Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Monsoon XTR

Old 01-16-2012, 03:20 PM
kelynsdad1023

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon XTR

I got my Monsoon last week that Iordered through Kurt at URC.....started breaking it in today didn't finish though. Anyways one thing I noticed there is no diagram or anything in the manual of the truck showing what goes into what like in my other Redcat manuals,does ayone know if they are anywhere online...it would just be nice to have for reference when I have to take it apart when stuff breaks !
Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monsoon XTR

check Redcats website.  Click on the Monsoon, then there should be a spot to click for the manual.  An online manual will open and you can look at an exploded view of the Monsoon on there.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:47 PM
kelynsdad1023

thanks dad I found it...I also found it in my manual I guess I just overlooked it...great truck so far.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Dads like rc too

hey no problem.  How do you like your Monsoon?  I've never seen one in person but after a lot of research ordered one last week.  Should be here Tues or Wed.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
kelynsdad1023

I like it so far...haven't really put it to the test yet still in the break-in process....gotta wait for some warmer weather to really beat on it. It seems like a really well built and tough R/C .
Old 01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
kelynsdad1023

oh incidentally make sure to check all the nuts and bolts on your steering linkage is tight....mine was loose !
Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: kelynsdad1023

oh incidentally make sure to check all the nuts and bolts on your steering linkage is tight....mine was loose !
Thanks. I plan on tearing it down first. My last buggy went a lot farther before it's first breakdown when I did that.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Dads like rc too

I got my new Monsoon XTR this week. I've heard this before but...THIS THING IS MASSIVE!  I couldn't believe the size of it.  I've only had 10th scale trucks before, and smaller one's at that.  As far as the quality goes I have to admit I was expecting far less, more of a blown up Volcano.  But this truggy is very impressive.  The thickness of the front and rear arms as well as the steering links and rear up-rights looks very durable.  The only weak spot that looks obvious is the rear camber link ends at the rear uprights.  I will probably mod these from some Traxxas Revo parts.

Did a Loc-tight tear down and checked everything out before running it.  The gear mesh was perfect.  When I removed the engine screws to add loctight they had some form of Chinese loctight already applied.  I only found 1 screw that I felt could have been tighter on the whole truck.  I also wasn't crazy about how the fuel lines were run so I re-routed them.  Removed the single stage covered air filter and replaced it with a two stage filter that would breathe.  Also added some zip ties to the head for rollover protection.  I finished up with some heat reflective tape inside the body.

Startup was a breeze.  To prime I could just pull the pullstart gently just enough to feel the piston make one revolution while holding my finger over the exhaust tip.  4-5 pulls and you could easily see the fuel had made it's way from the tank to carb.  Put the ignitor on and in 4 pulls it fired right up.  I actually turned out 1 turn on the high speed needle once it started, it didn't seem rich enough when it was running.  1 turn out gave me fuel sputtering out of the exhaust.  It ran it's first tank at idle no problem.

This thing is super loud!  It almost hurts your ears and crackles just like a 2 stroke bike.  

I completed 5 more tanks of break in today.  I've since turned in the low speed needle about an 8th of a turn.  The high speed needle was turned back to it's stock position on it's first figure 8 tank and since then I've turned it about a quarter more, it's still running very rich.  It's ready to be leaned out a little.  I'll go over the truck again once more and start seeing what it can do tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Dads like rc too

Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Dads like rc too

here's a pic of the new Monsoon.
This is where I re-routed the lines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13988.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1717748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44475.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1717749  
Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 PM
MaddMark

More updates on the Monsoon xtr please.
Mine will be here Tuesday !!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: MaddMark

[img][/img]More updates on the Monsoon xtr please.
Mine will be here Tuesday !!!!
I love it so far. There have been some broken parts that I felt broke too easily. While doing some ramp jumping I broke the rear lower control arm brace. It was a bad landing and expected. I was surprised though to find two teeth sheered clean off the steal spur gear. The metal it was made out of looks pretty weak. Then while trying to move an immovable object with the front wheel, the front suspension pivot bolt snapped clean off. Again, I would have expected the front knuckle or control arm to break since its plastic, but it seems like its the metal parts you need to be more concerned about. The center dog bones were starting to slice up the front and rear diff cups from the torque, so I replaced them with the CVD's from Redcat. I'm not complaining about these issues which I consider minor, I was just surprised that the metal appears to be the weakness on this model and not the plastic. For the price I think it's more than worth the money for what you get. You really won't find anything out there this size even close to this price range.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:00 AM
kelynsdad1023

hey dad I been meaning to ask you have you had any problems with keeping your gear mesh to stay. I keep having problems with keeping mine i think its because of the motor mounts beeing adjustable.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: kelynsdad1023

hey dad I been meaning to ask you have you had any problems with keeping your gear mesh to stay. I keep having problems with keeping mine i think its because of the motor mounts beeing adjustable.
no, thats actually been one of the good things. It never moves. Did you make sure the engine is tight at the mount, not just the mount to chassis?
Old 05-26-2012, 07:54 AM
kelynsdad1023

the problem I see is that there are locknuts on the inside of these mounts both other nitros I have the engine srews directly into the mount so I loctite them.....I'll take another look and see if I can tightem em up.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:53 AM
MaddMark

Thanks For the info.
This will be my first nitro truggy and I plan on general bashing in the yard when too windy/hot/cold to take the hour long trip to the flying field.
Sounds like I just need to avoid trees and other such solid objects and enjoy.
I heard that I should increase preload on all shocks as its so heavy. Your thoughts?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Dads like rc too

