Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Need Help with Electric..

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Need Help with Electric..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:35 PM
wilsonreef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Electric..

I have a mono hull that had a nitro motor in it at one time. I took the built in motor mounts out, and put in stringers. This boat is a build my 16 year old son is doing but we need some help.

1. Can anyone give some insight as to how to mount the motor in the hull?

2. How do we connect the motor with the flex drive?

I'm sure there will be other questions, but for now this will get us started.

The motor is a Losi (out of a Losi short course truck) and the ESC is out of the same truck. Both are new, we just bought it when the guy that owned the truck upgraded.

Thanks for your help

Carl
Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 PM
diy-pro

Default RE: Need Help with Electric..

depending on the size of the motor shaft and your flex drive and what setup you have with the stringers i would check these out>

def look into a water cooling jacket so you dont burn the motor up and if your a diy kinda guy watercool the esc i can give you some ideas if you post pics of your setup

Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 AM
NobodyFamous

motor mounts -http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=43 or you can build your own
couplers and flex shafts -http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=Motor+Couplers
here is a thread about my Nitro V to electric swap. It is my old faithful, I just throw it in the water and go, no issues. And I get 15-20 minute run times.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9982389/anchors_9982389/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9982389
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 PM
wilsonreef

Thanks for the replies, guys...I will post pics after we get a little farther along...

Carl
Old 08-01-2012, 03:32 AM
siberianhusky

SHop at OSE, you're getting customer service, a guy who stands behind what he sells. Somebody who really knows boats and can properly answer your questions. And the big one is he's a reputable company that has been around and serving the top racers in the states for years. Has everything you need in one stop.
He sells top quality stuff.
There have been many, many horror stories about people getting burned by E*** "stores" I don't even look there for RC stuff.
There are currently some management changes going on a FighterCat racing, I'd avoid them for a couple weeks until things get straightened out.
Kinetec Racing is another place to buy from, bought from Jan a couple times, fast shipping and the orders were correct.
Zippkits is another good place for some stuff, Joe is a stand up guy. Bought all my rigger hardware there.
This is my list of people I'll buy from. I avoid the fly by nighters like the plague. Haven't ordered from HobbyKrap for a long while, quality is hit and miss there, if you get something bad right out of the box you'd better be ready to eat it and order another. Customer service is an alien concept to them. If they do agree to replace something you're on the hook for all the return shipping which always seems to cost more than the part is worth!
(LOL Bring on the stories about how great HK is! I know the shills will be all over this!)
Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 AM
diy-pro

Ya for a top quality bracket and a piece of metal I machined myself for a dollar including grub screws I don't think I'd let anyone duck my pocket and bend me south especially OSE. It'd be like me mailing my boat to them to tape it shut before I run it everytime and it'd be my tape -_-
Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 AM
MassiveOverkill

ORIGINAL: diy-pro

Ya for a top quality bracket and a piece of metal I machined myself for a dollar including grub screws I don't think I'd let anyone duck my pocket and bend me south especially OSE. It'd be like me mailing my boat to them to tape it shut before I run it everytime and it'd be my tape -_-

I wouldn't call Steve's prices overly-inflated. They're not the cheapest, but they're well within average retail and worth the good service. Now you want to talk about price-gouging...research some of my recent posts. I'm not going to link them in this post as the RCUlynch mob will come after me. $100 for a Seaking 60A ESC is highway robbery..............but.....but........ it's a hand-crafted, meticulously,skillfully, custom-made Chineese 60 Amp ESC!!!!

Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 AM
siberianhusky

LOL DIY's "boat"!

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...41/Lg16025.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 AM
diy-pro

I'm into cheap hobbies lol. Plus my 2 week old daughter wouldn't approve of an esc that cost more than my boat! Wait till I upload a video...