Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Aeroworks profile

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:14 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks profile

Good idea Dave. Mine was ballooning up some and I moved the CG up forward more and it fixed it. I'm going to check the alerons with a rubber band too. Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:13 AM
slabhead

ORIGINAL: Wingspam

I needed a replacement for my OMP 40 size yak and the Extra 260 looked like it would fit the bill. I placed my order from Aeroworks on Monday and 4 days later there it was sitting on my porch begging to be assembled.
From my OMP yak, I had left an Os 55ax, battery, rec., 4 hitec 645 mg servos. All I needed was a mini servo for the throttle (Died in the crash). So after a trip to the LHS I started on my new plane.

I gently ripped open the box and inspected the contents, it was packed very well and I found no damage anywhere. There where quiet a few wrinkles over the entire plane, so about an hour later it was about 99% wrinkle free. Pretty much followed the instructions as they are written and had no problem putting everything togather. I am not real thrilled with having only 1 bolt to hold the wings togather, but what can you do. I used all the supplied hardware except the tail wheel, (I had a sullivan left over from the OMP crash) so I used it instead. If I had to point out 1 thing I absolutely did not like about this plane, it would be how the wire from the throttle is ran under the outside of the wing. (Why not make a channel for it like the rest of the wires?)

Now its time to balance the plane, at the recommended cg of 4 1/8'' the plane balanced tail heavy. I had to add 4oz to nose and half an oz for latteral balance. Total build time was around 6 hours so not too bad.

For the maiden I put on the side force generators, since I have never had a plane with them. I taxied out on the field, lined it up and away it went. I immediatley had to add 8 clicks of up elevator to level out the nose, lateral balance was perfect. Made a few passes and landed to remove 2 of the 1/4 oz weights, took off again and was expecting to adjust the elevator trim but it didn't change. So next time out I will take another 1/2 oz off to see if it makes a difference in trim.
When it come to the landing characteristics of this plane, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. As I made my landing call I started a new pass and was bleeding of speed, as i lined up with the runway and continued to drop the throttle the nose started to rise higher and higher at 1 point it was not making anymore forward progress. It almost appeared to come to a full stop with the nose pointing up about 45 degrees. I Throttled up and went around again, this time I kept a little more throttle as I came in, the nose still rose up but not quite as bad and it made a perfect 3 point landing.
I made 4 flights on it today and plan on going out again tomorrow, so if you have any suggestions for the couple of problems I encountered I would be very thankful.

Guy in our club had a similar issue, he build the 60-90 size, with the OS 75AX, balanced it at recommended cg, needed 4oz in the tail. First couple of flights the plane flew okay, but did not want to land too easily. Turned out he need to remove all the weight in the tail and add 2oz to the nose, after the weight shift it flew and landed great. Could AW be off on there recommended cg points for these planes? just a thought...
Old 10-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Wingspam

ORIGINAL: Wingspam

Reported my finding to Aeroworks and they replied:

It sounds like your ailerons may not be perfectly centered, with the SFG bolted in place to the trailing edges of the ailerons line up with the center of the SFG? If the ailerons are in a down position it can cause the characteristics you are describing.
Mark Dennis
Aeroworks Tech Support
Aeroworks, Inc.
4903 Nome Street
Denver, CO 80239
303-371-4222 ext. 105 - Phone
303-371-4320 - Fax

It's been too windy to try his suggestion, so hopefully this weekend will be better
Went to the field today and adjusted my ailerons, since I am using the SFG's I centered the ailerons on the center make of the SFG's and like magic the balloning when landing went away. (This was a suggetion from Aeroworks).
I was also able to take off all but a 1/2 oz of weight on the nose and 1/4 oz for lateral balance, now the plane fly's like I thought it should. After taking off so much weight I was expecting my elevator trim to change, but it did not I am still flying with the same amount of up trim I had with all the extra weight on it. But it does fly a whole lot better.

