Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

going elec need advice

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

going elec need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:00 AM
ken graham
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going elec need advice

ok i have a yellow aircraft f-18 single. i fly off of grass runway so turbine is out of the question. after ditching the jet in the bean field twice in one day on glow fuel, i'm going to go the elec route. i do have two fans for the os 91, just looking for alot of advice on a good/ great setup. went to the bvm site very nice stuff and is in the price range that i'm willing to spend. are there any set ups for using the fans from the os 91 system?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Crash-RCU

Default RE: going elec need advice

Over at rcgroups I think you will find more electric info on edf and your f18 [link]http://rcgroups.com/electric-ducted-fan-jet-talk-12/[/link]
Old 07-29-2012, 07:12 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

take a look at these.

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/pr...?prod=XPS-FAN2

pretty much a drop in for the yellow 18.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:55 AM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The F-18 will probably fly with as small as a 90 if light enough. I have a converted Dynamax-Scorpion in mine. There are a myriad of choices,but keep it as light as possible. Depending on your budget, if you fans are Dynamax's you can convert them or go to a prebuilt system such as Stumax or TamJets. XPS by all accounts is rather heavy for this application. What ever your choice is you will probably be 10-12s so figure about four pounds of batteries.
John
Old 08-04-2012, 07:44 AM
speed is life

Any previous high power electric experience? I ask because 90mm 4000+ watts in a larger modelis really pushing the capability of the power system compaired to 100mm and larger.
Pretty specialized application but works great for those experienced with it.
iMO the sweet spot power-weight would be 100mm, 110mm or light weight 120mm. The 127mm size can bulk up pretty fast.....

If you are truly into a turnkey solution you can't go wrong with a BVM.........just some duct mods.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:30 PM
ken graham
My Feedback: (10)

not much experince with bigger elec just the small stuff. would like to use my old dynamax fans if i could.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:44 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

ahh......switching from glow to electric! rcg edf forum will have lots of good intel for you. I went from glow to electric years ago and never looked back. ;-)
Old 08-05-2012, 10:57 AM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There are several inexpensive conversions for Dynamax fans and sevaral not so inexpensive ones as well. EJF has an adapter plate for about $60 which will allow the attachment of outrunners and inrunners. Mostly I have seen outrunners used, but there seem to be some "new kids" on the block so the motor choice is constantly evolving. A prop adapter and maybe a standoff and you're in business. You use the shroud and impeller from your existing fan. There are several threads on the Groups on conversions, or ask around if you're ready. Someone will chime in.
John