Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Shockwave 55 gel coat and repaint??

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Shockwave 55 gel coat and repaint??

Old 07-01-2012, 06:37 AM
EuroXS4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockwave 55 gel coat and repaint??

Hey guys so I picked up a shockwave 55inch rc gas boat couple days ago.The bow of the boat got damage during shipping and there is some other areas as well that need attention.I am wondering is the bow can be fixed with bondo or should it be glassed??as well as some other areas??Also since the gel coat has some chips in nicks in it and im not crazy about the yellow paint.Would it be safe to fix the issue with bondo and sand the gel coat and paitn over with some automotive paint??My friend is a body guy he would be doing the work.Just wondering if this would work and is a good route to go.Also I need to put some foam in this boat as there is none.Can I use the foam in a can to fill the cavity within this boat??other tips or trick would be greatly appreciated.I will post some pics later.Thanks guys.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:18 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shockwave 55 gel coat and repaint??

Use gelcoat to fix the gelcoat as for floatation use pool noodles .Without seeing the damage to the bow its hard to say if just filling it will fix it.
Mart
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't use the foam in the can.I bought a hull where some one used it in the bow and it split the seam as well as made ripples on the deck in the bow area.It was a real pain to dig out.I repaired the hull and put pool noodles in it for floatation.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:05 PM
EuroXS4

Well i got some pictures however i discovered a new problem.When trying to fit the rudder on and rear hardware found out the driveshaft tube got bent in shipping by alot about 1/2 inch.Now i dont know how i will straight it.This thing was shipped insured so im gonna have to file a claim with the shipping company for damages.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:34 PM
EuroXS4

any way to fix the drive shaft tube without botching up the hull and replacing it??I was thinking to stuff something rigid into th tube and try bend on other end till its right but i am not sure.Any ideas??
Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Tidnab

I had a Shockwave 55 and I believe the tube was 11/32" with a teflon liner.If your's is the same you could cut the tube off where it exits the bottom of the hull and leave a little on the inside to slide a 5/16 " tube through it,thus eliminating the teflon lined tube.You would have to bend the new tube to run it toward the transom.You could also cut the tube out of the hull and patch the area where the tube went through the hull and run the brass tube inside the hull bottom to make it surface drive.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 PM
EuroXS4

Attached pictures you can clearly see the damage to the hull and how badly bent is the drive shaft tube.I filed a claim with fedex.This thing was supposed to be sent insured.However the tracking number i recieved in a picture of the receipt the total for shipping was cut off. But the first number looks like a 7 more like 70.00 but the seller told me it would be 120.00 to ship. and the subtotal also cut off looks like 77.00 which makes sense because california tax is 10% so I dont know if it was sent insured or not.if fedex tells me i dont have a case cause it wasnt insured then ill have to file a claim through paypal to get my money back.It looks like i got jipped on the shipping as it is.But I will keep you guys updated once I know this for a fact but thats what its looking like.Well see.

What do you mean by surface drive??Sorry im new to rc gas boats.I am not sure if that would work because the transom has some holes drilled for the hardware but i guess i could always move everything up.However if i could keep this the way it is it would be great.Would the fact that i eliminated the teflon liner affect performance of cause more wear and heat on the drive shaft??Of course i would have to lube the drive shaft inside the now smaller tube i under stand that.Just wonderingf if the teflon liner is critical.Also the new tube could it be made out of brass or some other metal??

Old 07-05-2012, 05:05 PM
EuroXS4

any tips would help at this point.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 PM
danielplace

You don't need the teflon. Use 5/16" brass and it does really need to be changed to surface drive. Those things had some serious bowsteer with that drive under the hull. That is why they all were changed to a surface drive about 5 years ago.

Cut that whole mess off the bottom and patch it up with fiberglass. Mount the drive with the centerline 9/16" up from bottom and the stuffing tube right out the transom and knock all the bearings out of the strut and run the tube right through it. Get a welded stub cable and a round collet for the engine and you will have a decent driveline and a drivable boat.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 PM
stevo7896

What did the shipping box look like,did the damage on the box match the damage on the boat. That chip in the gel,was there pieces in the box. Was there photos of the item before shipped. Looking at those pictures that box should have been toast looking at damage or shipper dident pack well at all. Unless box was really damaged ,I would file a paypal claim
Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 PM
stevo7896

Looking at pictures ,those areas look like use damage. The bow is pushed in and also scrapped up good. My guess is it was banged up before packed,but I could be wrong.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:29 PM
EuroXS4

There was some pieces of gelcoat and fiber glass in the box.I filed a claim with fedex.This thing should have gone out insured because of this very reason and scenario.The seller told me he wouldnt ship it any other way.If fedex tells me it wasnt shipped insured and tells me the actual price of the shipping.I will go from there and see what happens.Anyone have pictures of the updated surface drive shockwave??
Old 07-08-2012, 05:51 PM
EuroXS4

I hear ya.However I am concerned with loosing some acceleration and steering when going to surface drive.So I havent decided yet on what I will do.
ORIGINAL: danielplace

You don't need the teflon. Use 5/16" brass and it does really need to be changed to surface drive. Those things had some serious bowsteer with that drive under the hull. That is why they all were changed to a surface drive about 5 years ago.

