Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox iGyro

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox iGyro

Old 06-02-2012, 11:35 AM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Powerbox iGyro

ORIGINAL: Richi-d

Hi Guys,

you can enable the Digital output. Then on Elevator B and Rudder you get a S-Bus output. It can be used to go into a SRS PowerBox, but you can also use it for S-Bus application. The channels you select for control surfaces in the ''Input Maping'' Menue are then with gyro signal on the output
I am setting up my first jet with the PowerBox Cometition SRS, IGyro, and SBus Futaba 6203 rxs is this manner and so far it is working great. Have not flown yet though.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:53 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jzuniga

ORIGINAL: quist

I am running sBus to igyro for the 5 channels. AIL A and B, ELE a and b, and rudder. The other channels are plugged into channel 1-8 on the rx which is going through a power expander from Smarfly. I actually have the sBus also plugged into one channel of the PE.

I just removed it from the little pattern plane and installed it in the Aeroworks P-51. I am going to fly it in the morning.
That's kinda what I thought? I guess with sbus servos though, you'd have to assign and plug the correct servo in to the igyro?

Z
Actually I have changed the setup. All the servos are going through the Powerexpander. I have the sbus cable plugged from the rx to the igyo, then the igyro's 5 channels get plugged into the power expander. Both the igyro and rx are mounted on the power expander. Using it this way gives each servo the benifit of the power expander.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54689.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1768418  
Old 06-29-2012, 01:16 PM
leopaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spend 4 hours on mine today...I always have the no sensor message on the GPS state even if it's connected.....

I also have always temp reading of - -

I tried to download and install the powerbox terminal software to update it, but impossible to get this software running on the 3 computers i have home here......

Do someone else can share is experience with the updating software??

Or do may i just got a defective unit right of the box from Dreamworks?? For sure, the software is 2 revision old, mine as V8 and the V10 is already released, but not sure if this could fix GPS/Temp issues...

Any help appreciated!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Richi-d

Hello,

the Software V08 is working good. Just one thing: don´t press "BIND" if you didn´t select DSM2 or DSMX receiver system before! Else you have to send the unit back!

The PowerBox Terminal is only running on XP machines. Win7 will come later.

What receiver system are you using? The temperature and GPS sensor will only work if the receiver brings a signal. Seems there is no bus signal from receiver, or wrong system is adjusted or the wire is connected wrong? The ground line must show to the screen side.

Can you check all his things?

Best regards
Richard
Old 06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
leopaul

The temperature and GPS sensor will only work if the receiver brings a signal.

Well, that's a good think to know, this would have save me my afternoon.....flipped my transmitter power to On and magically Gyro and temp worked....

Impossible for me to get the software running even on a xp platform....Always get ''program encountered and error and must be closed'' error message each time i click on the powerbox software install shortcut on the screen....
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 PM
ikoppel

Hello,

the Software V08 is working good. Just one thing: don´t press "BIND" if you didn´t select DSM2 or DSMX receiver system before! Else you have to send the unit back!

Why didnt Iread this 10 hours before- its exactly what Idid last night. Selected sbus for cockpit SRS, then selected "bind", It told me to power off, and off it is.
So there is no way to reset it without sending to factory?

Regards,
Ivar
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

I have my iGyro for evaluation and will test it in a PST Reaction (a very lively model in rough air due to its low wing loading) when I can get the software updated to support JR DMSS (it does NOT at the momemt) and will be used in conjunction with a PB Competition SRS fed by two PB Life packs

I am highly impressed with the device into which a very great deal of thought has obviously gone, AND it has a decent manual ! Its very similar in function to the earlier Boeing autopilots which had a CWS function, control wheel steering, which when the yoke was released maintained a/c attitude precisely (but had no rudder input, the yaw damper reamined in normal function).

One point which concerns me however: I use Flight Modes on my 12 Xs with separate trims on each function, for each mode (Flaps UP, flaps T/O/ App. and flaps LAND). As the manual says that the gyro must be zeroed in the event of any trim change I just wonder if anyone has any comment on this and the fact that pitch trim has to be moved progressively forward during the flight as fuel is burned off.

Other than that my only criticism is I think that socket polarity should be marked on the case, not left to a note in the manual. Murphy's law !

Any advice, comment ?

Regards,

David.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 AM
rc4flying

David,

I have my iGyro installed in my new Pirotti "Tuono". After the first 3 flight to set up the gyro as instruction state, I now have 6 flights using the unit in the "On" mode. I can shut it off, but so far have noticed that this thing unit is "The Cat's Meow".

During the first few flights, I had a mix setup with the flaps to off set and changes in the level flight when flaps are dropped. And there is considerable balloning when flaps are dropped before it seems that the down elevator mix takes hold. But as instructed with the "iGyro", when I swith on the gyro and shut the mix off, the plane seems not to react to adversely with the flaps being dropped.

Today, I am going out in a bit. I plan on adding more "Down Flap" to help the jet slow down, so I will take note and report later.
I am using the iGyro with my 18MZ with the 2-6203 rcvrs hooked up via the sBuss connection to the Gyro then onto the Power Box Competition with sBuss connections also. Everything is working great. Batteries are 2-Fromeco 5200 Li-Ions.

Name:	Bz79194.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	1778429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49859.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1778430  
Old 07-04-2012, 06:01 AM
RobinLeblond

Just a quick question, do you know if it working with a regular receiver, how can I setup it on my 14mz ?

