Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

launching a ZAGI

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
snobelt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default launching a ZAGI

I would like a few thoughts on how to launch a ZAGI - by myself. I can launch it but by the time I get to the controller, the ZAGI XS has landed. Usually nose first. I took extreme care in balancing it - exactly 8" back from the nose. Today, after five tries, I finally got to the power-up point and it seemed to be lifting. At that very moment I saw the prop fly off into two foot grass - bye bye prop and spinner. Those are replacable but I am still sure I'm launching this wrong. A bit of advise would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: launching a ZAGI

snobelt,

if i am reading this right it sounds like you are launching it and THEN giving it throttle ?? if thats what you are doing then that is your problem. you should have the power on before you launch it. and make sure you are launching into the wind also.

as for launching it, power it up and then give it a good toss straight and very slight up angle. it takes practice so keep going till ya get it .

we had a guy at our club who also flew on and would launch it like a frisbee, grabbing it by the wing and kind of throw it like a frisbee was fun to watch him launch it

bassman
Old 08-02-2008, 04:03 PM
snobelt

bassmanh - I understand what you are saying and that is my inclination too but the instruction manual specifically says "do not launch it powered up" - they are concerned with safety (prop cuts) - then they go into how to launch it unpowered but you are supposed to have enough glide time to get to the transmitter, which I almost never do. Anyway, I may just give powered up launches a try cause my current method isn't working. Say a prayer for my fingers
Thanks for the reply
Old 08-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: snobelt

I would like a few thoughts on how to launch a ZAGI - by myself. I can launch it but by the time I get to the controller, the ZAGI XS has landed. Usually nose first. I took extreme care in balancing it - exactly 8" back from the nose. Today, after five tries, I finally got to the power-up point and it seemed to be lifting. At that very moment I saw the prop fly off into two foot grass - bye bye prop and spinner. Those are replacable but I am still sure I'm launching this wrong. A bit of advise would be appreciated.
Thanks.
I put two finger holes in the bottom. Used small plastic chair tips about 3/4 inch in diameter epoxied in place. Keeps you fingers way away from the prop.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18738.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1002719  
Old 08-03-2008, 10:27 AM
whitecrest

If you are not using one, you may find a neck strap for the transmitter helpful for hand launching. It allows you to easily advance the throttle with one hand while you hold the model with the other. Also, you may find that taking a few running steps before releasing makes for easier and more consistent hand launches. By increasing the initial flight speed in this way, you won't need full throttle to make a successful launch (you'll have much more time to increase power if you need to), and things are less likely to get out of hand before you reach a safe altitude.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Arkitexas

Here is the overhand launch that can be used with full throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkIPR...eature=related

Rick
Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 PM
snobelt

ORIGINAL: bassmanh

snobelt,

if i am reading this right it sounds like you are launching it and THEN giving it throttle ?? if thats what you are doing then that is your problem. you should have the power on before you launch it. and make sure you are launching into the wind also.

as for launching it, power it up and then give it a good toss straight and very slight up angle. it takes practice so keep going till ya get it .

we had a guy at our club who also flew on and would launch it like a frisbee, grabbing it by the wing and kind of throw it like a frisbee was fun to watch him launch it

bassman
Okay Bassmanh - I did what you suggested. It took two attempts but I got it in the air with all fingers intact. It was the right thing to do too. I managed three flights before the battery gave up. Thanks.
Snobelt
Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best way I've found is to ask somebody else to launch it and assure them I won't turn the motor on until it has left their hand. If I ever get brave I will try holding the left wing leading edge with my left hand with the motor at full throttle. I like the transmitter neck strap idea.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:31 AM
startazz

I had people tell me i shouldn't hand launch my old PZ stryker with the power on but thats the way i found to be the easiest for me so thats what i stuck with,also if you hold the left wing at the edge and give it a good old launch works well for me on some of my planes that you can't get to grips with,try looking on youtube as there are loads of videos on there with some people only to kind enough to show you how to hand launch wings,some good but also some bad you will have to make up your own mind which is which in some cases.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 AM
ejc34710

After breaking my knuckle and gettin 5 deep cuts to my hand, i will never launch my wings anymore overhand with the power on. I started throwing mine like a frisbee with the power on and have been good since.