Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:48 PM
dodgers72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Quikturn, how hard is to build the king kobra with retracts and would the Super Tigre 90 be to much for it?
Old 07-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Jerry Hicks
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have built from kits a Kadet Mk II, a Kommander (my all time favorite Sig airplane), a Kavalier (a close second to the Kommander), and a Kougar. The kits are definitely work, but you end up with a very beautiful airplane with lots of durability. I have a Sig Rascal 40 ARF with a Saito 56 that is THE BEST FLYING ARF I've ever had, and I have another identical to it "in reserve" fully assembled and ready to go and a new one NIB on the shelf in case I need it. I also have a Something Extra ARF and a Fourstar 120 ARF, both NIB, on the shelf as future projects. Lastly, I also have the larger Mayhem ARF (90 to 120 size) NIB that I'm going to have to sell this week (ARGH!!), as I have completely and totally run out of room....it's space on the shelf is being taken up by a brand new recently purchased (last 30 days no less) "new production" Kadet Senior ARF. Oh yeah, I have a brand new Rascal 110 assembled and on the shelf ready to go as well.

A note about the new Kadet Senior ARF....it has a "refreshed look" covering scheme compared to the earlier version, but appears in all respect to be virtually identical to initial offering. I took a good hard look at it, and on mine at least the quality was exceptional, and I believe every bit as good as the initial production of the Kadet Senior ARF (I owned one of those too, until cheap #64 rubber bands did me in as well). I always have a trainer on the trailer (I carry 4 to 5 airplanes when I go fly) and my highly modified Hangar 9 Alpha 60 is war weary and due for retirement after 300+ flights and countless landings. The Kadet Senior is also slated for a special role...it will be the airplane my 7 year old son learns to fly on.

I love to build, but....bills, work, 7 year old, wife, etc. prevent me from building more. I'm still trying to finish a Bruce Tharpe Flying King and Venture 60 that I've had under construction for over 5 years. So many airplanes, so little time...
Old 07-22-2012, 04:55 PM
lkruse
My Feedback: (42)

Note that Sig has again begun advertising their newly labeled Rascal 72 ARF and the Kadet Senior ARF, among others, in several of the national print magazines. Hopefully that's an indication that they have returned to the ARF arena. Their web site has the new pricing. Kit availability is good and their service is top-notch. If you are looking to make in-roads into the hobby by doing more than flying ARFs, Sig's kits are the place to start. Attached are a couple of shots of two of my Sig projects: one a HogBipe and the other a Mid-Star. Like all Sig kits, they are both excellent flyers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99173.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1784580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82972.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1784581  
Old 07-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about an Astro Hog ARF?
Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am flying a 4 Star 40 with an OS 40 FP on it and a 4 Star 60 with a Saito 80 4 cycle on it. They both fly great and are fun to fly. Good Luck, Dave
Old 07-22-2012, 05:51 PM
cordell staker

I love Sig. First plane I ever landed over 100 times was a Kavalier. Since then sevveral Somethin' extra kits, Still have one, Hog Bipe, Hog, 3 Four Stars. AND I still have a Sundancer 50cc in a box. The only sig I have crashed was a Hog. Since then I build 'em, enjoy 'em fly 'em overpowered, and then I sell 'em. I am going to try to attach some pictures of my best Sunday flier...a Sig 1.20 arf, Saito 1.80, wings clipped 1 bay. Graphics Help by Eric at B & E.[img][/img][img][/img]

Name:	Yw67949.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1784593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33982.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1784594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd84021.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1784595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18410.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1784596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw18857.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1784597  
Old 07-22-2012, 06:01 PM
dodgers72

There seems to be a lot of talk about the kavalier. I'm kinda leaning towards it, especially since I was born and raised in Virginia. A good UVA cavalier scheme would be a perfect!!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 PM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

My Kavalier is one of my favorites. I love the vintage looks and it flies fantastic. I built mine last winter and flew it for the first time this spring. I wish I had built one a long time ago. You will love it Mr. Dogers.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:35 PM
gliderpros

I love my kavalier also.Built this one as 1200 watt electric. You can't get this kind of a sense of accomplishment from an arf, yes it takes longer and takes practice but we end up with a one of a kind special airplane.

Name:	Fd91863.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	1784619  
Old 07-22-2012, 06:36 PM
wb5ziy

Had the pleasure to attend the Sig event in Montezuma IA last month, what a great event. Got to meet and talk to one of the new owners, Andrea Martin, who is the daughter of Mr. Kavan. I think that Sig is in good hands, we just need to support them. Also got to meet Hazel Sig, quite a lady!!! The flying was great, the food excellent. If you ever get a chance to attend be sure to do it. The flying site was the Sig airport and it is great, the runway is better than most fairways, smooth and flat.

