Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

What glow engine would you choose

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:26 PM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What glow engine would you choose

Thanks for the response, Mike. That all makes perfect sense.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

My favorite? That would be a tough one! My first engine was a Dennymite, in 1939, and over the years, I'v had at least 50, maybe more, engines. An early favorite was the Forster 29, and I had at least 6 of them. I had one in a Korda Powerhouse, around 1946 while in the AF, and when I was discharged in 1948, with my discharge money, I went to the PX, which actually sold model stuff, and bought 2 more Forsters, a Bantam, and a Mixmaster for my Mothers' birthday which was Oct. 2, my discharge date! During the service, I had a Phantom P-30, Ohlson 60, Hassad 65, Madewell 35, and a couple others I can't remember. Since then, McCaoys, Ardens, Atoms, Enyas, Sks, a number of 049s, 061s, 09s, Fox 40, 35 74, Forster 99, PAW diesel, HP 25, HP-61, several HP-40 rear rotor ( a SUPER engine), Atlas MX-50, Atlas G50, Enya 4-stroke 90, and now have a ys-91 4 stroke. I can't even remember all of them! OH!OH! I may be giving away my age!!! Naw, I don't mind. I'm 86, my wife hits 91 0n 8/10, and is legally blind, and STILL kicks my butt at the bowling alley!! She recently beat 2 guys with 214 and 234 averages, and can't see the pins!!! Did they ever take a beating!!! Lee Robinson W. Palm Beach.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Robinaire
My Feedback: (23)

My favorite? That would be a tough one! My first engine was a Dennymite, in 1939, and over the years, I'v had at least 50, maybe more, engines. An early favorite was the Forster 29, and I had at least 6 of them. I had one in a Korda Powerhouse, around 1946 while in the AF, and when I was discharged in 1948, with my discharge money, I went to the PX, which actually sold model stuff, and bought 2 more Forsters, a Bantam, and a Mixmaster for my Mothers' birthday which was Oct. 2, my discharge date! During the service, I had a Phantom P-30, Ohlson 60, Hassad 65, Madewell 35, and a couple others I can't remember. Since then, McCaoys, Ardens, Atoms, Enyas, Sks, a number of 049s, 061s, 09s, Fox 40, 35 74, Forster 99, PAW diesel, HP 25, HP-61, several HP-40 rear rotor ( a SUPER engine), Atlas MX-50, Atlas G50, Enya 4-stroke 90, and now have a ys-91 4 stroke. I can't even remember all of them! OH!OH! I may be giving away my age!!! Naw, I don't mind. I'm 86, my wife hits 91 0n 8/10, and is legally blind, and STILL kicks my butt at the bowling alley!! She recently beat 2 guys with 214 and 234 averages, and can't see the pins!!! Did they ever take a beating!!! Lee Robinson W. Palm Beach.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:17 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why?
My wife has been looking for jobs and having to move might threaten my hanger space which got me thinking about scenarios in which Iwould have to choose which got me thinking about what my favorite engine is. Ireally really cant decide !
Recently my little Saito 40 has given me reason to LOVE IT but with over 60 engines to choose from I cant decide . So if I was cast out to a rough and tumble land with limited resources what would Ifly? Two strokes are reliable and powerful but suck fuel, 4 strokes are more complicated but get better fuel economy.
Decisions decisions, lets just hope it never comes to that.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:28 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: lkruse

Hello, Doug! Not a Nelson?

Larry Kruse
i'm not Doug.
but Doug still holds the record with the 900 version we built back in '91......he set the record of 100 minutes that still stands, and yes, it was Doug and my Dad who got things rollin with modifying the Satellite........i did the rest and built the 3 900's. they had higher aspect ratio than this one.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: summerwind

this one
So tell us, how do you like your MDS rear exhaust? I bought two of them from Hobby Club a while back. (wink)

Your OPS does look a lot like it at first glance. Yes, I do have two of the MDS beasties.

Ed Cregger

Ah shucks! Some people are just no fun to play with these days.

