Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

25cc Homelite short-shaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Ozpulse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25cc Homelite short-shaft

A couple of pics. of this one I've started converting.
I will be running the stock ignition so I have lightened the flywheel and also spun up a prop hub for it, I have cleaned and bead blasted the case and jug ready for some high temp. paint!
Not sure on what mods I will do to the head as far as porting etc. goes before bolting it all back together, any one have any suggestions on good mods/timing etc. they want to share it would be appreciated greatly and taken on board!

PICS.

Old prop was just for measuring the diam. of the hub etc. so dont worry it wont be used! LOL

Bottom end bolted to the engine mount and sitting on what it will be soon powering!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 25cc Homelite short-shaft

Looks great!

Look here for some interesting info: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...tm.htm#2621860

150 degree exhaust timing works well. Send your piston and cylinder to Frank Bowman. He will put a pin in the piston ring land, and make a custom high quality ring for it. Then you can grind the exhaust port out and gain a good bit of power. You want a 11mm venturi twin adjustment needle carb, and the exhaust as open as possible.

The 30cc Homelite is identical on the exterior to the 25, but has 30cc and more power. (It actually weighs an ounce or two less.) It also does not have the bridged exhaust port. They are often found in leaf blowers and on newer Ryobi string trimmers..

AV8TOR
Old 07-25-2012, 01:10 PM
mjcelli
My Feedback: (14)

Ozpulse Where did you get the 'hollowed out" prop nut?? Or did you fabricate it yourself? I could something like that for my
25cc poulan conversion!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Ozpulse

Cheers AV8TOR, wasnt sure on the best timing for air prop use as I've mainly modded the Homies for water propped boats.
I will only be running a 15 or 16 inch prop though and hopefully getting the revs up there.

Hey mjcelli, I made this whole prop hub myself as I cant get them locally.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:27 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: mjcelli

Ozpulse Where did you get the 'hollowed out" prop nut?? Or did you fabricate it yourself? I could something like that for my
25cc poulan conversion!
Years ago, the hollowed out prop nut was a common trick for converting the Homelite 25 & 30.

The nut comes from the weed whacker itself. It is the flywheel retaining nut/combination drive shaft connector that comes on the weed whacker. It is a nut with a long externally round extension that is square on the inside for driving the original flex shaft.

You take the existing nut, run a tap drill through the square drive portion and then a 5/16-24 tap piloted by the original threads.

Then you turn the nut around with the hex portion to the outside. You may have to shorten the nut for proper length? Get a large diameter fender washer from the hardware and drill it out if necessary for the home made barrel nut to be a prop washer.

People used this homemade barrel nut to retain both the flywheel and the prop. They faced the front of the flywheel and mounted the prop right against the flywheel with no extension.

Over the many years I have seen many different crazy ways to get the job done.