicopters, fix pitch are not to good flying in any wind, seen a demo somewhere on You Tube showing this. varyable pitch Helis do better, but much harder to fly.

Quad copters do well in wind. Have a AR Drone, does well in resonable wind, and the Blade MQX does well in some wind also, but have no faith in Fixed pitch or Coaxal unless dead calm, no wind conditions, which is why i got a Blade450, at least it does not have to be dead calm to fly.

Maybe someone can add further, if I am correct, but I know videos I have seen show coaxal and fixed pitch not doing so well in any wind.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:17 AM
twoslick2

I agree with denodan. I have a Blade 120 fp heli and I can fly it in a very slight wind but it dosen't do very well in gusts. Your best bet for outside is a collective pitch heli.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 PM
szwjh041

I have fly syma, it's nice. S032 maybe your choice.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:36 AM
70x7

I tried to do alot of research on this, being a beginner myself I didn't want to waste any money on my first "real" helicopter. After much looking into, I went with the Exceed Madhawk 300 (clone of the Walkera HB180. It is supposed to be as stable as can be to help make the transition from coaxial (which is what I'm doing). I dropped about $160 from xheli.com. It shows up next week, and I'll be posting to let folks how it goes.
I really struggled to know if one is supposed to go straight from coaxial to collective pitch, or if we should make a stop at fixed pitch. In the end, I went with what (I believe) will be the lowest frustration and least crashes (I hope)understanding that fixed pitch is not the goal.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 PM
denodan

ORIGINAL: 70x7

I tried to do alot of research on this, being a beginner myself I didn't want to waste any money on my first "real" helicopter. After much looking into, I went with the Exceed Madhawk 300 (clone of the Walkera HB180. It is supposed to be as stable as can be to help make the transition from coaxial (which is what I'm doing). I dropped about $160 from xheli.com. It shows up next week, and I'll be posting to let folks how it goes.
I really struggled to know if one is supposed to go straight from coaxial to collective pitch, or if we should make a stop at fixed pitch. In the end, I went with what (I believe) will be the lowest frustration and least crashes (I hope)understanding that fixed pitch is not the goal.

I gave up on Helicopters, the learning curve is to steep, takes ages before you can fly these things well, and crash more often then fly. Went to quadcopters, can fly out of the box, not a lot of a learning curve, stable as anything, and good with a camera onboard.

Also a minor crash does not hurt them, far more rebust then any helicopter, you just tip a heli over and repair job, and slight crash a repair job, love quads, for me a far better choice, and don't have to worry about takes ages to learn to fly.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just one opinion here....to me learning to fly helicopters is like....learning to ride a bike...snow ski...water ski....golf....well not golf...thats always frustrating......it's a lot of frustration at first..then one day it clicks and you get all excited and then you learn and get better MUCH faster...it's getting over that initial hump of learning to hover and fly circles, etc. Thats when the real fun begins.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 PM
denodan

I personally think for many, RC will be a thing of the past, due to the rise of the Quadcopter, they are the easist way to fly, a lot more rebust in a crash, a slight crash on a collective Heli and they need repairs.

Quad can take a lot more punishment, due to no moving parts, apart from the blades and motors.

Helicopters are just to high maintance, due to so many moving parts and are delicate.

Think Quads are the way many will go other then Hardcore flyers.

Your going to see the quad become a lot more popular, and due to their stablity are easy to fly, and better for anyone who just wants to fly, without to steep learning curve.

maintance is also far less then Helis.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:20 AM
madmorgan

well obviously then none of you have ever heard of the mcpx and even the pros crash . some people pick it up in a day some people pick it up in a year some will never pick it up. the biggest problem is , and this is my .02 and dont want to hurt feelings but people walk through the malls and they see them little shops that move on a moments notice, usually right around xmas. but theres a guy there flying all these differant heli's and they look so cool so you stop and ask about them . they dont seem to expensive (at first) so you get one i remember the syma (biggest most worthless thing i ever seen , the sad part about it was them guys make their money on them because who knows about forums and xheli etc etc. so you master the coaxle in what 2 hours?  and about 6 hours later or 5 charges later the heli wont get off the ground anymore so you start googling remote control heli's , and you find out how big the hobby is and all the differant cool birds out there etc etc. then you say oh that one is cheap and it looks cool let me get one (myself i said i will learn how to fly but im not going with the cheaper fp coax yadda yadda so i bought a blade 400 to learn on) but one of the biggest problems is your not willing to spend a little extra for a better product, im guilty of it but in the long run cash is king in this hobby and while some go out and get the best because they can afford it and others get what they can afford or they decide early on like deondan and said yeah i cant do this let me look at other avenues and got into quads. the other thing is are you going it alone i did and still am i never knew of the mcpx and had quite a few heli's before i heard a guy talking about it and decided to see what the hype was about got a bnf version and havent looked back , nose in hovers ,fff, even inverted it came much quicker with the little guy. basically you have to have good hand eye coordination, quick reflexes, and a bit of mechanical ability, im teaching my brother as i gave him a exi 450 and a dx6i hes wrecked it can barely hover i let him try the mcpx and withing 3 packs hes already doing fwd flight and can hover. next will be nose in  and thats in about 3 hours lol
Old 07-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Iagree with you madmorgan....I have an mSR and have never replaced a thing...it has crashed a million times....all my friends fly it its that easy to learn on the thing. Ihave heard of the mcpx....and will probably get one at some point. I learned on a Raptor 50...no help..just this forum....the only time Icrashed was from a low battery from flying to many times without charging it(my dumb mistake when Iwas first learning). Ilearned to hover in a few days....with training gear it was pretty easy actually......just had to get over the intimidation factor as a rookie. Quads might just be the future....but to be honest....Ienjoy tinkering....fixing things.....its a challenge. The challenge of flying a rc heli is...well a challenge!! I'm not gonna let this thing get the best of me!! The rest is history.