Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

New tires. Not only do the stockers not have any traction at all, they are thin. I ripped mine in half!

I'm still running the stock tires on mine without any issues.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

New tires. Not only do the stockers not have any traction at all, they are thin. I ripped mine in half!

Are you running a 2800kv 4 pole on 3s :P
Old 07-18-2012, 03:57 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: chasehq

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Had a good bashing ssession yesterday with my XS, and my father inlaw with his pede. I let him test drive the XS so he could feel the power of brushless on a lipo. He was surprised, and I think he became a little over confident. We were in a big field, and there was one lone tree on the opposite side. He was full throttle heading in that direction. I saw the tree and told him "Keep an eye on those trees". And what does he do? He hits it, full throttle. And I've noticed that most beginners seem to watch the truck instead of whats in front of it. But here's the clincher... he flew up the tree vertically and rode a branch upside downthat was portruding from the tree about 10 feet!! I was freaking out thinking the truck was going to explode into pieces when he hit the tree, but no, he flew up up the tree and rode a branch! The only mark on the truck was a small scratch on the skid plate. That showed him how durable this truck is. He is now looking at the Flux HP1/8 scale lol. Crazy bash session.
That would have been cool if you had gottenthat on video, the mental picture in my headis hilarious!

Hi guys I'm obviously new here, first post on RCU but by no means new to RC (started with hobby grade in '87). I currently have 25 RC's, (used to be lots more).

So I have read a fair bit of this thread and have just bought a new RTR XS despite knowing of the issues with it. Have read up a fair bit about the esc and motor
so upgrading these is on the cards eventually. So I shouldLoctite the motor pinion for starters, the screws apparently strip so maybe some RCscrewz are on the cards too, going to buy some new lipo's as mine are only 20c and 25c respectively which isnt enough for my mad force velet alone this little beast.

is there any other recommendations?

Cheers in advance
I wish I had gotten it on video. It was awesome for a mistake, but it was definitely once in a lifetime lol. As for your flux upgrades... I run proline badlands tires on HPI monster rims. they are great tires, traction on every surface and don;t wear quick at all. I would recommend getting the heavy duty drive cups. for all 4 corners and the center ones. if the esc goes up, get the castle 3800kv system, atleast the sidewinder sct or the mamba max pro sct 3800kv system. the batteries you have should be fine. i would go minimum 25c.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:02 AM
cumminspower5.9

When I have some extra money, I'm going to buy a Turnigy 3s lipo and throw it in the Flux XS. I have an extra Vapor Pro esc laying around so if it goes up, no big deal. I want to see what this truck is capable of when pushed to its limits. I will try hard to get a video of it.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 AM
t9dragon

I am still running the stock esc and motor on 2s and 3s.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 AM
cumminspower5.9

I am still running the stock esc and motor on 2s and 3s.
Yea it's only like the tenth time T9 has bragged, I mean said he was running the stock systemlol
Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 AM
t9dragon

Can I helpit if my system is still running good.. I am honestly surprised that it hasn't gone ouffing in either of our XS's..
Old 07-18-2012, 08:14 AM
cumminspower5.9

I know ur lucky man. I didn't think mine was going to go up either, then a week later "pop" "psssss". You just happen to have got a good one. I'll be throwing mine on a 3s soon, so hopefully it holds up.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM
sparky 25

What amp is the stock esc on the xs?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: sparky 25

What amp is the stock esc on the xs?

I think around 45a, but I could be wrong. It's surprising how low Castle ESCs are sometimes rated...
Old 07-18-2012, 12:02 PM
sparky 25

Ok, thanks,

Was getting worried that the 80a esc I ordered was too low a rating,

No wonder there are so many esc issues with the rtr setup,

My motor and esc should be with me before the weekend, can't wait for the first run with my xs
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM
thehuntingterminator

See ya' later guys. Since I sold my XS a while ago and didn't really care for it, I'd figured I'd get out of y'alls hair and unsubscribe. PM me if anyone nee's anything.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 PM
gdiddy13

I feel like I'm always asking dumb questions, but thanks guys for not making me feel that way.

I've been having a lot of heat issues, and I'm considering changing motors to alleviate this problem.

I love this motor, and would love to stay as close to the performance of this motor as possible. I just clocked it the other day @ 42mph on 2s.

Problem is, it is getting way to hot, and I don't want to "take it easy". I have more fun going all out.

