Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Tiger Build Advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Tiger Build Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 AM
tamiyatorg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Tiger Build Advice

Tamiya: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=56010
Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Merganser

Hi.  The Tamiua  site has the following in their discription of the Tiger I: Not compatible with radio systems that have digital trims. Trims must be analog for the DMD unit to operate correctly. Note: 4-channel transmitter with analog trims, 7.2 volt battery and charger are required.  I went with the Futaba 4 channel that the AAF Tank Museum sugests for their Tamiya tanks.  You can also get some information atRCTankwars.com  Would like to hear from some experienced tankers on what works and what way they would go since I don't have any realexperience.  I have noticed that most people on this site say they use NMH batteries which are less expensive, have plenty of power and are not so fussy to take care of.  jot
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the DX6i on my HL tanks only because I have one already for planes and helis. The DX6i really shines due to expo, dual rates and mixes that don't apply to tanks. You really don't gain anything with it and by having them set it at self centering, you're cutting it's worth down even further because you'd need to crack the case to remove it if you ever wanted to fly. It's not designed as a surface radio.

Don't get me wrong, I love Spektrum products and especially that radio, but it's not a good choice if tanks are it's only use. I'll eventually buy another radio myself just for tanks, but it's not a priority.

For my two Tamiyas, I have two Futaba Attacks (the old ones) and they work flawlessly. With Tamiya, you need to slide the trim all the way up to fire the main gun, or all the way down to fire the MG. With a digital trim, it would be a long delay while it ticked to the end. You may be able to mix the full adjustment with a switch, but why bother when a better Tx is available for less?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Lots of guys use digital trim radios with Tamiyas, just requires a modification to the set up procedure.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:34 AM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

If you only move the sticks a little over half way durring the set up procedure, the trim doesn't have to be moved for firing the main gun or MG. 
Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

For my Tamiya KT I just got the cheap Hobbyking 2,4 radio. 30$

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82516.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1780369  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Ten41

Keep the information coming guys!

sollie, how well does that Hobby King Tx work?

tamiyatorg, Merganser - I will watch your progress with interest!

I actually received some "Honey Do's", so my Tiger build is on hold.  Wall painting and a front porch. =-O

It allows me time to investigate things though.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 AM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the DAK (Desert Armor Korps) Radio Room

http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_RADIO...Room_2011.html

They seem to have no problem using Spektrum 2.4 GHz radios with Tamiya tanks. They even have a guide about setting up DX6 (programable).

I've used both the DX5e and the DX6i with my Tamiya tanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 AM
tamiyatorg

I'm not so worried about flying stuff, I'm a surface guy

Since there seems to be a group of knowledgeable guys here. Are there any other 2.4 radios that would work that I can control from a PC? I don't care about plugging the controller into the PC and using it as a remote to a simulator. I've always wanted to hook things up to a laptop and do a bit of programming. Preferable without opening up and cutting and soldering.

The reason I'm interested in Spektrum is because all my 1/10 Tamiya cars have spektrum receivers that I use the DX3S and DX3R on.

So I'm willing to go high-end to get some more hobby projects out of it. Otherwise I was thinking of going with http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../futk4200.html
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ten41

Keep the information coming guys!

sollie, how well does that Hobby King Tx work?

My plan was to use my dx7, as I had seen the setup guide for the dx6i, but I sold it along with my trex 500 heli. Then the plan was to get the turnigy 9x , but it was always out of stock, and I thought, do I need more than the cheap hobbyking branded remote can offer tp use on my tank , The answer was. Nope, so I bought it. I bought a spare rceiver to coz it was so cheap, and ok to have if the one that came in the box would fail, ore be a DOA.

How well does it work, well, I unpacked it, slammed in the batteris and bind it to the receiver, and this is how it works :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_h2e...4&feature=plcp

Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 PM
maintcoder

I use the Turnigy 9x 2.4 Ghz radios with my Tamiya models.  You can program/set the trim and sub trim to allow you to use the fast up stick movement to trigger the main gun without changing the trims manually.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 PM
tamiyatorg

What kind of adhesives do you guys use?

Instructions (http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/56010ml.pdf) call for:

plastic cement (blue shaded areas in instruction) I have this ( http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=87038), ok? or too thin?
Synthetic rubber cement, I have shoe goo, will that work?
Instant cement, is this CA glue like I use to glue my tires to my wheels?

thanks for any feedback.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Ca glue works great. It is a super glue. If you get it, I recommend using the zip kicker with it, as it will dry the glue on contact.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:21 PM
ksoc

I use the Testors liquid cement, so thin will work. Just need to use the right amount and keep the pieces together till it sets up.

I use shoe goo for rubber cement.

Also to hold on any accessories on the outside of the tank. It gives a bit when bumped and the parts come off with a slow steady pull.

The Side skirts on my Tiger were being ripped off so often I started using shoe goo to hold them on
Old 07-15-2012, 04:07 AM
ausf

Testors blue is my go to styrene cement. All my static kits and both Tamiya tanks are built with it and nothing has ever come apart, whether I want it to or not. It's thickenough not to run, but thin enough not to blob up and gives you working time.

The Tamiya thin is fine, just be careful with it. Styrene glues actual melt the plastic together to bond, the differences are in how much. You could use straight MEK, it's the best especially for ABS, but too much and you have a mess. Plus it evaporates so quickly, it's usually dripped into the join while the parts are held together. Tamiya thin is less volatile than straight MEK, but you don't want to get it where you don't want it.

CA is an amazingly strong glue for mating strength, like you see it the old commercial of the guy hanging from his head. But it has very little shear strength, so keep that in mind when gluing things to the side of the tank that'll come in contact while driving around.

I can't remember where they wanted you to use rubber cement, but I use a good PVA binder instead of CA in all cases of dissimilar surfaces.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 AM
acrijos

You can still get the Futaba Attack radio through ebay. There are a couple of suppliers in Hong Kong. I have 2 Tiger Is, one is almost stock but with an aluminum barrel. The other has many modifications, from gearset upgrades, metal tracks, Abel PE kit, etc. I enjoy both of them equally.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Tamiyatorg,
These guys have the PC interface you need, I know they have one for the Spektrum Radios. http://www.endurance-rc.com/pctx.php
And I too use Spektrum DX6i Transmitters no problem programmingthem to fire theguns with normal stick movements (no need to use the trim controls).
Steve
Old 07-19-2012, 11:35 PM
tamiyatorg

thanks for the info, I picked up the DX6i the other day. Just ordered the standard PCTx with the mono plug.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:57 AM
tamiyatorg

When it comes to setting up the DX6i I found these links:
http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forum...hp?f=80&t=5632
http://dettankcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=220.0

When connecting the speaker everything is sounding like it should.

When I connect the motors, I'm only getting forward and reverse. No rotation.

When I do the setup on the DMD it's always blinking the same pattern. (Page 18 of the manual http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/56010ml.pdf)

Any ideas (or setups I can duplicate)? Both links above are partial and the first one has (to me) strange trim settings (that I still followed).

Old 07-26-2012, 11:19 PM
tamiyatorg

Got it sorted. Needed to leave the adjustments at 100% when doing the DMD setup.

The feedback on the DMD setup is *REALLY* poor.

Alternate flashing green->red->orangefollowed by threeAlternate red->orange->green..

that's tall the same color sequence to me!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM
tamiyatorg

FInished it
So much fun to build!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks Great!!!! The Tiger I was my first full option R/C tank. Easy to build and a good runner.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 AM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

Very Nice looking Tiger.