Free flight was the very first kind of modeling that I did. Then control line and then R/C. I can hardly walk well enough to do R/C. Free flight would be out of the question.

Ed Cregger
Ed,
i read between your humor and thought for sure when i made the remark about age you would catch my humor back at ya...............
you know i respect you!!
Old 07-19-2012, 05:38 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

My favorite engine is the 350 in the Vette...not a glow engine though

I'd like to have this in my yard and let in run all day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_0xifuTqVA

But if could have only one glow engine...probably get a nice big Seidel radial

Old 07-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

My favorite planet is the sun.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:16 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far I have had the best luck with my 55AX. My thunder tiger .40 was also a very solid motor.

Dead stick motors
Tower hobbies 46, 75
Gms47
Super tiger 2300

Oh my magnum gp25 bushing engine ran like a top.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 PM
jeffie8696

Ihave had good luck with all my Thunder Tigers too. Ithink they are a great value. But Ihave so many engines of such fantastic quality its tough to choose. My Enya 60 4S is really awesome if a little heavy.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

gms .47, its just so reliable and throttles so well, idles at 1800 with 0% nitro...just a great all around engine
i like the supertigre 51 for its transition speed and the mag 52 for its top end but the gms is the best overall.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM
downunder

It's a bit difficult for me to narrow down a favourite engine but I'd have to say my Dooling 29 (which isn't even fully run in yet) is one I'd never part with. Of useable engines I'd give the nod to my Irvine 40RLS which is magnificent followed very closely by my latest which is an Enya 61 CXLRS. These are CL engines but the best of my RC engines is the Enya 60X-III.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:40 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

So far I have had the best luck with my 55AX. My thunder tiger .40 was also a very solid motor.

Dead stick motors
Tower hobbies 46, 75
Gms47
Super tiger 2300

And what do all of the "dead stick" engines have in common? They all need a careful and extensive break-in, whereas the OS .55AX does not. A little bench running time and patience would have yielded four excellent running and dependable engines.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-20-2012, 04:01 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An OS FSR series of any size.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:01 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

For me it would probably be the OS120FS 4stroke
Old 07-20-2012, 07:58 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

True, many engines benefit from a good long break in. My Saitos, my ringed 2-strokes, and some of my bushed ABN 2-strokes have continued to improve over the first 2 to 5
gallons of fuel. Engines that were troublesome for the first gallon turned into very reliable great engines.

There are also "dead stick" engines that need more than careful breakins. I had one bad engine out of about 35 total that I have owned. It had air leaks that I could not find or fix. After countless hours of working on it I gave up.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:50 AM
SrTelemaster150

at least 4 (what i call modern day RC enthusiasts) club members asked the stupidest questions i ever encountered from ''what manufacturer builds this one''.....to ''why did the ARF maker put those silly looking bellcranks in the upper wing''...........2 guys thought my homemade engine would never run...........i didn't know that Laser's were homemade..............it's only one of the finest 4 strokes out there without ''made in Chineese knockoff factory''

Your "stupidest questions" remind me of another sport/hobby I used to enjoy.

Back when I was active in the traditional archery scene in the mid-late 1990s, I used to have a lot of the "wheel bow" shooters, when they saw my recurve/longbow, ask "what is that set on"? To which I would reply. "It depends on how far I pull it back".
Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM
carddfann

Most of my planes are in the .40 size range and the work horse engines of my .40 fleet are my two Fox 45's that I move from one plane to another.
I like them because they are reliable and don't give me problems. Also, they are rugged as they survived a few hard crashes with minor damage to the
engine such as needing a new muffler and needle valve (got bent). Other than that, clean the dirt out and its back in the air.

Another favorite is the K&B 61 Twister. Light and strong. I have others, but those are at the top of my list.

Enya's are really good too. Shame we don't see more of them.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:04 AM
hsukaria

Jeffie8696, if your problem is what engines to give up in case you have to move, let us help you decide which ones to give up. To compensate us for this service, you can send us those "undesirable" engines.

