Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Non-OS engines

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Non-OS engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:25 PM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Non-OS engines

ORIGINAL: ameyam

No, I didnt say all OS were bad, just the few I has somehow. By the way, both the 55s did a year of flying befor they went bad. The 75 started troubling in a few months.

That purple discolouration on the piston skirt is a camera artifact. Actually, the piston skirt and rest of the piston is dull gray, not shiny gray, which I think is to be expected. The scoring is only on the exhaust port side, thats where its deep

Ameyam
I'm beginning to wonder about the 75AX. A friend of mine just put one in a Revolver and we took it out to the field. About 6 of us have tried to get the engine to run right to no avail. Most are very experienced engine people. After about 2 hours of fiddling he managed to get it in the air and after about 3 mnutes of flight the engine flamed out. Unfortunately the plane was not in a good position and this cause total loss of the plane. The plane has been replaced but now we're all wondering whether he should return the engine for a replacement. Yes the fuel was new and the glow plug(s) were new.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 PM
ameyam

well, mine did fly a few months. I am going to test the 75 as soon as I can get back to the field.I have already done all that I can to get it working, So if it doesn't work now, I may as well buy a new engine

ameyam
Old 07-28-2012, 11:52 AM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ameyam, I went back and looked at your pictures of the piston again. There could be one or more of several problems causing the buildup that is shown.

Your best bet would be to post in the OS engine support column and see what they have to say.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

ORIGINAL: ameyam

No, I didnt say all OS were bad, just the few I has somehow. By the way, both the 55s did a year of flying befor they went bad. The 75 started troubling in a few months.

That purple discolouration on the piston skirt is a camera artifact. Actually, the piston skirt and rest of the piston is dull gray, not shiny gray, which I think is to be expected. The scoring is only on the exhaust port side, thats where its deep

Ameyam
I'm beginning to wonder about the 75AX. A friend of mine just put one in a Revolver and we took it out to the field. About 6 of us have tried to get the engine to run right to no avail. Most are very experienced engine people. After about 2 hours of fiddling he managed to get it in the air and after about 3 mnutes of flight the engine flamed out. Unfortunately the plane was not in a good position and this cause total loss of the plane. The plane has been replaced but now we're all wondering whether he should return the engine for a replacement. Yes the fuel was new and the glow plug(s) were new.
When I was just learning the in and out of engines I choose to only have one instructor, more then one and therre was always a problem, 6??? Ever think it could be a problem with the planes set up instead of the engine? Things like this just makes me wonder.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:12 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oldtyme

In all fairness since tuning by the bench commitee seldom acheves much joy and just two runs on a brand new engine, One just has to ask the Obvious question and that simply is did any single one of those six realize that this was an AX engine? And that all AX's except the old .46AX utilise a completely different carburation system. This with the mid range or low range needle whatever you care to call it in a completely different location on the left side of the engine in the end of the fuel inlet cone.

I have seen bench commitees experts repetedly stick a screw driver in the end of the throttle
barrel thanking they had actually adjusted the mid/low range while in fact accompishing nothing.

John
Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 PM
oldtyme

John,

The low end mixture is in the same location as all of my FX's. We all know what it looks like and how it operates. Take a look at the manual if you need to. None of us are new at this.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 PM
ameyam

I can probably understand jrcaster's problem. - you are fairly new to adjusting engines and not sure whether what you are doing is right or wrong. so, rather than damage it, you take the engine to the club member you feel is most knowledgeable. through whatever reason, that member is unable to tune it or keep it running, he then terms it a lemon. then another says he would like to try and has the same thing happen, then another and so on. sometimes club politics gets involved with members calling each other names or commercial issues start to get involved. somewhere along the way you start believing that the engine is faulty or it really does get damaged along the way. much later you feel it was better you did it yourself and so you end up where you started but with a lot less reliable / more difficult engine- atleast that's what happened in my case.

you guys in the US have the advantage of hobby support. we need to be self sufficient. even something as small as prop locknuts are to be custom made. and while most of you have garage workshops to do your building / testing, we don't. for example, when I built my us40, I had to try and build entire sections in a day because at the end of it, I had to store all the stuff and building board away as the same space was required for sleeping at night. the hobby is difficult for us and getting service or replacement parts expensive. that's why we have fewer chances to make mistakes and consequently the need to get help from more experienced members is more. sometimes this leads to committes or misguidance.

ameyam
Old 07-29-2012, 04:51 AM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

John,

The low end mixture is in the same location as all of my FX's. We all know what it looks like and how it operates. Take a look at the manual if you need to. None of us are new at this.

Actually I have read my manuals (all of them) and I actually do own multiples of the AX's including the `.25, .35, .55, .65 and one .95AX. All have the new carb system. Further one only has to look the 75AX up and its clear that agine its the same new carb.

Once agine the only AX that had the old double needle in the throttle barrel is the .46AX and as a matter of fact there is a new Series 11 .46 not quite released yet that will be the same as all the other AX's with the new carb.

I am not new at this either and I actually do own many of the series engine in question and once agine the low/mid range screw is decidely not where it is on any FX engine, In fact its on the opposite side of the carb from where the bench crowd always expects it to be.

There is no doubt in my mind that this fellow with all the 'bad luck' with a brand new .75 AX actually was caused by bad advise from the bench crowd.

John
Old 07-29-2012, 10:00 AM
oldtyme

OK Straight from the 75AX Manual

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22334.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1787241  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:38 AM
JohnBuckner

Your manual attachment is correct and notice the mid/low range is on the left side of the engine on the fuel inlet cone and it is not on the right side of the the engine in the throttle barrel/throttle arm such as it is on all the FX engines and that is what you implied earlier.

There is no comparison to the FX carbs that you suggested and I have repeatedly watched folks stick a screw driver in the throttle barrel thinking they were adjusting the mid/low range.

This simple error that is common with bench committees needs to be pointed out and cleared up before suggesting someone has a defective engine and needs to be sent back after only two runs or whatever you orginally posted.

John

Old 07-29-2012, 11:07 AM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Your manual attachment is correct and notice the mid/low range is on the left side of the engine on the fuel inlet cone and it is not on the right side of the the engine in the throttle barrel/throttle arm such as it is on all the FX engines and that is what you implied earlier.

There is no comparison to the FX carbs that you suggested and I have repeatedly watched folks stick a screw driver in the throttle barrel thinking they were adjusting the mid/low range.

This simple error that is common with bench committees needs to be pointed out and cleared up before suggesting someone has a defective engine and needs to be sent back after only two runs or whatever you orginally posted.

John

John............I don't know what you are talking about............I am staring at 2 91FX engines and the mid/low range adjustments are in the exact same place as the 75AX and I also find it very demeaning that you keep referring to "bench committees" Some of you sefl-proclaimed "experts" should refrain from talking without thinking.