Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Panzer III Gear Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Panzerpaul

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default HL Panzer III Gear Boxes

Has anyone changed the gear boxes or just the gears in the HL Panzer III? I am using metal tracks and the gears tend to slip when making turns. I have noted that each of the last gears in the box (the ones on the drive shaft) are cracked in one place along the base which is positioned over the metal shaft. However these two gears do not seem to be loose or slipping. I'm looking for input from others who have experienced the same problem and how you solved it. Thanks PP
Old 07-16-2012, 08:21 PM
bhop73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HL Panzer III Gear Boxes

One of the gears broke in mine. I replaced it with new steel gearboxes from rccommand.com
Old 07-17-2012, 01:42 AM
AFV432

Hi paul
you can make a fix to these by getting some thin gauge brass tube the same diameter as the gear that has the crack in it
it wiil need a strip down to get at it

circled area is the part that needs the brass tube

those gears are set on very fine splines and total failure is right round the corner

my bulldog has run for a few years with this fix

those gears are set on very fine splines and total failure is right round the corner

the black steeled gears are a good investment and are a lot better than the "monkey" metal versions
Old 07-17-2012, 03:30 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I've heard that the plastic gears are much quieter than the HL white metal version, so has anyone put a metal gear on the axle for more dependability? As long as they are not hauling a metal track around they should last for a while, huh?

~ Jeff
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Panzerpaul

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Rob: I am assuming that the brass tube is slid over the white plastic collar of that gear....which btw is exactly where mine cracked. I can do that but how is that gear removed from the gearbox. I don't want to break something else trying to fix it.... LOL. PP
Old 07-17-2012, 11:55 AM
DirtyBird69

don't waste your time..just get the steel gears as suggested and you will NEVER have that problem again......
Old 07-17-2012, 01:36 PM
AFV432

ORIGINAL: Panzerpaul

Hi Rob: I am assuming that the brass tube is slid over the white plastic collar of that gear....which btw is exactly where mine cracked. I can do that but how is that gear removed from the gearbox. I don't want to break something else trying to fix it.... LOL. PP
youll need to undo the 2 screws underneath and remove a screw from both of the brass support rods
basically leaves you with the gearbox in half and the final drive should just come straight out

Jeff
The plastic gears are loads quieter than all the metal gearboxes the only thing is the slipper clutch needs fixing solid

Old 07-17-2012, 01:41 PM
AFV432

ORIGINAL: DirtyBird69

don't waste your time..just get the steel gears as suggested and you will NEVER have that problem again......
that is a true statement dirtybird but the plastic set i have in my dog have lasted 4 years ok the final drive gear has been repaired a few times

and i do have a set of black steel boxes to go in soon
but they arent brilliant the set i bought had to have the side plates replaced with a set from an earlier model plastic gears as the side cheeks were out of whack and i had a drive shaft that was pointing to the sky

not suggesting for a minute they are all like that just the ones i had
so if you can "Eyeball" them before buying id do it

Old 07-18-2012, 02:17 AM
DirtyBird69

Yeah I had the case holes on my steel gearboxes were a bit out of alignment on oneof thecases and Ihad to drill them out a tad as they were distorting the case when you tightened the screws down, but once I did that all was well. Come to think of it I've never bought a set of gearboxes thet didn't need a bit of tweaking......guess their quality control isn't as good as it should be.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:20 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a set of plastic gears in my Bulldog as well. I stopped the slipper clutch from slipping, and they have been fine ever since. They are very quiet.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:18 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a nylon set from my pzk III I'm not using. I can bring them over the Mountains for you on the 28th. I don't need them so you can have them anduse what ever gears you need. I switched it out to metal 3:1 shortly after I got it so the set has very little wear. The gear you show is not cracked.

I think I just found the Stug gear set. They are not labeled like the pzk set. I will bring both sets and you can see what you want to keep.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:14 PM
AFV432

ORIGINAL: DirtyBird69

Yeah I had the case holes on my steel gearboxes were a bit out of alignment on oneof thecases and Ihad to drill them out a tad as they were distorting the case when you tightened the screws down, but once I did that all was well. Come to think of it I've never bought a set of gearboxes thet didn't need a bit of tweaking......guess their quality control isn't as good as it should be.
cool never thought of that dirtybird i cheated and swapped the cheeks for a good one lol

your right on the QC glad they dont make replacement body parts

Rob