Jack
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM
kcweuste

I have a Something Extra, a Astro Hog, and two 4* 60s, one of which I have turned into a twin engine, and it flies great too!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:46 PM
paul246
My Feedback: (9)

I have a great deal of respect for the Sig company, their devotion to providing quality kits with excellent instructions is unmatched IMO.
I prefer to order directly through Sig, too. Long live Sig, one of the last true hobbyist companies left!

I have, or have built,

Scamp
Supersport
Colt
LT-40
Kougar
Astro Hog
1/3 Scale Spacewalker
Old 07-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: dodgers72

There seems to be a lot of talk about the kavalier. I'm kinda leaning towards it, especially since I was born and raised in Virginia. A good UVA cavalier scheme would be a perfect!!
I can tell you an interesting story about the Kavalier....

I worked at Sig from 1976 to 1978 as a product engineer. Did a little of everything....dies, molds, plans, instruction books etc. When Claude McCullough (a real modeler's modeler) designed the Kavalier, he built a superb prototype with a nice paint job for photos and to get in some test flying. Claude and I were the only two at Sig who flew mode 2.....everyone else flew mode 1 because of the influence of reeds. Now...Claude could fly okay, but he wasn't always comfortable behind the sticks. Since I was young, stupid and fearless...he elected me to do his flying for him. We went out to Sig field on a bright sunny Iowa day with the big puffy clouds hanging around. This was Claudes favorite type of day to take photos. After what seemed like a long long period of Claude snapping away trying to get that perfect box top photo...we were ready to fly. I fueled it up, took off, and after about two clicks of right aileron trim and one of up elevator it was flying perfect. I tried a couple of rolls....perfect. Rolled inverted for a couple of laps....perfect. Ailerons and elevator felt balanced and even did a little slow flight with no problems. Then I tried a loop. It tracked well, wings perfectly level, up and over the top and down the backside....thats when it happened, a sudden pitch up that was very violent (and unexpected!) It only lasted a split second and then back to normal flight. I tried again...same result. At first I thought it was radio hit...but it did it twice more in the same spot. Puzzled...Claude said land it and we checked linkages, servo and every other thing we could think of...but all looked normal. After sitting there beside the model and studying it for a while...it dawned on me what was happening. When Claude was shooting pictures, he only put four #64 rubber bands on the wing because he thought they were ugly. And he didn't add any more! Every time I came down the backside of a loop, the front of the wing would raise up...stetching the rubber bands and then pop back down in place! After about eight more #64's were put on...all was normal.

Jeff Foley
Product Engineer
Sig Mfg. (1976-1978)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:59 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Built the Sig BlueHawk (Sig kit #101) 34" profile model of the Ultimate Bipe. Absolutely luv it!!

Have destroyed three, which is a feat in and of itself, as these built light and strong as Ft Knox! Number four has withstood everything that I've thrown at it so far and remains my #1 go to plane if I just want to throw something in the air for a quickie.

Fast build, inexpensive kit..goes from kittycat to wildcat as fast as you want to be crazy or calm. Never have to worry about smacking it in so I can be as ridiculous as saftey allows and really stretch the envelope.

If I didn't already have the next boxed kit in reserve and felt Sig might need some help I wouldn't hesitate to get another...you know...for the next time my judgement exceeds my skill level/reaction time
Old 07-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Built many Sig planes in my time and have several kits in the basement rafters right now for when I retire and have more time to build. The list I have built include:
Supersport
Komet
Smith Miniplane
Kiwi ( liked it over the Bridi Kaos everyone else was flying then)
Kadet MKII
Space walker 1/3
Kadet SR.
Kadet Seniorita ( my first electric conversion back in 95)
Uncle Sam (my first rubber powered plane)
Flip
I have a Colt, and Kiwi kit stored for the future retirement days
Old 07-22-2012, 07:22 PM
opol

sig is great. 1/4 cub, turned out beautiful. the hog, taught me a few thing about flying. a couple of trike trainers,i wore them out. best of all the morrisey bravo. long live sig.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Gypsy56

Dodgers72,
You could'nt be happier with the way the Kavalier flies, but understand that it is an old school "craftmans" kit.
Lots of building and carving involved. Still not a hard kit to build, just a little more time than the later Sig laser cut kits.

Ed
Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 PM
M_Callahan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned to build and fly on a Kadet MkII. The second was a Kavalier, the third a Kougar. Over the last 25 years I have built

1 Kadet MkII, 2 Kavaliers, 3 Kougars 2 1/4 scale cubs and a 1/5 scale cub. Still have a flyable Kavalier and a Kougar in the
box waiting for its turn on the bench.