4 flight's today 3 of them being a 3 point landing..
Old 10-16-2010, 09:59 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

You might check the up/down thrust on your engine. It can be eye balled most of the time. Take a yard stick and line it up with the center of the glow plug and prop shaft. See if it runs parallel to the fuse. It's easy to get the up/down thrust a little off on a profile.

David
Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Ernie Misner

How's everyone doing with their ProX260 profiles by now that the honeymoon is over. They don't seem to be too popular with the 3D Bros I think because of the weight. Oh well, mine (both sizes) have been sitting in the box...... finally got the smaller one allmost built and have a YS 70 for it. How's that for power?

Ernie
Old 06-03-2012, 04:00 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IT LOOKS LIKE THIS THREAD ID STUCK IN A TIME WARP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Ernie Misner

Mine's doin' great with the YS 70 and 14x4W prop. Tons of power and it flat spins pretty good now with the CG back a bit and more throw on the elevator!

Ernie
Old 06-04-2012, 07:56 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Mine's doin' great with the YS 70 and 14x4W prop. Tons of power and it flat spins pretty good now with the CG back a bit and more throw on the elevator!

Ernie
Will it flat spin better with the side force generators off ??? Just curious. Capt,n
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Ernie Misner

Good question John. I've just been getting it dialed in real nice with them on and the engine broken in good so far. Will definitely have to try that though.

Ernie Misner
Old 06-05-2012, 12:25 PM
captinjohn

I have a Carl Goldberg Extreme 330 with a .51 Como Tiger on it. I could get the thing to climb in a flat spin. If I tried to climb to fast...it would roll out of the flat spin. Anyway it sure was fun! Still have the thing 5-6 years now. Capt,n
Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: daveopam

You might check the up/down thrust on your engine. It can be eye balled most of the time. Take a yard stick and line it up with the center of the glow plug and prop shaft. See if it runs parallel to the fuse. It's easy to get the up/down thrust a little off on a profile.

David
David, If you check the engine thrust line and find it upwards...what does that cause? Likewise, if you find it downward...what does that cause? I would like to get it right as I mount the engine, as I am putting the ARF together now. Thanks John
Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Ernie Misner

Hey John, did you get the small Prox260, the big one, or? Which engine you going with?

If there is unwanted up thrust you will be flying around with a bit of down elevator. Then when you chop the throttle the plane will tend to dive a bit.

Down thrust is just the opposite. The plane will tend to balloon up when you chop the throttle.

Ernie Misner
Old 06-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Ernie Misner

Hey John, did you get the small Prox260, the big one, or? Which engine you going with?

If there is unwanted up thrust you will be flying around with a bit of down elevator. Then when you chop the throttle the plane will tend to dive a bit.

Down thrust is just the opposite. The plane will tend to balloon up when you chop the throttle.

Ernie Misner
Old 06-09-2012, 06:38 AM
captinjohn

Ernie Misner
I got the big ProX260 and I am going to use a Mintor 22cc engine. I am breaking in the engine on a test stand ( a few cold start ups)...its a good way to learn the engines habits. Man does it run nice! Capt,n
Old 06-10-2012, 04:12 PM
captinjohn

Ernie Misner
In that view in photo....is that a snow covered moutain? Is that the Valley View RC Field? Capt,n
Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM
captinjohn

Must be this airplane is not too popular, not many postings done in this thread. Maybe some other forum...I don,t know what the final verdict will be. From what I see the airplane is too short coupled and causes the thing to be kinda jumpy or touchy on landings. I see some props get broken already on landings. I have a Carl Goldberg Extreme 330 Profile I have had for over 5 years. It is fun but, has it quirks because it isshort coupled too. That is the problem with profile planes....if you try to design a longer fuse....it sure as heck is going too be tail heavy.
I have just kinda lost interest in getting the thing in the air. Things started out bad...when the stupid wings would not line up to plug the wing together ino fuse. Well a lot of calls to Aeroworks, I finally got some idea how to fix the thing. If I had it too do over ...I would have sent it back for a refund. No cigar for this airplane. Maybea match..................................
Old 07-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Ernie Misner

Hey John, actually that's a white cloud in the background, not a mountain. We are close to Mt. Rainier though and from a different field it IS in the background, almost in the forground.