Thanks For the info.
This will be my first nitro truggy and I plan on general bashing in the yard when too windy/hot/cold to take the hour long trip to the flying field.
Sounds like I just need to avoid trees and other such solid objects and enjoy.
I heard that I should increase preload on all shocks as its so heavy. Your thoughts?
I'm not a racer but to me for general running around and jumping, the factory shocks work well. The big issue is the weight. The Monsoon is very heavy. I find with a good run it launches well but is extremely nose heavy, so lots of throttle in the air making sure your freewheeling when landing. The torque is there for short launches, problem I have is getting traction. In the grass all four wheels just spin off the line. Power slides are no problem with this machine. Even on the pavement it breaks the wheels loose. As far as avoiding things, I just mentioned what parts I thought could have been stronger. It's still taken its share of hits without a blemish. I still say for the money it's well worth it. Try to buy any nitro from Traxxas in this price range and you'll be going home with a nitro rustler for about $50 more. Like anything else out there, there's room for some mods. I like the idea of CVDs all around. Redcat sells them cheap enough. I would also like to carbon fiber anything I can to try and get rid of some of the weight, not because the stock components aren't tough enough.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:56 PM
MaddMark

Please boys and girls, PLEASE, don't drink and drive !!!
Well, Sunday I was enjoying a few( sixpacks ) beers and decided to get my new freshly broken-in MonsoonXTR out for a little fun.
A few doughnuts in the driveway and then I figured on some WOT passes in the road.
Truggy was running great on Wildcat 30% heli fuel.
Anyhow, the guy on the golfcart said he thought he got hit by a full size truck.
Chassis looked Like a horseshoe, front diff housing broke the ears off that the shock tower mount to, twisted both driveshafts like pretzels.
All told approx. 56.00 in damage.
I am VERY impressed with the ruggedness of this vehicle.
So again, PLEASE DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE !!!

Oh, and my wife felt so sorry for me she is ordering me a new Monsoon so I can have the first one as a parts truck.
I LOVE MY WIFE !!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Dads like rc too

Please boys and girls, PLEASE, don't drink and drive !!!
Well, Sunday I was enjoying a few( sixpacks ) beers and decided to get my new freshly broken-in MonsoonXTR out for a little fun.
A few doughnuts in the driveway and then I figured on some WOT passes in the road.
Truggy was running great on Wildcat 30% heli fuel.
Anyhow, the guy on the golfcart said he thought he got hit by a full size truck.
Chassis looked Like a horseshoe, front diff housing broke the ears off that the shock tower mount to, twisted both driveshafts like pretzels.
All told approx. 56.00 in damage.
I am VERY impressed with the ruggedness of this vehicle.
So again, PLEASE DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE !!!

Oh, and my wife felt so sorry for me she is ordering me a new Monsoon so I can have the first one as a parts truck.
I LOVE MY WIFE !!!!
I love your wife too!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM
MaddMark

Well, monsoon #1 is repaired and now running wildcat 20%eliminator fuel , might go back to 30% just to get side by side comparison.
Monsoon #2 was broke in on and will continue with 20% fuel.
Monsoon #1 to be fitted with redcat electric start this week.
#2 will stay pull start for now.
Both are running awsome.
If I can figure out how , I will post video soon.
Both are torque monsters.

Ok , can't upload video from iPhone. Will be awhile before the twins( Monsoon 1 & 2) allow the time to get on computer !!! LOL

Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Dads like rc too

Well, monsoon #1 is repaired and now running wildcat 20%eliminator fuel , might go back to 30% just to get side by side comparison.
Monsoon #2 was broke in on and will continue with 20% fuel.
Monsoon #1 to be fitted with redcat electric start this week.
#2 will stay pull start for now.
Both are running awsome.
If I can figure out how , I will post video soon.
Both are torque monsters.

Ok , can't upload video from iPhone. Will be awhile before the twins( Monsoon 1 & 2) allow the time to get on computer !!! LOL

What's your opinion on the different fuel.. I run 20% right now. I'm as rich as I can go and still running on the hot side. Outside temp is blistering in the high 90's with a heat index of over 100 degrees. I've researched several nitro sites and have talked to different people on the subject. Still getting two different answers if 30% will run cooler than 20%. Most say it will, some say it won't. I thought it would. Whats your opinion?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 PM
derailed75

Dads, I am somewhat new (just over a year) to the hobby, but from what I understand the % is the nitro and the higher the nitro the lower the oil should be. You should actually run hotter on 30% in theory anyway.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: derailed75

Dads, I am somewhat new (just over a year) to the hobby, but from what I understand the % is the nitro and the higher the nitro the lower the oil should be. You should actually run hotter on 30% in theory anyway.
I don't disagree but am not convinced either way. I've read enough posts for and against, my head is spinning and everyone sounds right in their own explanation. I probably need to contact a fuel company to find out the real answer.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 AM
MaddMark

Hi Dads,

Im certainly no expert, but #1 was broke in on 30% full synthetic heli fuel.
I has a bit more torque and top end than #2. BUT, it does run about 280*f.
In 100* ambient temps.
#2 is quite awsome and runs about 245* on 20% castor synth mix.
In same outside temps.
It is my opinion that the 30% heli mix promotes a lean run setting as the all synth oils burn during combustion and the ballance between a good tune and too lean is very fine and not obvious by watching vapor(smoke) trail.
I have since switched #1 to 20% wildcat eliminator fuel and have more reasonable temps. And no BIG diff in performance.
I myself will be staying with 20%.
Your results may vary.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 AM
kelynsdad1023

if you're gonna run the 30 % you want to run with a cold plug. My Monsoon seemed to be running a little on the hot side too but it was pretty hot here last week....I cut a vent in the windown on both sides to help cool it a little better. Irun Byron 20% with 12% oil with an os 8 plug which is medium heat range.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.