I've been thinking very hard about another 1/4 scale cub.

Mike
Old 07-22-2012, 08:18 PM
dodgers72

Mr. Foley thanks for sharing your story with us. It really just makes me want the Kavalier that much more. I can't wait to get it started! There is great history that still seems to be closely attached to the present day Sig we still purchase from today. I really hope that never changes and after seeing all the posts today it seems like things are solid. Sometimes things slip through fingers ( lanier, carl goldberg ) and all that is left are pieces. It would be a real shame if that ever happened to a GREAT company Sig.

Thanks to everyone who has read and posted in this thread lets keep it going I'm sure we've inspired some people today and I would have to say that one of them is me!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:23 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

The Kavalier was the first kit I built. Put about 200 flights on it. Got another one NIB.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 PM
dodgers72

Ed thanks for the heads up on the Kavalier build. After looking at the instructions on Sigs web site I don't think it'll be a problem. Also I'm a finish carpenter by trade so working with wood is like second nature.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:12 PM
PropsnWings

I was there when they demo'd the Sundancer...... I sure wish they still sold that one. Seems it went off the market almost as fast as it went on. When they domo'd it, it was known as Harolds Monster Bipe.

I too have been a long time customer of SIG, and still am to this day. I have the 1/4 spacewalker with saito 1.50, covered in coverite and dope. a 4 star 60 with magnum 91fs... a recently rekitted Extra 300xs, Wonder (was an award at one of their fly-ins several years ago)

recent purchase was the SIG Mini-boss as I had the Boss, and liked the field boxes durability and useability.
ORIGINAL: cordell staker

I love Sig. First plane I ever landed over 100 times was a Kavalier. Since then sevveral Somethin' extra kits, Still have one, Hog Bipe, Hog, 3 Four Stars. AND I still have a Sundancer 50cc in a box. The only sig I have crashed was a Hog. Since then I build 'em, enjoy 'em fly 'em overpowered, and then I sell 'em. I am going to try to attach some pictures of my best Sunday flier...a Sig 1.20 arf, Saito 1.80, wings clipped 1 bay. Graphics Help by Eric at B & E.[img][/img][img][/img]
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 PM
PropsnWings

Does Hazel not still live there? That was her airstrip, or at least as I thought, maybe she sold it off during one of the change of hands with SIG.

It still amazes me SIG started out as a basement hobby cutting kits, soon to be an overwhelming task as popularity swept in.

I am glad to see SIG coming back, and hope they are serious about wanting to stay.

ORIGINAL: wb5ziy

Had the pleasure to attend the Sig event in Montezuma IA last month, what a great event. Got to meet and talk to one of the new owners, Andrea Martin, who is the daughter of Mr. Kavan. I think that Sig is in good hands, we just need to support them. Also got to meet Hazel Sig, quite a lady!!! The flying was great, the food excellent. If you ever get a chance to attend be sure to do it. The flying site was the Sig airport and it is great, the runway is better than most fairways, smooth and flat.

Jack
Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I'm worried about them becoming like Lanier or Carl Goldberg and selling out for lack of business/profit.  
Quite the alarmist thread title, all in CAPS as if the sky were falling. What brought that on ?? 

I've built and enjoyed many kits, Sig's included, but don't see what the OP's issue is. No need to shout plz, get enough of that from Fox.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:43 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: dodgers72

I hear what your saying. My concern with Sig is in the arf department. I went to Toledo a few years ago and spoke with their reps. whom were very optimistic then too. That was also around the time when their arfs became unavailable.I really hope that is the case! Looking at their website they only offer a handful of arfs. I just don't understand why the 4 star, being one of the best selling models in their history kit or arf is not available to purchase as an arf. Lets face it arfs are where the hobby is today. For whatever reason they don't have alot to offer in that dept. and kit builders are more scarce then ever. It seems hard for me to believe without more to offer in the arf line up that they are as secure as they once were.

I just don't want to in the near future have to buy a great planes 4 star 40 a sig classic reborn thanks to hobbico.

If you were the owner of Sig at Toledo wouldn't you also be optimistic to a potential customer?

Chris
Let's face this - ARFs must be built. And some kits just don't lend themselves to quick builds. ARFs also need cheap labor to build them and that usually means China - so you want the Sig designs to wind up in China?

Sig usually means low cost kits. There are so many ARFs out there let them stay low cost kits. As for the 4-Star just buy a Goldberg Tiger II or 60 ARF.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.