Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

New battery charger and Nicd batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

New battery charger and Nicd batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Neuhausr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery charger and Nicd batteries

I just received my new Hitec X1 battery charger and some new batteries for my plane and want to make sure that I charge and maintain them correctly.
I have read the owners manual for the charger and although I believe that I am of at least average intellegence I am struggling to set up my charger correctly based on the instructions included with the X1 and at all costs i don't want to revert to the wall wart.

My batteries are a 5 cell flatpack Nicd 6.0v 2400ma Sanyo CP-2400scr
Cell impedence is 4.5mOhms

I could just go the auto charge route on the charger but I would like to properly "formation charge" these batteries.
So I know that I need to charge at c/10 for approximately 14-16 hrs.
With that being said does anyone know what some of the other input values should be for these batteries when setting up a custom charge program?
I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks,

Rad
Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: New battery charger and Nicd batteries

The x-1 (if it is a peak detection charger) is not a good choice for formation or c/10 charges. You may try to fool or force it into doing that job, but the wall chargers are far better suited to do your first charge on the pack. I know you don't want to use the wall charger so this leaves with attempting to fool the charger into doing a c/10 charge for 15 hrs. There is no setting for that , but you can start out by running the peak detect at max value, disable the timer or set it to 990 minutes, capacity to 3.6 ah , peak delay at max value, and rate to 240 ma.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the charger you have?

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/cha...y-charger.html
Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 PM
P-40 DRIVER

check this out [link]http://www.siriuselectronics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=51&products_id=351[/link]
Old 07-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Neuhausr

Indeed it is.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Neuhausr

Indeed it is.
I have the Hitec X2 which is similar to yours and I will check the settings for NICAD.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:48 PM
rmkeyjr

I also just got a X1 Hitec from Tower. It took me a while to figure it out and I do like the software for PC. It works great except for one thing. It will not properly charge!! It will only charge at 1.0A no matter what you tell it either directly or through the software. Made two calls to Hitec and spent a couple hours and in the end they said they had seen the problem before. They dont know how to fix it. I told Towerhobbies and they said they were glad Hitec was working with me!! Now I am looking for another one from someother place. Maybe you will be lucky and get one without problems but if you get a dud -Hitec cant help and Tower isnt interested.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:21 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Neuhouser, for your first charge, it is hard to beat the old wall wart. Just plug it in and leave in on for at least 16 hours. You do not have to discharge before doing this. Your batteries will benefit from this forming charge (0.1C for 16 hours).. Even if you wind up using a different charger most of the time, your batteries will last longer if you do an occasional 16 hour charge at 0.1C.