Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Cataracts and Color Shift

Old 08-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cataracts and Color Shift

Well, after complaining to my D.O at my annual checkup about problems with depth perception and glare problems, she shared the results of her tests....my cataracts (both eyes) have nearly doubled in discoloration and opacity since July of last year!!! It was a shock, but also a relief, as the Type II Diabetes hasn't created the amber-yellowing of the lens, and both retinas are good.

The reason I share this most-un-pattern and not very newsworthy info is the discussion about COLOR rendition that we had about the effects of the cataracts. Many of you who remember me from pattern wars of past decades remember I am a strong proponent of the very best sunglasses (prescription, if needed) that one can afford, and found my personal favorite to be Serengeti Aviators in the "brown" photochromic. Wore 'em for decades, and loved how they sharpen contrast and depth perception.

Until the cataracts. I misjudged three different landings recently, all of them totalling the airframes as a result of loss of depth perception and color-shift. My D.O. explained it perfectly - "Your cataracts are yellowish-amber- to honey colored. That makes them permanent filters and the opacity makes things darker. Put dark amber Serengeti lenses in front and add that to a change in distance acuity....You now have double filtering on a good chunk of the spectrum."

So....the long and the short....the prescription change will help with depth perception and focus sharpness, but the REAL help will be to go to neutral gray or G-15 lenses.....they are now on order, in the new prescription, so hopefully no more planes get wasted by my lack of attention to color filtering and lens opacity. If any of you are in the cataract decade, be mindful of the color shift that comes with them. So gradual, and if you're using amber or brown/yellow gradient sunglasses, you can really be giving up a LOT of color sharpness and definition.

Pattern planes are so beautiful, we need to be sure we do what we can to be able to see them like we're supposed to. I'm only 60, and these changes have JUMPED on me in the last two years. So guys, keep and eye on the Eyes.....and when something looks like it has changed - PLEASE- go get it checked. You may save YOUR airplane....
Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Cataracts and Color Shift

And get the cateracts taken care of!
You will be amazed how much brighter all colors are and at the vision improvement with the lens implants. Don't put it off - get it done as soon as you can. When the cataracts start to interfere with your life style it's time.
Dave
Old 08-21-2011, 02:21 AM
aussiesteve

Thanks for this information Bob. I am only a very few years behind you and it was not all that long ago (in the last couple of years) that I was also diagnosed to be a sufferer of Type II. I guess this is somethng I may have to look forward to and will watch for the signs. Whilst I do not have cataracts or retina issues (I have regular digital scans as part of the pre-requisites to keep my Full Scale endorsements), I have noticed that I have preferred the more "grey" tints on my "sunnies" for quite a while now.

And here I was thinking my excuse for wanting new shiny, bright colored planes was just because I like them - I now have a real excuse I can quote.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:26 AM
Bob Pastorello

ORIGINAL: burtona

And get the cateracts taken care of!
You will be amazed how much brighter all colors are and at the vision improvement with the lens implants. Dpn't put it off - get it done as soon as you can. When the cataracts start to interfere with your life style it's time.
Dave
Thanks, Dave. Good advice. Have to start looking into the budget.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 AM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

Bob,
Cataract surgery is now pretty matter-of-fact. When I had my first one done in 2005, I flew the next day. My second eye took longer for the cataract to form, but I told my opthmalogist to keep a close watch. It really started affecting my flying last year, and I had the second one done in January. Huge difference in my flying this year. Major medical covers most of it in most cases. Find a good opthamalogist, one who does them routinely. Mine did 7 in a row the day I had mine done. The actual operation only takes about 10 minutes, the rest of the time is prep. I was conscious throughout, with a mild sedative.

I will say that I am now using different and darker sunglasses tints than I was before. However uncorrected vision is far better (around 20/30) ( I was severely nearsighted), and corrected vision is like night and day from what it was.

A friend had cataracts like yours, and he said it was like a yellow/green veil was lifted after his surgery. He simply could not believe the difference in everyday life and his flying.

Run, don't walk, to your opthamalogist!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:23 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When I had my cataracts fixed, I went one step further. I got Crystalens (sp?) that are tied to the muscles in my eyes so they will focus at all ranges. Don't need glasses for anything. However, I will use magnifiers for real close work and when I fly I have a correction that gets me to 20/15. Not bad for almost 80 years old. Ask your doctor about them.

Jim
Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Thanks, Dave. Good advice. Have to start looking into the budget.
Bob,

How do you go about getting Serengeti Aviators?

I definitely need new glasses but my problem is the folks covered under my insurance don't have a clue what I'm talking about when I start 'splainin. Through one of theguys at the club I went to a doc that understood, being a target shooter himself, but my insurance would not cover it.....out of network; just my luck.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:53 AM
Bob Pastorello

Matt - I got my last non-Rx and Rx versions both from www.opticsplanet.com They had the best overall price/service, and I had high confidence in their ability to get the Rx right. Found out later that regardless of where ordered from, all Serengeti Rx lenses are made at the factory, period. Took about a month, I think, and I was a "happy camper" with them. Until the cataracts started shifting colors. Oh well.

Maybe after I get them removed I can go back to the Drivers lens in the Aviator frames....been my favorite for decades.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:10 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

I have been wearing prescription Serengeti lens for years. The ones that are dark up top and lighter at the bottom. I have gotten them through my eye doctor. His Optican gets the lens set up for the frames of choice and them sends them out to get coated at the factory. Best thing about it is I get to test wear them. If they are not dark enough, I can send them back to make them darker. Luckily, I only had to send them back only one more time and they got it right the second time. I just got a new pair this spring. The pair I got was $259.00. The prescription lens were $59 ea. coated. The frames are $140 Costa Del Mar frames. My Eye doctor has a large assortment of frames to choose from so I'm not just limited to the Serengeti driver frames.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys....now to find a shop covered by my insurance that also carries the Serengeti line........
Old 07-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Bob Pastorello

I hope my friends are still subscribed and get this...here we are, 11 months after my original post, and after my annual checkup end of June, we found that BOTH cataracts had appreciably advanced, to the extent that I handily failed EVERY screening test to satisfy eligibility and medical necessity for lens implants. It is difficult to describe how quickly these things went downhill, but it happened FAST (and completely unrelated to my diabetes)

Ihave one eye finished, second one coming this Tuesday, and I have to say, the right eye w/ 20/20 and perfect color registration is giving me hope that I'll be able to fly again. I hope I will, as it has been extremely difficult to fly at all with the loss of color and depth perception.

Jon - you certainly hit it spot on - but unfortunately, I had to wait until I met medical criterion.

I wonder if I will fly any better being able to see the plane for the first time in years???
Old 07-07-2012, 11:08 PM
iflyrctoo

Great Bob! It's about time to get you another pattern plane and start coming to a few contests.

Joe Dunnaway