Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Supertigre X 45 help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:20 AM
turbine guy
My Feedback: (266)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supertigre X 45 help

Hello
I have a nib Front Intake ,Rear Exhaust , blue head x 45

Has a factory stubby header and no manual

Can someOne tell me pipe OAL I should use and prop sizes
I believe this was a pattern engIne ( has a carb-not Venturi)

TIA
Jake
Old 07-19-2012, 06:01 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Supertigre X 45 help

Jake,

what model do you want to put the engine into? Pipe length will have to be determined by prop size which in turn is somewhat determined by airframe. A 40 size Arrow would be a nice design to put this muscle into.

If memory serves, the X40/45 came with a 15 degree ST header more purposely designed for F1 application as you mentioned. Most guys used these engines for F1 (after modifying them) but they were typically the RIRE versions rather than the FIRE version. If you want to use the engine in a vertical or side mount configuration in a classic pattern design, I'd recommend that you source a "fuse top" header for it and corresponding 8.5 cc tuned pipe.

Given the nature of these engines, they are probably much happier turning a 10" prop, for pattern, rather than an 11" prop which could bog them down. I believe that for F1 they would be propped with 9" blades but I personally wouldn't do that on a 40-45 sized pattern design. The X40 would likely do well on a 10x5, 10x6, while the X45 could probably take a 10x7 or even a 10x8 and produce some serious rpm's with the right tuning, plug and fuel.

For fun I've attached a couple of snaps of the MK Arrow 40 which I'm redesigning in CAD - a future laser cut project. I intend to use a YS 45 FR for power.

You should post some snaps of your engine and header for reference in the thread.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57629.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1783513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93637.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1783514  
Old 07-19-2012, 07:58 AM
turbine guy
My Feedback: (266)

Hi David
Thanks for the help
Looks like the stubby header is for a mini pipe(straight) with no need to hold it on cept for "o" ring cause there's no restriction ?
Looks like I'll have to modify another header to fit the bolt hole spacing and get some length to play with tuning it.
Seems it would be a better pattern motor than noisy F1
Jake
Old 07-19-2012, 04:57 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Jake,
I've had very good luck in the past getting headers made by Macs Products. You might also try 'Frequentflyer' here on RCU as I know he has made some headers in the past (and seems able to make just about anything - at least r/c pattern related).

David,
I'd love a laser cut Arrow 40 kit if your project gets that far. I had an MK Arrow 40 with an OS 40VF - it was a great flying airplane. I built it in 1989 and flew it until 5 or 6 years ago when the fuselage started falling apart - the wing is still good (I think).
-Will
Old 07-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Johnkpap

You will need to find a Supertigre X40 (Pylon Engine) MAC's Header:- this will fit. You should be then able to fit any standard 40 Tuned pipe to it.
This header is "discontinued" your best bet is to talk to the olderr pylon guys at your local model club, or look the next swap meet (I got one for mine there)

Johnkpap
Old 07-21-2012, 07:40 AM
somiss1
My Feedback: (5)

I ran a ST .45 in a MK Arrow(.40). Fine engine! The ST header was made for the "O" ring and had a spring loop to hold the header in place. It looped around the the cylinder head. I ran Zinger 10/6's(pre APC days). I would love to see an Arrow 40! Great flying airplane! Norm Whittle built my Arrow and I bought it from him. I believe that I did use the Mac's header instead and removed the stub and used bolts to mount the header to the engine.