Thanks,
Old 07-04-2012, 06:03 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Robin,

It requires a serial bus RX so a regular RX will not work.

Rgds
Mark
Old 07-04-2012, 06:20 AM
jeteye

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

We have one for our pilot prizes at Jets Over Kentucky Week. Really looks nice...someone is going home very happy.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:13 PM
rc4flying

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Robin,

It requires a serial bus RX so a regular RX will not work.

Rgds
Mark
My bad. Deleted my posting. I should have double checked before typing.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 PM
RobinLeblond

Well in the manual, there is only inputs for SERIAL bus, and there is only two, but it perfectly ok since I already wish to switch to s-bus, so it will be a great occasion to try it...
Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 PM
rc4flying

ORIGINAL: RobinLeblond

Well in the manual, there is only inputs for SERIAL bus, and there is only two, but it perfectly ok since I already wish to switch to s-bus, so it will be a great occasion to try it...
Again, my bad. After I typed my reply above, I went to double check. Well...... I should have checked then typed. my apologizes.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM
RobinLeblond

NP, I also did my homework after having ask, and I now understand it better... It's an amazing gyro.

But I still have one question :

How is acting the IGyro without GPS, is it stay at the gains you set, or it remove some % ?
My anwser would be that it stay at the exact values set for FM2 and FM3...

Any confirmation about this ?

Thanks,
Old 07-04-2012, 01:04 PM
rc4flying

When I set mine up, I followed the instructions as written. I setup 2 side sliders on my TX to first adjust the gyro gain as instructed then the heading lock. Then the ele. and lastly the rudder. But in the instruction they suggest setting the rudder heading lock to zero after you land. But while I was flying, i noticed that when the rudder heading is setup, It would lock on and it took a good momentary rudder input to unlock the heading. I turned the gyro off, landed and zero out the rudder heading as instruction stated and all following flights have been great.
Today I had a drifting elevator trim caused by the gyro, but after landing I found out that it was my fault when doing the "Zero Gyro" function and no resetting the end points as instructed. Did the step again and all was corrected.
I like how there is a minimal change when dropping or putting up the flaps without any mixing. Before setting up the gyro on the maiden flight, there was considerable ballooning when dropping the flaps. 12 flight with the gyro and all have gone well.

To answer your question, once you land after dialing in the gain and heading, you then lock them in to FM2 and FM3 and only change if you get into the programing and do some fine tuning.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 PM
gerhard

Today I made the first five flights with zhe I Gyro installed in my Mirage 2000. The plane without the Gyro was not bad, but with the Gyro perfect. Before Gyro installation the mirage was very sensitiv on the ailerons and a little overreacting. also the plane was sensitv on different thrust setting with some pitch moments. Now, it couldn't be better. Perfect handling now.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:14 AM
gerhard

Here some pictures of the Mirage with the I Gyro instaled. The aircraft, due to it's size in the nose area. But this saves lead. That's the reason it looks so crowded. Receiver, ECU, Pump, Switch and Batteries and now the I Gyro, all in within a few inches. No Problem for the Multiplex Rc system.

Name:	Ec87722.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	1781692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48111.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	1781693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82151.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	1781694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14982.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	1781695  
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM
ikoppel

I have trouble binding the iGyro.
I have PB competition SRS, JR 11X , and iGyro. The PB competition was previously bind to the JR.
I connected the SRS to iGyro using 2 supplied serial leads, and moved the sattellites from PB SRS to iGyro. After that Ichanged the RX mode to S-bus on RX.
I choose DSM2 as rx type on iGyro , digital out "on" ,and gave the "bind" command. After switching the receiver and iGyro off, it entered binding mode.
When i release the bind button on 11X, the light is solid yellow on sattellites, but no commands go to servos. After switching off the RX, ant then on, i get blinking yellow
on sattellites,but nothing useful happens.. The manual says to "insert bind plug on rx and then press bind on iGyro", but on competition SRSthe binding is menu based and you cannot select bind when rx type is Sbus.. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ivar
Old 07-20-2012, 01:52 AM
Richi-d

Hello,
where did you connect the serial leads from iGyro to the PowerBox. It must be connected in RX1 and RX4 in the Competition. And it must be connexted to Rudder and ELE-B on iGyro.
If it don´t work, try to look where the problem is: switch Dig.Out Off, and connect a servo to iGyro. Look if this is moving. If yes, check the settings in the PowerBox, if no, there is no signal from remotes. Check also twice if DSM2 is selected in iGyro.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:42 AM
ikoppel

Thanks a lot! I connected the leads from RX1 and RX4 to BUS1 and BUS2 .. I'll try how it works with Rudder and ELE-B ..

Ivar

Edit- everything super, it works ok now.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys using the gyro during the landing phase ? I wonder what happens when you slow down too much in the approach, your plane starts stalling and the gyro will keep fitting to stabilize the plane. In a plane without a gyro, you will get some signals when this happens and you will have some time to react, but maybe the gyro will hide all these signals (if your ailerons are connected to it).

Any experiences with this ?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 AM
rc4flying

I have only 15 flights with my iGyro setup, and i have seen no difficulty with the gyro hurting the landing approach.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:43 AM
ikoppel

How long does you iGyro's GPS search for sattelites? Mine was turned on for about 30 minutes on the ground + 10min flight, it still shows "searching"..
And nothing's shielding it.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM
rc4flying

I can't say I ever saw it locked in on anything. I will have to take note next time I go out flying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.