Wierd about your wings not lining up right. You should get it going though, they are a lot of fun. Don't worry if it's a little heavier than some, still a floater with that big fat wing. My smaller one with the YS 70 is a blast.

Ernie
Old 07-28-2012, 07:23 PM
captinjohn

well its 4 days later today.....still not anything new on the 260 Profile airplanes.....whats -up????
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Ernie Misner

We're waiting for you John. Do you have parts coming or just need to fix that wing setup yerself?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:54 AM
steinywi

Here is one with a Mintor 22 on it. First three flights on it yesterday! Running a Fromeco 2600 batt, Sahara regulator and a Aero-tech IBEC.
It came in at 7lbs 12oz.
When the motor is broke in, it should be a blast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57736.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1787211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49139.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1787212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95188.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1787213  
Old 07-29-2012, 12:18 PM
captinjohn

Looks good....I got the same Airplane & engine. Few more things to do....then I can fly it.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:27 PM
captinjohn

Ernie...I fixed the wing problem myself. It was really hard to find a a small gas tank for it. So I went to Wally World & bought a container of Purell Germ killer for hands. It is in the photo below ....second one down and is 12 oz.I added a aluminum ring on the neck like some of the other tanks on the market. It does not allow the neck to expand when you tighten the stopper. Also prevents splitting. The bottom tank is a 8 oz Du-Bro. I like my home made tank real well. I used fuel barbs and a filter clunk inside. I think it will work fine. Capt,n

We're waiting for you John. Do you have parts coming or just need to fix that wing setup yerself?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53278.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1787260  
Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Ernie Misner

Looks great John. Can regular glow tanks be used with a gas stopper in 'em?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM
captinjohn

Looks great John. Can regular glow tanks be used with a gas stopper in 'em?

Thanks,

Ernie
Yes the glow tanks can be used for gas. You can get a converion stoppers from Tower H. It is made by Du-Bro. The Tygon fuel line I just got from them feels kinda stiff. Also forget about Hayes Neopreme from Tower....it went bad right away. They replaced it, but heck.....I am not going to use it. As I look around this hobby room of mine....its kinda scarey looking at a lot of items $$$$ and a lot of it is way over-priced.

One thing I am going too try is use some of the wing sets I bought in a package deal at a swap meet...is too copy the way AW did the 260 profile. Make hatches in top of wings and set the wings up too bolt on too a fuse of my own design. That way I can install the inards where I want. Good winter project.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

One thing I am going too try is use some of the wing sets I bought in a package deal at a swap meet...is too copy the way AW did the 260 profile. Make hatches in top of wings and set the wings up too bolt on too a fuse of my own design. That way I can install the inards where I want. Good winter project. [img][/img]
Yup, I think I'm going to build a kit as well this winter. Then when I beak something, hopefully I won't need to be too concerned about replacement part availability. My plane has taught me a ton, but I'm thoroughly disappointed OMP has dropped the 67" Fusion. If I had ANY idea that it was not going to be permanently stocked for a while, there's no way I would have bought one! Also, I've managed to break the fuse in half behind the wing twice now. If I had known how easily that was accomplished I wouldn't have bought one for that reason as well!

Current thinking is the Mojo 65 as I like the idea of the stability offered by a longer tail moment as well. Though that won't be a done deal until I place the order. The length is what drew me to the Fusion. Have some ideas of my own, mostly beefing the engine mount area, and what seems to be the other tender spot, right behind the wing. Like the option of possibly making the control surfaces a little smaller as well. Doubt all out 3D is ever going to be attainable by somebody my age (not that I don't enjoy thrashing about though!). I just don't think I need control surfaces that big? Rather trade them for a little more forgiveness on my down lines...

Anyway, the Fusion uses the door setup in one wing. The screw goes through the fuse from that side, into a tee nut in the other wing. No need for a second door? Not for a wing bolt anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.