Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

New project?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

New project?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New project?

I pulled the parts from my Siemens Schuckert D.III (now donated to the San Diego Air and Space Museum) and they are available for a next project.

I like SCALE planes, probably an ARF.
A Monocoupe or Mr. Mulligan would be great, or a P47 Bubbletop, FW190 or ZERO…

If it isn’t a good scale rendition I am not interested. If it doesn’t fit the size of a Saito 72 then there is no point.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29800.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	1780509  
Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New project?

SSD to ARF? [X(]

By the way, at the moment (and for at least the next year) I find myself with reduced access to flying. I'll be lucky if I get to the flying field more than a couple dozen times this year. I've always had ARFs and always enjoyed flying them on the weekends. Now, though, that aspect of the hobby is problematic. Frankly, others in my situation might just give up RC entirely, but I suppose flying has always been secondary to building for me. I define myself and my hobby more as a builder than a flyer, so I don't mind. For me, flying is a way of "keeping myself honest" in the building. If I weren't creating flying models, I could build the entire thing out of paper mache.

So what am I saying here? If you enjoy building, build. If you want to fly an ARF, do that. You've definitely got some serious scale building skills and I enjoy watching your builds.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:06 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

ORIGINAL: allanflowers

If it isn’t a good scale rendition I am not interested. If it doesn’t fit the size of a Saito 72 then there is no point.

I had the same reaction as abufletcher. If you want a good scale rendition then you DON'T want an ARF. ARFs are assembly line built, fast and cheap to keep the cost down. With few exceptions, and most of those are above a Saito 72 size, if you really want a good scale rendition build it yourself!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:30 AM
abufletcher

Allan, the vast majority of ARFs seem to be designed for the most common engine sizes: 50, 90, and 120 classes. So, if you're looking for a sport-scale ARF for your 72 then you'll probably have to put it into a 50-size model. Maybe one of the Kyosho 50-series warbirds would be fun:

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...duct_id=103653
Old 07-11-2012, 05:44 AM
abufletcher

http://www.seagullmodels.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=127
Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 AM
cocobear
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan, check out the GP Mulligan. Minor reinforcement on the engine box and it would be fine witrh glow. Would move smartly with your engine. Glad your SSW found a worthy home.

DJ
Old 07-11-2012, 06:26 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I must agree putting your Siemens Schuckert D.III in the Air and Space museum should be applauded. You will allow a lot of people who normally would have never been able to see such a rare biplane.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:34 AM
allanflowers

Thanks to all for the response. I was especially interested in the GP Mr Mulligan idea and am looking into it. I love the scale look of this plane and the overall size is good.... not sure yet about the engine fitment and ground handling.
Any more ideas, please?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 AM
allanflowers

What is the deal??
Again, I searched and searched on line for good ARF prospects. I actually found a number of them but everything is "out of stock"!
There is a mind-numbing selection of possibilities for models these days but the down side is that very few of them are actually available at any one time. I can understand that local companies will order a container from Asia and, when it comes in, they have the merchandise - at least for a little while.
There is something wrong with this system....
Old 07-14-2012, 02:31 PM
abufletcher

I've had similar experiences with ARFs in Japan. Most ARFs don't stay in production long. I think novelty is the key factor in the ARF market and if you don't buy a model within a year of its announcement, you're probably not going to find one. And while there do APPEAR to be many ARFs, I've found that once I limit my choices to a particular engine size and usually a particular price range, then I'm lucky if there are even 2-3 actually possibilities...none of which really excite me. I've never owned an ARF that was anything other than a Sunday compromise.