Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

RealFlight model editor?

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

RealFlight model editor?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 AM
DCSouthwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RealFlight model editor?

I've got RealFlight G5.5 and had a few questions about the ability to edit models. I tried changing the engine type on a 182 Cessna to electric but it didn't have enough power to even takeoff. I didn't see any place to change the engine dynamics. Also, the engine was silent at idol but still sounds like a gas engine when throttling up. I guess this also would be part of editing engine dynamics.

I guess my big question is, is there a 3rd party editor for the RealFlight models? Does RealFlight make an editor?

Thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 05:35 AM
jzrf6c

Default RE: RealFlight model editor?

You can do all you asked for in the RF editor. You just need to know how. If you have questions call their support. I found them very helpful.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 AM
DCSouthwind

Thanks jzrf6c,

I'll give them a call. I looked the RF editor over at lunch but still only saw the option to change the motor to electric no specifics to change the power/torque
Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 AM
opjose

With electric motors in the sim you do not change torque curves, as you do with glow / gas engines.

Instead you change the motor specifications and the supplied voltage.

You can "copy" any existing motor definition to another name, to use that as a starting point.

Save the copy under a new name and edit the copy accordingly.

To get more "power" ( this is a misnomer since power is determined by the PROP not the motor when you are dealing with electrics... ) out of the motor you can drop it's resistance. That causes the sim to see this as increased efficiency.

Depending on the motor size, this may result in either a dramatic change or no change at all.

So you are best off increasing the voltage ( available battery packs cell count ) or change the KV or prop.

If you change the KV you'll get seemingly more power, but you'll get an inaccurate rendition of a particular motor if you go outside the real motor's specs.

Note: Novices to electrics mistakingly believe KV somehow reflects the power output of the motor, when that is completely incorrect.

I'd advise you to utilize values for "new" motors that exactly match manufacturer specs. If you do this the simulation will accurately reflect the performance of the real plane... and like the real plane you'll find your only recourse is to change the prop or increase voltage.

Unfortunately the simulator does NOT emulate the detrimental effects of increased voltage or too big of a prop...

e.g. the ESC does not burn out, the motor does not overheat, the batteries don't puff out, etc.

So you can increase voltage to your heart's content or change the KV rating at will in the sim, and the plane will just seem more powerful.

In real life your electronics will just burn out....