Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM
SPEED51J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

I have built several of sig kits over the years and love every one of them. Its sad to see all the kit building going away. It used to be if you wanted to fly you had to build it.

Banshee C/L
Mustang Stunter C/L
Kadet
Kobra
King Kobra
Smith Mini Plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32719.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1784891  
Old 07-23-2012, 03:32 PM
gwweber
My Feedback: (24)

Would love to see this plane again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_RWJ_SDsYs
or this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...anXOFXwko&NR=1
Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
dodgers72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just placed my order for the Kavalier from Sig!! Some of the previous posts had it calling my name. From the instructions it seems to be kind of a vintage build. Now I get to see how it was back in the day, and have to say I'm looking forward to it! Any tips from seasoned Kavalier builders/flyers will be much appreciated. Who knows I may even start a build thread.

Chris
Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 PM
jpjamie

The Sig LT-40 is probably the best trainer out there.
Add Dubro main gear, Fults (new Scorpion) nose gear, aileron servos and you have a rugged and trusty club trainer.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Live Wire

I need a canopy for my SIG T-34 mentor At one time or another I have built most kits under the SIG name.
Larry K
Old 07-23-2012, 04:59 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It doesn't appear that Sig is being carried by any of the major online outlets. Is it being carried anywhere (at a discount, perhaps) or is it all factory direct?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Sig is one of the best kit designers I have ever seen.

I have owned or currently own from Sig:

Sundancer 50 bipe (lost in a midair last year 2011)
King Kobra Going through rework after the covering started falling off. Getting fiberglass and paint with retracts this time. A spare kit under the bed.
Multiple Kougars. 2 in service right now. One electric, one glow, Both fly great. And a spare kit under the bed.
Kadet Mark 1 long gone. Had in the 80's sold it to another guy to train on.
A Kobra kit. Waiting to be started.
Electric F190. It died a horrible death when the speed controller failed.

As long as they stay in business I will buy from them. I do not think they are in trouble. I think the arf's are not up to par and they refused them. Balsa is also in short supply at this time because of the large wind turbines using balsa in their blades.

A SS 90 with retracts is not to much for a King. I had SS90 in mine for a bit. Then a fox 74, finally put a Rossi 61 FIRE engine with tuned pipe. That give me what I really wanted for performance.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM
1Knoxville
My Feedback: (1)

Here is my Sig
Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I built and flew the 1/3scale Spacewalker. The kit was about average and the construction was not hard. But man-o-man did it fly well!

Name:	Pn37334.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1784985  
Old 07-23-2012, 06:06 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

It doesn't appear that Sig is being carried by any of the major online outlets. Is it being carried anywhere (at a discount, perhaps) or is it all factory direct?

Thanks,

Bob
AMR is selling the Sig line in Canada.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 PM
bipeguy03

I love Sig, but then again I love all kits . I have built the cub, a kobra, a cougar and my absolute favorite THE SKYBOLT!! I have another Skybolt kit o the wall for a rainy day, along with another cougar a kobra and a Smith Mini.. Always wanted a 1/3 scale Space Walker, and Ill have one someday.. Ive just been really deep into 100cc and 170cc planes right now.. But sig will always hold a spot in my heart and Ill keep buying them!!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 PM
wallace.tharp

I built the Astro Hog when it first came out. Flew great. The Sig P-51B is one of the best flying R/C aircraft I have ever owned. I'm guessing I have owned about 100. I wanted one all along when I saw them in the old RC Modeler and read how much everyone just loved the way they flew. I still have one in the Shangrila version with mechanical retacts and an Evolution 100. Just flys great and really slows down on landing with the big flaps. People just can't believe how stable it is in slow flight. I am looking for another one to do in electric. Let me know if someone has one NIB please. Even though I did not know them, Hazel Sig and Maxi Hester were HUGE in the success of Sig. Many in the old modeling community where everyone knew everyone said they were just great people!!!!! I called Sig just before they changed owners and asked bout ordering the P-51B ARF. The lady at Sig said they did not have any in stock and would probably not order any more because the Chinese manufacure of their kit was asking for more $$$. Get this for service, she gave me the PH # of 3 or 4 of their small hobby shops that she thought might have one still in stock. Bingo, scored my favorite ACFT! It was as couple of years back and the price was about $329.00. Bad news was the shipping was as I remember over a hun!!!! PS, the lady at Sig told me they would have to order kits and such by the thousands to get a reasonable pirce on them. Absolutly no small orders possible. Wallace Tharp
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: N1EDM
Do you mean "anywhere" as in online outlets? A lot of places carry Sig stuff, but they also have regular "dealers" as in your LHS. My LHS is a Sig dealer just like Great Planes or Horizon and he sells stuff at the same price as Sig. So I guess if you buy from your LHS you can support two American businesses "with one stone".

Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: RCER88

Balsa is also in short supply at this time because of the large wind turbines using balsa in their blades.
I keep hearing that, but I just don't buy it..... Every time you turn around you hear some "excuse" about why something is going up in price because of the "global economy"..... wind turbines have been around for a LONG time and IMO there has not been such a drastic increase in them ALL OF A SUDDEN that balsa has SUDDENLY shot up. Even if all the old ones needed repairs/replacement. Sooner or later, they'll find a way to make them with "artificial" products because we know that's always cheaper and they have to answer to stock-holders..... you think the price of balsa will come back down? I don't think so. Not unless people completely quit buying it and the growers are about to get the shaft.... then all of a sudden we'll see a renaissance and all of a sudden balsa will be back in "vogue" and the price will be rock bottom. Am I cynical? Why, yes I am, thank you.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Mr67Stang

I've built a few Sig kits and stockpiled a few others when the initial fear of demise came about. I frequently go back to the sigmfg site and have noted a slow but noticable recovery of product line. I am pulling for them and will continue to support with my bussiness and word of mouth advertising.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 AM
gluepicker

43 yrs. ago when I started modeling w/ my Dad , SIG balsa, glue, glow fuel, kits, etc. were the standard of the industry. One of our younger club members has an ARF Kadet Senior and large Rascal both EP. They both fly great! I wish the new owners the Best. Here's my SIG list: Buster & Shoestring C/L Goodyear racers, several Twister C/L profile Stunters, 2- Banshee C/L Stunters, Chipmunk & Akrobat C/L Stunters, Magnum C/L stunter( best I ever had, much better than my Noblers ) SIG Cub F/F rubber stick model, a George Perryman v-tail F/F rubber model I forget the name , Astro Hog, Colt, King Kobra among others. TONS of scratch built models using SIG wood. Hazel Sig is a modeling icon. At her and Maxey's c/l event in the early '90's, we got the tour of the "shop" and their new at the time lazer cutting machine. At the free bean supper Hazel mingled with all of the modelers and seemed to thoroughly enjoy herself. Maxey Hester and Claude McCollough were a couple of excellent designers and Mike Stott and Mike Gretz designed and flew Sig's C/L stunters and Scale competitively. Great thread here. What a trip down memory lane!
Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 AM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

the way it works with off shore manufacturing is, quite frankly, the guys with the biggest orders (and deepest pockets) go to the front of the line and others wait. Likely the same thing Dave Patrick experienced a few years back, excellent product.....but...well you know the rest.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Nutz4flying

SIG kits are the best. You can trust their quality and depend on clear instructions. The Somethin' Extra is my favorite - easy build and outstanding in the air!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

I wish SIG the best moving forward and even hoping that more companies like SIG could be coming along. I am sure it is going to be a tight haul. It is hard for companies here to compete in the global markets now days since we don't have the cheap labor and our government does absolutely nothing for US businesses to succeed. When I think of our current administration it almost makes me hurl.

