Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
seehuusen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unofficial

masman, that's a great, true, tried and tested motor, should be a blast

I'm planning a 4S setup in my new boat With a graupner jet drive... But now that my original boat is back up and running, it might not be built for a while yet
Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 AM
Ratrunner

my boat weighs in at 520g

battery at 134

i have the 4800kv motor and 35A turnigy marine ESC and i micro servo on the rudder.
plus a traxxas water proof rx box.

battery is a turnigy nanotech 2200 2S.

Jason.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 PM
seehuusen

Hey Jason, yeah it sounds like I'm about right with my boat on the 3S setup, bigger motor, double heatzink on the ESC, the fill the gap with resin, that thing would weigh in at 50g at least I'd think Plus lots of silicone

Anyone else who has weighed their boat, dry, no battery, but with all your running gear?

Cheers
Martin
Old 07-09-2012, 04:52 PM
seehuusen

I found some new creeks to run the jet boat in, this time where the whole creek widens and narrows, so super rapids and then slow again... and the sand flats at the river mouth on low tide, just as it turns... Too much fun guys!!

Was there some people around the Sunshine Coast (Queensland Australia) that wanted to take some boats for a spin on a weekend?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:05 AM
sundogz

Spare impellers are available [link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/NQD-757-757-6024-Propeller-for-RC-Boat-Turbo-JET-x-2-pcs-/120948082317?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item1c2911468d]here.[/link]
Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 PM
seehuusen

thanks Sundogz, I got another couple, as I've found them to wear on the outside (the overall diameter of the blades are shrinking) when I run the boat on the beach after a while (several runs ofcourse)
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Hey guys,
I received my boat today from Banggood. That was pretty fast. It was a little beat up in the box but the only thing that came loose was one side of the mufflers. I will epoxy those back in anyway. Still waiting on my brushless motor and esc.
Could some of you please post a close up of where you cut the top out for access to the electronics?
RCH has a great tool for that, you can just click thread tools and click show images and only the images on that thread will show. It's pretty handy. Too bad RCU doesn't have that.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any pics you post.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:20 PM
apodacainc

You may need to help me wheelnut... not sure if I'll be able to cut it, all I have is a dremmel.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Wheelnut

What's up dude? Did you get your boat yet? From what I can tell the plastic is so thin, it can probably be cut with a hobby razor knife.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:11 PM
seehuusen

you're bang on, all I did was, use a ruler to guide the razor (metal ruler tends to be the best), cut the first line (didn't go through) then carefully cut each line again, and voila, Bob's your auntie

You can also use a standard packaging knife, like a stanley knife It really isn't that hard, you'll cut about 8-10mm in from the lip where the top fits on, let me know if you need pics still, got the boat sitting in my car ATM  
Old 07-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks,
THe question was more of where not how lol
I did go back and find a very good picture on the first page. Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 PM
seehuusen

I did reply with the where as well hahaha but a pic is worth a thousand words

ORIGINAL: seehuusen

...you'll cut about 8-10mm in from the lip where the top fits on...

Not sure if you've noticed the Gallery option for each thread on this forum, it just shows all the pics in the thread, and you can jump from there to the post it was in, pretty handy when looking for clues

Old 07-13-2012, 04:20 AM
Masman

Hey guys, just an update, but boat is painted (Badly), and my parts got here, but at some point in ordering them I forgot to get a servo, so I expect to actually have the boat running in a week or so.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 PM
seehuusen

another ESC burnt out... time for a better quality one, I'm tired of pulling the ESC out of the boat to fit another
Old 07-14-2012, 06:11 AM
Wheelnut

That sucks. Which esc have you been using?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 PM
seehuusen

it was one of these, cheap chinese ones, Sky Wing
so I ordered one of the Turnigy Aquastar 120A Watercooled ESC w/Programming Card from HK, this time from the Ozzie warehouse, so hopefully I won't be down for too much longer Hopefully it will hold up to prolonged torture on half to 3/4 throttle, maybe even give the boat a bit more punch, seeing the electrical 'channels' should be much wider compared to the 60amp the old one was...
Oh and I snug a 1/16 short course truck into the order as well looking for something to run when I'm not near water was my excuse hehehe
Cheers
Martin
Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 PM
swervyn

Ha! you have been using the same skywing 60A esc i have, I bought 3 ($12each E-bay)and managed to fry 1 courtesy of the dog biting the boat as it was flying past and puncturing the hull filling it with water before I realised what happened

I also have the 120A Aquastar one sitting here in a box and will be interested to find out if you get better performance from it? The old basher jet boatI have here has so many holes in it & different set ups tried with it I think I am ready (almost) to put a "proper" 1 or 2 together and have 2 new boats coming this week and most other bits & pieces ready to go. Still dont think I'm getting the speed I expect so will see how it travels with a new jet.

cheers
Old 07-14-2012, 11:01 PM
seehuusen

Yeah, I guess I was a bit hopeful with these, this is the second to fry on me... I've been giving the boat a hard time lately, it has been raining a fair bit here lately, so lots of water overflow, even over the roads in some places :P

I'll let you know how the new esc goes once it arrives, 
I already have withdrawals from not running it hahahaha

cheers martin
Old 07-15-2012, 02:55 AM
Ratrunner

i took the boat out for a run today at parramatta river.
i took the opportunity to try running 2x2S packs in parallel to see how that would change things.

as expected, run times were greatly increased. also the batteries didnt get as hot as with the single 2S packs,
though there wasn't much difference in temps either way.

the one thing i did notice was the boat was a heap more sluggish. not as fast top end,
and lost prime much easier than usual. too much weight too far forward me thinks....

think ill stick to one pack in future, and just have more runs...
i have 4x 2S 2200 nanotech 35C packs. each one gets me about 4 minutes.

also noticed that im starting to get a little more water inside the hull after each run today.
have to investigate where it's coming from.....

jason.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Wheelnut

Thanks for the info on the esc. I ordered this one and hope it holds up well.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19436

Anyone using Hockey tape to seal the hatch. That's what everyone was using back when I was running fast electric boats a couple of years ago.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Scubaru Steve

i flipped mine today, bounced off a rock launched and landed upside down, waited 5 mins for it to blow back to shore. took very very minimal water, maybe a few drops.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Wheelnut

Do you have it sealed somehow? When the top of the hull is cut and the hatch is only held on by two loose clips, it's hard to believe it wouldn't take on much water upside down. It would even be worse in a stream with small rapids.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:02 PM
seehuusen

Wheelnut, that ESC does look similar to what I had in mine before (cheap Chinese cr@p), please let me know how it holds up, was your setup 3S or 2S?

As for the water creeping in, what might be happening, the glue used to seal the boat in the first place is cracking due to vibrations from the much much stronger motor... I've noticed the vibrations on high revs, but I used silicone for my boat, and it holds pretty dry, max might be around 30ml in there...

I use silver tape (the wide tape like duck-tape, but not cloth type... basically a wide silvery electrical tape), I tape a plastic cover down and leave the original hatch at home...

Cheers
Martin
Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 AM
Wheelnut

Thanks Martin, I will report how the esc holds up, fingers crossed I haven't ran it yet. Still waiting on my upgrades to arrive. I will start out with 2s and then try 3s and check temps.

I know what silver tape is, I used it on a summer job one time. I like Hockey tape alot. It is very strong and comes off without leaving behind any residue. It's even sold by offshoreelectrics.com. Try it, you might switch over.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Joshsubmec
My Feedback: (2)

Hey everyone, i was randomly searching "rc jet boat" on ebay and the nqd tear into jet boat came up! Just thought ide let ya'll know cause i know their hard to find

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.