Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Comparf Rookie Question

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Comparf Rookie Question

Old 07-21-2012, 06:48 PM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparf Rookie Question

Trying to wedge my Kero Start P 80 into airframe with thrust vectoring Seems like clearance for the glow stick is a problem to get engine in square...What was the common solution for this problem ? Do most jet cut an access hole in the top of Fuse and let the plug cap hang out ? Cant the engine 45 degrees and do same ? Appreciate the input Any pics very helpful

Bill
Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 732 Likes on 528 Posts
Default RE: Comparf Rookie Question

Bill

Most people had the burner down and at 45 degrees. It clears the engine hatch then. So the engine inverted.

Regards

Dave
Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 AM
laroni

A couple of pictures from my 2 Rookies.
The right one is my "big" Rookie. Shows install for the P80 as DW wrote. ( This is actually a P160SE, but same size and mount )
The left one is my Rookie LT :-). P100Rx and somewhat "different" install.
The LT version was actually just a spare frame, that I decided to finish and, as an experiment, make as light as could be done, but still have power to weight more than 1:1 :-)
Be aware that there is no vectoring on LT
Weight for "Big" is 13 kg's ( wet )
Weight for "LT" is 10 kg's ( 9,8 kg wet )
Hope you get inspired :-)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75474.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1784374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14219.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1784375   Click image for larger version

Name:	In25825.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1784376  
Old 07-22-2012, 04:19 AM
BillJ

I thought thte burner must be Vert. FROM TOP ( 12 oclock) position or variation of 45 degrees ( 10 oclock / 2 oclock ) ?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:55 AM
laroni

Hm. Will there be room for the kero ( as you initially asked )?
If you look at my install, be sure that the temp.probe and kero direction is as shown. That is, they are symmetric placed/rotated related to vertical. Look at attached image.
The probe must NEVER be at the lowest part, because, when you start the turbine, there can be a small buildup ( very small ) where the probe is sensing. This leads to hot-starts!
( Did that mistake in my Lightning, and had times with over-temp ( 800°++ deg ). After turning the turbine properly, it returned to normal starts )
Never problems with the install shown.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43815.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1784431  
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a good match up going on Bill. As soon as i can find some gear im right behind ya in a build Are you doing just the pitch vectoring or both pitch and yaw? If it's just pitch I'm trying to get an average of how far from the fuse end the vector pivot screw is drilled for. Looks like on most it's an't 20 mm. Good luck with your I stall and maiden Bill.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:24 AM
BillJ

HOOKER, Just pitch on the Rookie.....My bolts are 20mm from fuse end.... You should come over and fly with us one weekend... There are a couple of us flying jets at our site ...I fly a eurosport and a DV8R in and out without problems....My friend flys comp arf Tutor and Tucano ...Skymaster T33 out of same place..... Takes about 90 mins from Martinsville

LORONI, I'll give the upside down a try..... If you turned your engine over with plug straight up (12 oclock) you'd see my original problem..Thanks for the Pics...Very helpful
Old 07-22-2012, 07:37 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BillJ

HOOKER, Just pitch on the Rookie.....My bolts are 20mm from fuse end.... You should come over and fly with us one weekend... There are a couple of us flying jets at our site ...I fly a eurosport and a DV8R in and out without problems....My friend flys comp arf Tutor and Tucano ...Skymaster T33 out of same place..... Takes about 90 mins from Martinsville

LORONI, I'll give the upside down a try..... If you turned your engine over with plug straight up (12 oclock) you'd see my original problem..Thanks for the Pics...Very helpful
Bill, both me and a buddy plans to do just that on into the fall. I hated missing the rally but just could not work it out at the time. Yes we are close together in miles. It would be a hoot for me to catch a break and get mine done the same time as yours and then maiden them together but with air show season getting back into full swing with me in a few weeks, don't see it happening. I still have my eyes out for anyone posting some gear and that will be a miles post.