Maybe one day, if I ever make it to retire, I will look for a SIG kit and build it if I find a kit that appeals to me. From reading the posts it seems SIG makes some quality kits.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 AM
CellTech

My preference would be to see the Barfs go the way of the Dodo. At least the government needs to attach Tarrifs of a couple hundred percent to the Chinese garbage being flooded into America.
I would build a Rascal 110 if Sign should ever produce it or the plans.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 AM
wallace.tharp

Luchnia, my view almost exactly. We are not suppose to get political, so I will not. It's a different world, WSJ today, China is buying out a huge Canadian oil & gas operation. We all like to sing the LHS song, but when It comes to shelling out the "long Green," another story. My 5S, 5000ma Turnigy Nano-Techs Lipos cost $78 at HK and TWR HOB's cheapest similasr is about $180. Go figer? What is a model airplane boy to do? I love Precision Aerobatics and I believe they are Australian. If you have not tried one of their planes, I love the Extra-260, you should! They are expenssive but they fly like a 6 foot wingspan model. No I do not work for them. Wallace Tharp
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM
bipeflr
My Feedback: (8)

Flew my Rascal 110 ARF today for first time. Powered with a SYSSA 30 cc gas. Great combo, with the rear intake and exhaust it fits neatly in cowl. Great flying model and the arf is the best quality I have found and the price is the higest. I'm sure its chinese though. Bought it from my local HS but had to special order it. Something about short discount to dealers..... just my .02 Thanks Jim
Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jeff Foley

ORIGINAL: dodgers72

There seems to be a lot of talk about the kavalier. I'm kinda leaning towards it, especially since I was born and raised in Virginia. A good UVA cavalier scheme would be a perfect!!
I can tell you an interesting story about the Kavalier....

I worked at Sig from 1976 to 1978 as a product engineer. Did a little of everything....dies, molds, plans, instruction books etc. When Claude McCullough (a real modeler's modeler) designed the Kavalier, he built a superb prototype with a nice paint job for photos and to get in some test flying. Claude and I were the only two at Sig who flew mode 2.....everyone else flew mode 1 because of the influence of reeds. Now...Claude could fly okay, but he wasn't always comfortable behind the sticks. Since I was young, stupid and fearless...he elected me to do his flying for him. We went out to Sig field on a bright sunny Iowa day with the big puffy clouds hanging around. This was Claudes favorite type of day to take photos. After what seemed like a long long period of Claude snapping away trying to get that perfect box top photo...we were ready to fly. I fueled it up, took off, and after about two clicks of right aileron trim and one of up elevator it was flying perfect. I tried a couple of rolls....perfect. Rolled inverted for a couple of laps....perfect. Ailerons and elevator felt balanced and even did a little slow flight with no problems. Then I tried a loop. It tracked well, wings perfectly level, up and over the top and down the backside....thats when it happened, a sudden pitch up that was very violent (and unexpected!) It only lasted a split second and then back to normal flight. I tried again...same result. At first I thought it was radio hit...but it did it twice more in the same spot. Puzzled...Claude said land it and we checked linkages, servo and every other thing we could think of...but all looked normal. After sitting there beside the model and studying it for a while...it dawned on me what was happening. When Claude was shooting pictures, he only put four #64 rubber bands on the wing because he thought they were ugly. And he didn't add any more! Every time I came down the backside of a loop, the front of the wing would raise up...stetching the rubber bands and then pop back down in place! After about eight more #64's were put on...all was normal.

Jeff Foley
Product Engineer
Sig Mfg. (1976-1978)
Jeff, Does the Caviler and the Commander have the same roots? The Commander was my first plane with a "new" generation McCoy 40 in it. It was the plain bearing with the finned case. I remember our club used to take an annual trip to Sig every year with our local dealer. We would pick up fuel, kits, balsa wood and anything else we could get our grubby hands on. Almost forgot the factory tours. That was a lot of fun. It was amazing watching the gals pack kits in boxes. I never could get it all the kit back in the box it came out of!!

Thanks

Ken
Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM
CanDo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2nd kit was a Mid-Star 40, next a 4-Star 40, then an Astro Hog. All were good kits to build and fun to fly, but the Astro Hog made me smile every time I flew it! I was hooked on Sig kits. I'm still enjoying my Seniorita night flier!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Spraytec
My Feedback: (18)

[img][/img]My Four Star

Name:	Ge95415.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1785529  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.