I don't have as many engines as most of you. But the brands I have/had are: Irvine, Supertigre, OS 2 &4 stroke, Norvel, Magnum, Thunder Tiger 4stroke, Siato, and Fox. I love them all, even the less exotic, expensive, or powerful ones. They all have a story. But the one I would never give up is my 18 year old Irvine 40 ABC that my wife bought me for our first Christmas together. It is the old 2-piece crankcase and awesome carb. I put a tuned muffler on it and performance is stunning. I can run any fuel through it without having to tune excessively. I usually run the old fuel from the previous year through it and it has no trouble. I can run a 12x4 prop with no fuss. I call it the "honeymoon" engine.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Jeffie8696, if your problem is what engines to give up in case you have to move, let us help you decide which ones to give up. To compensate us for this service, you can send us those ''undesirable'' engines.

I don't have as many engines as most of you. But the brands I have/had are: Irvine, Supertigre, OS 2 &4 stroke, Norvel, Magnum, Thunder Tiger 4stroke, Siato, and Fox. I love them all, even the less exotic, expensive, or powerful ones. They all have a story. But the one I would never give up is my 18 year old Irvine 40 ABC that my wife bought me for our first Christmas together. It is the old 2-piece crankcase and awesome carb. I put a tuned muffler on it and performance is stunning. I can run any fuel through it without having to tune excessively. I usually run the old fuel from the previous year through it and it has no trouble. I can run a 12x4 prop with no fuss. I call it the ''honeymoon'' engine.
Now that's a story! I really wish I could get my wife to buy me engines or aircraft kits. : / I've asked her to buy me hotrod car parts - a 4bbl Holley carburetor for example.... Of which I still haven't gotten. She has said on various occasions; "Someday...".

Maybe I'll just have to buy my own 10yr wedding anniversary gift - a Jett 56LX. =D
Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Jeffie8696, if your problem is what engines to give up in case you have to move, let us help you decide which ones to give up. To compensate us for this service, you can send us those ''undesirable'' engines.

I don't have as many engines as most of you. But the brands I have/had are: Irvine, Supertigre, OS 2 &4 stroke, Norvel, Magnum, Thunder Tiger 4stroke, Siato, and Fox. I love them all, even the less exotic, expensive, or powerful ones. They all have a story. But the one I would never give up is my 18 year old Irvine 40 ABC that my wife bought me for our first Christmas together. It is the old 2-piece crankcase and awesome carb. I put a tuned muffler on it and performance is stunning. I can run any fuel through it without having to tune excessively. I usually run the old fuel from the previous year through it and it has no trouble. I can run a 12x4 prop with no fuss. I call it the ''honeymoon'' engine.
Now that's a story! I really wish I could get my wife to buy me engines or aircraft kits. : / I've asked her to buy me hotrod car parts - a 4bbl Holley carburetor for example.... Of which I still haven't gotten. She has said on various occasions; ''Someday...''.

Maybe I'll just have to buy my own 10yr wedding anniversary gift - a Jett 56LX. =D
Well, my "honeymoon" engine is the only engine she ever bought me!!! Once the honeymoon was over, no more engines from her.

I could use a Jett .76. Maybe for our second honeymoon.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 PM
jeffk464

Dead stick motors
Tower hobbies 46, 75
Gms47
Super tiger 2300

Oh, I guess if I could have any engine from what I hear it would be a YS 110 or 120. But thats a wish list, not from experience.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:16 PM
erik58
My Feedback: (4)

love em all especially the diesels any thing wierd
Old 07-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

O.S. .61 SF Ringed. If you have one new-in-box, I'll give you $150 shipped for it.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 PM
jeffk464

Maybe so, but I would still tell anyone new to the hobby to put down the cash for the OS and be done with it.

Dead stick motors
Tower hobbies 46, 75
Gms47
Super tiger 2300

And what do all of the ''dead stick'' engines have in common? They all need a careful and extensive break-in, whereas the OS .55AX does not. A little bench running time and patience would have yielded four excellent running and dependable engines.

Ed Cregger
I would still tell anyone to pay the cash for the OS though and enjoy the years of solid performance. You will soon forget the extra money you spent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.