Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

How to use BEC module??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Fastsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to use BEC module??

Hi, I found out that the BEC in my ESC is only rated at 2 amps. It is suggested by other flyers that I need 3 amps for my AXN Floater.
If I buy a seperate BEC rated at 3 amps can I just plug the end into a spare channel? I believe I still need to plug in the BEC off the ESC into the throttle channel to maintain speed control?? Thankx for any advise.[8D]
Old 07-23-2012, 06:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: How to use BEC module??

You will have to remove the power wire from the lead going into the throttle channel to use an external BEC

Though frankly I doubt the little bitty servos in that thing will draw anywhere near 2amps
Old 07-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Fastsky

Hi, I was just going by a common comment about the ESC needing more than 2 amps for the AXN. About the BEC, wouldn't the seperate BEC simply supply add extra current for the receiver if connected without removeing the power lead from the original BEC??
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 AM
BarracudaHockey

If it were two batteries, yes that would be the case.

When you're dealing with 2 BEC's when one is an ESC, sometimes they act weird. Try it and see what happens.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Nodd

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey
...Try it and see what happens...
Better yet, don't. There's no reason to have them both supplying power & Barracuda is correct, it might act weird not to mention potentially frying something or crashing the plane.

There's another very good reason to run a BEC & that's protection from a fried ESC. EP sailplanes tend to beat-up ESC as the motor is usually run full-boar with little or no run up. You get a pretty big spike dumping full power into that big prop all at once. If the ESC goes poof a separate BEC will allow you to continue to control the plane for a safe landing. Without one you stand a good chance of losing the plane if the ESC goes up in smoke... crunch.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Fastsky

Thankx guys! After doing some more research, the above advice makes perfect sense and I will follow it![8D]
Old 07-25-2012, 04:33 AM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: Fastsky

Thankx guys! After doing some more research, the above advice makes perfect sense and I will follow it![8D]