Cut that whole mess off the bottom and patch it up with fiberglass. Mount the drive with the centerline 9/16" up from bottom and the stuffing tube right out the transom and knock all the bearings out of the strut and run the tube right through it. Get a welded stub cable and a round collet for the engine and you will have a decent driveline and a drivable boat.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:15 PM
EuroXS4

Ok guys so i decided for the time being i will take the advice and run the 5/16 brass tube to fix the stuffing tube.Any idea what would work best to bend this tube without folding or crushing the wall??Would a brake line bending tool work???
Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: EuroXS4

Ok guys so i decided for the time being i will take the advice and run the 5/16 brass tube to fix the stuffing tube.Any idea what would work best to bend this tube without folding or crushing the wall??Would a brake line bending tool work???
Install the flex and bend by hand nice and steady should bend easy.DO NOT HEAT UP THE BRASS.
Mart
Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 PM
EuroXS4

Thanks for the tip.As far  as attaching the brass to the existing stuffing tube??Epoxy the outside of the brass tube and slide it into the stuffing box??Also It seems as if the battery pack or power supply for the receiver and servos is missing anyone know what I can use??I would prefer something rechargable the rceiver i have is a JR racing r135 with jr servos.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 PM
martno1fan

No need to glue the tube into the stuffing box just slide it in,the tube is then fixed at the motor end using a t bar or home made holder.That way should you ever need it out it will just slide right out once released from the t bar.For powering your reciever and servos use a nimh hump pack 6 volt.
Mart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30365.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1782000  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:06 AM
EuroXS4

pretty sweet T bar is that custom or where can i order one??
Old 07-16-2012, 12:52 PM
EuroXS4

Anyone know where I can pick up a T Bar??
Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
EuroXS4

So I got my K&S brass tubing today.I was thinking about selling this thing as I found a 62 inch apache for sale ready to run however it turned out it was 2 good to be true.It had new paint on the exterior of the hull and the interior was less than clean and had overspray all over the place.I was less than impressed.So I took the listing down to sell this hull and got started on fixing the stuffing tube.Not much progress but its something.I ended up cutting the existing stuffing tube at a angle right after it comes out of the bottom of the hull and inserted the brass tube that will be the fix for my stuffing tube issue.I will probably mount the rear strut bracket that holds the flex shaft and the rudder and install the flex shaft so I can bend the brass tube to the angle I need.All in all I like the way the brass looks coming out of the bottom of the hull give it a nice updated modern looks compared to the steel stuffing tube that originally looked just dull and old.

Oh yeah I will be fixing the cracks near the stuffing tube on the bottom of the hull and will probably put in some reinforcement on the inside of the hull.Still looking for a T-bar anyone know a off the shelf unit that will work for this??Or should I try to epoxy the brass shaft into the old stuffing tube??
Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM
EuroXS4

So I have  the brass tube bent into shape roughly however there is still some room for the flex cable to move around inside the tube.Ive heard of people putting 2 smaller diameter brass tubes inside one another to create a make shift bearing and retain grease.Should I consider this??Or leave it as is??
Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Tidnab

Leave it as is. You can put a grease block on it as shown in the pic and if you want a radio box seal in front of that to catch any grease that comes out. You grease with the grease block instead of pulling the cable out the strut each time,but the cable should be taken out once in a while to check it's condition.The rotation of the flexshaft when the engine is running pulls the grease down the tube toward the strut.There was also some T bars that had a grease fitting on it,but haven't seen any around lately.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21949.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1783649  
Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 PM
EuroXS4

That Looks pretty good Id like to score a T-bar with a grease fitting that would be great.Other wise I gotta see how im gonna attach this brass tube.Also where can I the rubber boot??
Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Tidnab

Rubber boot at http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=409
You can also get them at Tower Hobbies or maybe at a local hobby shop.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 PM
EuroXS4

Im assuming to use the grease fitting i need to drill a hole in the brass tube??Also whats the standard for engine rails in gas boats is it 5 or 6 inches??or more??Trying to find a T-bar with a grease fitting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.