Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

How to open RC18MT Differentials for Oilling?

Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

How to open RC18MT Differentials for Oilling?

Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Nashh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to open RC18MT Differentials for Oilling?

Hello folks,

Have been running the truck for about two years. Is it necessary to lube the diffs with black grease and silicone diff oil ?

I gather that the diff needs to be unscrewed from the diff outdrive (long) using the 1.5 hex wrench. But I am unable to unscrew either of them. Tried to google vids but not much help either. Don't wan't to be too experimental here but I am guessing the diff outdrive (short) needs to be held tight and then unscrew using wrench. Otherwise the wrench is taking false turns. Is there any trick or tip on how to open them to lube the diff balls, gear etc. Just read somewhere that the diffs should be lubed occasionaly.

Now i am at my wits end and need advise and suggestions from you pro's out there. SOS

Thanks for reading and helping me out.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Thorvald

Default RE: How to open RC18MT Differentials for Oilling?

Just did the diffs in my sons RC18MT. I found the 1.5 Allen wrench that was included was crap, would not bite properly in the screw head. Went out and bought a little dubro 1.5mm driver, worked perfectly. Or simply look around the house for a Allen set...

You simply stick another wrench or something in the opposite side out drive slot and then unscrew the allen bolt from the other side while holding the other out drive steady.

Just make sure you do it over towel or something as there are seven little balls inside the out drive sandwiched between two washers.

Cheers
Tim
Old 07-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Nashh

Thanks Tim,

Yeah, that is indeed the way to go. Hope your son is enjoying the truck now!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 PM
burnineyes

You did good to get 2 years out of the diffs, but I bet your performance will be better with fresh, smooth diffs. Be sure to look at the manual to get an idea of what is inside if you are not sure, it is easy to lose some very tiny pieces like the 7-1.5mm thrust balls or 8-2mm diff balls. You will need black grease and silicone grease for a proper re-lube. Flip the diff drive rings and thrust washers over if they show any signs of grooves from where the balls ride.
http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca.../18r_manual.pd