Is it possible to buy a new motor only, to run on the stock ESC without any problems, same performance, but less heat issues? I don't want to lose the waterproof aspect either.

Has anyone used the CC motor shroud with the fan on it, for our motors?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:29 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: gdiddy13

I feel like I'm always asking dumb questions, but thanks guys for not making me feel that way.

I've been having a lot of heat issues, and I'm considering changing motors to alleviate this problem.

I love this motor, and would love to stay as close to the performance of this motor as possible. I just clocked it the other day @ 42mph on 2s.

Problem is, it is getting way to hot, and I don't want to ''take it easy''. I have more fun going all out.

Is it possible to buy a new motor only, to run on the stock ESC without any problems, same performance, but less heat issues? I don't want to lose the waterproof aspect either.

Has anyone used the CC motor shroud with the fan on it, for our motors?

I have used the CC motor fan but not on the XS motor.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 PM
chasehq

Thanks Cumminspower and everybody else. New tires are definitely on the cards, the stock arent very grippy at all but in saying that they are controllable and fun under loss of traction
Looking at some HPI ground assaults or Proline gladiators or similar, something with a small spike. I have spare Dirt Paws and Trac-Ta-Gators, but I think they would be too agressive.

Pulled it to bits last night to check motor pinion and with the stock 1.5mm allen key and numerous others stripping them in the process, I couldn't get the grub screw undone so left well alone.

Haven't stripped any screws, they all seem fine for an RTR. Will see how the stock electronics hold up, the stock servo isn't as bad as I thought, expectable for an rtr, but will definitely be upgraded soon.

gdiddy13:

I've read elsewhere that the Castle 3800kv 1410 runs approx 30-40 degress cooler, the castle motor has .2 stator lamintors whereas the savage 4000kv has .35 also different magnets, this and that the stock esc seems to have spikes of more than 30amps over when the 3800kv motor is installed! Of course take Ithe interent with a grain of salt but I am certainly considering getting the 3800kv motor if my esc holds out!
Old 07-19-2012, 06:35 PM
gdiddy13

Can someone compare this setup to the stock?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXBLBZ

Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 AM
cumminspower5.9

Not sure how that is, but I got thinking...what about the castle system by duratrax? the 3900kv motor and sv2 esc?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:46 AM
gdiddy13

Not sure how that is, but I got thinking...what about the castle system by duratrax? the 3900kv motor and sv2 esc?
Have a link for that setup?

Old 07-20-2012, 07:01 AM
t9dragon

Batteries are charged and it is almost time to go bashing... I wonder if the XS's will stay together long enough to run all 8 lipos thru them..
Old 07-20-2012, 10:26 PM
chasehq

Well ive put about 8 2s lipos through mine and kept an eye on the temps the whole time and not had any problems (touch wood)

Really happy so far with this little beast, i think all the stuff i read on the internet made me a bit neutral about how i felt about buying this,
but its a lot better than i expected and i am glad i got one. even if it pops the esc or motor, i'd still be happy with it.

Now just to replace those ugly chrome wheels and gripless tyres and custom paint a body for it
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 AM
gdiddy13

What is the normal or target operating temp of our motors and ESC? and what is the cutoff set at?
Old 07-22-2012, 05:09 PM
cumminspower5.9

So I know some of you were talking about the heavy duty drive cups, but I can't find it here. I was driving and I split my front left drive cup right down the middle. I was to get a set of heavy duty center drive cups and heavy duty output drive cups at all 4 corners. Can someone help? I'd prefer something other than ebay for them.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:28 PM
gdiddy13

So I know some of you were talking about the heavy duty drive cups, but I can't find it here. I was driving and I split my front left drive cup right down the middle. I was to get a set of heavy duty center drive cups and heavy duty output drive cups at all 4 corners. Can someone help? I'd prefer something other than ebay for them.

I use the HR ones and haven't had a problem. Might still be available on Liquidrc .com or unfortunately Ebay, but Iwould buy again without hesitation

Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 AM
cumminspower5.9

Hotracing.com has the HR ones I think you are talking about. How do those hold up? I only run my flux on 2s.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:30 AM
gdiddy13

Hotracing.com has the HR ones I think you are talking about. How do those hold up? I only run my flux on 2s.

They have held up really well for me, and I use 2s only as well. I was surprised at how well they have done considering how fast the stock cups got beat down.

But for some reason I've had really good luck with my truck, still on the original ESC and all that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.