Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Knife Edge Spin Doctor Needed

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Knife Edge Spin Doctor Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:51 PM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Knife Edge Spin Doctor Needed

I have two planes, one of which I can't seem to get to KEspin correctly no matter what I try. (I'm sure I haven't tried everything).

With my Edge, Inail it every time, to the point that the plane is literally spinning on the wing axis with the wing pointing straight down, like a pole is going thru wingtip to wingtipnot the slanted knife edge attitude. And that's at idle. If I throttle up, it just gets faster, tighter, and more exciting (no comments from perverts please).

BUT:

With the Funtana, which is balanced a bit tail heavy (purposely, just like the edge), I can only get it in the slanted knife edge attitude. If I add throttle, it goes into an inverted flat spin. I've also tried going right into it, both idle and with some power, same result. The only way I can seem to get it to somewhat KEspin is to just let it fall, no rudder, full aile and Down Elev. Ialso notice I need to keep more left aile in. With the Edge, I can get the stick damn near neutral for the perfect KE spin.

I know different planes fly differently, but to this extreme? Is there something I'm missing, maybe different setup options for the Funtana, or does the Edge just do it better because its a better tumbler? My rudder rates on both planes in high are
relatively the same in both planes, but the Funtana has way more relative throw in the elevators. No Rudd/Elev mix on either bird...

Any ideas?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:19 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knife Edge Spin Doctor Needed

thrust help's airframes lay out flat in KE spin's

your funtana does it Have SFG's that might give more rudder authority
Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Rudder authority would be my guess, but as you say, different planes fly differently
Old 06-24-2012, 08:03 AM
djmp69

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I thought about that, but here's the thingI have plenty of rudder authority. The Funtana will KE all day, and even does KE loops, either from a hover or in motion. The rudder is pretty much just shy of touching the elev halves at full throw. Plus, the SFGs only would help the rudder when the air is moving ACROSS their faces, not AT their faces as in the spin. The Edge does it way better with no SFGs, and not at much rudder. Besides, I'd like to learn to do it without the help of any "cheaters" or learn the proper set up (I have an idea my setup is a bit off).

Good point though, thanx!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:34 AM
nmking09
My Feedback: (61)

KE spins = new engine mounts and motor bearings... especially at full throttle. but they do look cool.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

You dont need full throttle to do KE spins
Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 AM
mxcop114
My Feedback: (5)

Every plane design needs a slightly different input, some will lock in with full elevator/rudder and aileron, most will go flat if you input too much aileron and elevator so the trick is finding the sweet spot, try entering with slightly less than full elevator input. Also, you should have at least 45 degrees of elevator throw to start with, like I said, some require slightly less to maintain it, and same goes for ailerons. There are a few good instructional videos around that explain this.

Lee