Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Nuance

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nuance

Hey Mike I can't wait to see everyone as well. I get in tomorrow with the Kimbro's.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:18 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: danamania

Sooo... How many Nuances going to the Nats?
Hmm good question.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:47 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Well, I am taking two....

Arch
Old 07-17-2012, 04:46 AM
jayjayneri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TonyF

Chip is such a hoot! Don't remember saying anything against him in my post and it's kind of hard to understand why he took some shots at me.

jayjayneri, since you wanted info to try to eliminate the throttle to rudder mix, I hope my info helped. I tried the throttle to rudder mix a while back with Chip's insistence, but I found for me it caused other problems and could be eliminated with careful adjustment of the side thrust/rudder trim. I think it's one of those things that in theory sounds good but in practice it's not needed. At least that's how I saw it but YMMV. Chip seems to feel it's needed but it just didn't seem that way for me.

I also noted your need for a throttle to aileron mix. What motor are you using and are you using any braking in the downlines? Also, are your ailerons centered at level trim? A lot of the Nuances I have seen and heard about the stock incidence settings require some aileron trim. I think you really need to get any roll trim out by adjusting the wing incidences. I installed adjusters in mine and I started with the incidences as originally built in to the model. The 1st few flights needed roll trim but I adjusted it out. That may be the source of your roll on downlines.

Now I guess I'll get to see what I said now that Chip didn't like!

Hi Tony, I did install wing adjusters in my Nuance and I will double check to see if my ailerons are centered. I am playing around with my side thrust and rudder trim. I do believe I have reduced or even eliminated my need for throttle to rudder mix. I can't be totally sure until I get a day with little or no wind. I am glad you and Arch were able to get rid of your downline rolls. That means I should be able to get rid of mine too by playing with the wing adjusters. I do agree with Chip that there is nothing wrong with using mixing when necessary but the less mixing you have the better. So I will continue to work hard to trim my Nuance. I am still not sure whether I will use the Nuance or Toxiris for the Asian Championships in September. Thanks again.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:48 AM
jayjayneri

Good luck to all in the Nats. Wish I were there to watch. One of these years, I will just show up in Muncie.....
Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 AM
danamania

ORIGINAL: jayjayneri

...I did install wing adjusters in my Nuance and I will double check to see if my ailerons are centered. I am playing around with my side thrust and rudder trim. I do believe I have reduced or even eliminated my need for throttle to rudder mix. I can't be totally sure until I get a day with little or no wind. I am glad you and Arch were able to get rid of your downline rolls. That means I should be able to get rid of mine too by playing with the wing adjusters...
FWIW, I have no down line rolling with the wings simply corrected with aileron trim (1 mm offsets). Up lines are vertical as long as I apply the usual amount of right rudder with throttle at the pull to correct for P-factor, which can then be relaxed as the up line is established. I attribute this to a more-or-less correct thrust line. (The rudder is neutral.) Agreed that adjusting wing incidence is the correct way to dial out the aileron trim, but my Nuance flies so well right now that it does not seem worth it to convert the stock anti-rotation pins to an adjuster set-up. I may change my mind about this over time, but with 2 dozen flights over 3 weeks, I am already using it to learn the intermediate maneuvers since it is in good trim and eminently fly-able. Hope yours turns out well for you too. I could not be happier with my purchase for the kind of flying I need to do now to progress to the next level. Cheers!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I need to borrow some glue if mine is to make it to the nats.. Anyone have a few gallons to spare?

Guess I'm glad I didn't have the money to make the trip to the nats this year.
Went down in the tomato field while they were watering.. All the electronics somehow ended up a foot down in the water.. Imagine that. [:-]

Sometimes life kicks ya when you are down. Today is definitely one of those days.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55112.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1783030  
Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Really sorry Chris. What happened?
Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 PM
patternflyer1

Thx Tony.

Still looking into the cause.

C
Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

Sometimes life kicks ya when you are down. Today is definitely one of those days.

Chris

WOW....that was a bad un'....really sorry to see that Chris...hang in there.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
danamania

So sorry to see your bird down! It really sucks when that happens. Definitely sucks!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 PM
jayjayneri

Sorry to see that Chris.....please update us on the cause after your investigation.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 PM
woodie

Chris, what a bummer!!! Sorry to hear about this.... Hang in there.
Woodie
Old 07-17-2012, 06:38 PM
patternflyer1

It was not airframe related. Electronics related. This is a good airframe, well built. I will get another when I can afford one.

Thx,

Chris
Old 07-18-2012, 01:18 AM
mups53

Gezzz Chris you could use a break. Bad news hang in there, Mike
Old 07-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Surefire
My Feedback: (1)

Chris - Hang in there man! That is such a drag for so many reasons but one big one is that you were flying it so well. That plane really fit you well. Don't give up!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:08 AM
mups53

Just in case anyone is interested in one for sale I just listed mine.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...871&electric=0
Thanks, Mike
Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 AM
patternflyer1

Thx guys.. No biggie.. It happens. I appreciate the offers of planes to borrow. Pattern flyers sure are kind people!

Chris
Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,
The CG numbers you're quoting (260, 270, etc) are with the canopy off or on?
Thanks
Old 07-19-2012, 07:56 PM
ematech

Hi all, Mine was measured with the canopy off. Sorry Chris about your plane...... In response to a previous post I am attending the nats with my Nuance. I am about 6 hours away, will be in on Friday. Anyone know where to practice? I have been on a great pattern trip with Hemet CA as the kick off then Boise ID followed by Victoria BC, and then Memphis MI then on to northern Main for about a week of practice and finally to the nats. The trip ODO on the truck reads 8120 since leaving the end of may! I have flown the Nuance in all sorts of weather and have been happy with the performance, I can see differences in performance/rates and speed with altitude and baro changes.
John Bentley
Old 07-19-2012, 08:21 PM
patternflyer1

Mine was canopy on.

I was trying a more rearward cg for the past, should I say it's last 2 days and I really didn't like it as much as I did when it was a bit more nose heavy. I added a touch of positive to the wings also and had straightened the wings out to get rid of the aileron trim. To me, it made a big difference. I had noticed it rolling out on down lines because of the trim it carried at mid throttle for normal flight.

John, good luck at the nats. Sounds like a very fun trip you are having! I love the nats. It's a great overall experience. More so than just the flying. Seeing everyone from different parts of the country, and seeing how they do things a bit different is a learning experience for me. I always try to watch the more "talented' flyers (of course the most talented are in D7 ) and take something away from their flights that I could see that would be an improvement to my flights.

Take it all in, enjoy it, and have fun!

Chris
Old 07-20-2012, 02:00 AM
danamania

ORIGINAL: underdw

Guys,
The CG numbers you're quoting (260, 270, etc) are with the canopy off or on?
Thanks
Canopy on, in fact, the whole thing up on a balance. 270 from wing TE. Good luck to all going to the Nats. Cheers!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:12 PM
jarvis johnson
My Feedback: (15)

Hey John
Good Luck, you'll do just fine. You can try Madison County Flying site, it's about 30 min's away from Munice, Jerry Budd is there I think, so able you can hook up with him.
For Advanced, go to site 4, that is where you will be flying, it's sometime busy.

Good luck, an tell your wife I said hello

Jarvis
Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 PM
ematech

Thanks Jarvis!!! Will tell Annie you said HI! Wish you were here. will head out to the Madison field in the AM
John
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 PM
danamania

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Well, I am taking two....

Arch
Congrats on the win Arch. Any new insights on the Nuance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.