Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New tool set

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New tool set

ORIGINAL: jbondbmw

Any thoughts in this kit?

http://www.micromacromundo.com/tamiy...l-set-8pcs.asp

Tamiya makes good tools, I have a few modeling tools, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver by them. They can be rather expensive, though, which is why I don't own more of them.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 AM
imperviously

The thing is. i feel that like for instance, this mcmaster-carr tools.. are like 3 dollars each. they are not made/branded for RC, they are general tools but are the exact same thing for instance. (im not tlaking about quality of metal/material cuz that differs between every brand) the thing is, tools like this is better quality than the tools that are same priced but are branded for RC. Know what i mean? If you want GOOD tools that are RC branded, your going to spend alot of money, the cheap ones are horrible and the mid price is ehh. General tools that do exact same things that are also drivers etc just doesnt have that RC logo, will be better than the RC ones that are the same price. Thats how i feel about it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: imperviously

The thing is. i feel that like for instance, this mcmaster-carr tools.. are like 3 dollars each. they are not made/branded for RC, they are general tools but are the exact same thing for instance. (im not tlaking about quality of metal/material cuz that differs between every brand) the thing is, tools like this is better quality than the tools that are same priced but are branded for RC. Know what i mean? If you want GOOD tools that are RC branded, your going to spend alot of money, the cheap ones are horrible and the mid price is ehh. General tools that do exact same things that are also drivers etc just doesnt have that RC logo, will be better than the RC ones that are the same price. Thats how i feel about it.
Since general tool companies specialize in tools, they usually keep a closer eye on the companies making the actual tools than many rc companies do.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hudy makes his own stuff. He even designed the metal they're made of [X(]. Not disagreeing with you TMM, quite the contrary, you're dead right, just pointing out the Hudy exception. You're buying them directly from the designer not only of the tool, but the spring steel its made from too.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:05 PM
imperviously

Yeah, i wouldn't ever rag on anyone for using/buying hudy tools. They are expensive, but they are good nonetheless. I just don't have that kind of money to spend on something like that. And buying general tools instead of RC tools also isn't supporting the hobby. If everyone bought general tools thats a big chunk of money that the RC brands wouldn't have, the hobby we all know and love sadly just isn't as big as we feel it should be. So supporting the hobby/brands of the hobby by buying their products is good even if your getting a bit ripped off, i see it as just supporting the hobby by spending a few extra bucks, same reason why people go to LHS instead of all online (though i am cheap and buy most of my stuff online). If you have the money to spend then why not, your getting quality plus supporting it, if you don't then do what you have to do and spend wisely.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

No you don't always get what you pay for.  When pay for overpriced stuff you just get overpriced stuff.  Harbor Freight, Amazon and several other places have just as good sets of tools for a lot less than you pay at an RC store.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Hudy makes his own stuff. He even designed the metal they're made of [X(]. Not disagreeing with you TMM, quite the contrary, you're dead right, just pointing out the Hudy exception. You're buying them directly from the designer not only of the tool, but the spring steel its made from too.
This reminds me of the ad on TV where this girl say everything on the Internet must be true. Desinged his own metal? Yeah right. I went through over a half dozen tools where he lists even the brand names of the metal he uses.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

IGO TO THE 99CENT STORE FOR MY TOOLS
Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 PM
cumquat

i believe it, it's surprisingly easy to alter steel alloys. steel is an iron-carbon alloy, just as bronze is a copper-tin alloy and brass is a copper-zinc alloy. alter the amounts of the base metals and you alter the properties of the alloy. they teach metallurgy (the science of making alloys) at community colleges. if i ever get around to applying, i'll be taking that course.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 PM
cremation101
My Feedback: (2)

There are several different types of tool steel made today.All you have to do is research to find the right one for your application.
I really don't think that Hudy is a metallurgist able to come up with a grade/type of tool steel that no other manufacturer has to offer, there are several in the world:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_steel_producers
Must have spent a few million on an electric arc furnace and a few more on a lab to test his steel, he probably had help with material selection and hardening method.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 PM
cremation101

Buy tools that will last and you can afford. Hudy went through a lot of trouble to make the tools he wanted to make. They are most likely not making enough pieces at a time to be more affordable
Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

This reminds me of the ad on TV where this girl say everything on the Internet must be true. Desinged his own metal? Yeah right. I went through over a half dozen tools where he lists even the brand names of the metal he uses.
Here's some reading for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRAY_Model_Racing_Cars

Here's a quote if you can't be bothered...

XRAY was founded by Slovak engineer Juraj Hudy in 2000. Hudy had been making his own model racing cars, mostly gas driven, at home in his garage since the early 1970s. In 1989, after the fall of communism in Eastern Europe, Juraj Hudy introduced a top secret, self developed formula to produce the highest quality parts from spring steel. This material was marketed through his company Hudy and was used in Serpent radio controlled gas cars. In 2000, Hudy established the XRAY Model Racing Cars company to develop high tech, high quality RC model racing cars. Initially beginning in electric onroad racing, the company now also produces both electric and gas offroad cars in a variety of scales.
And here's a random hudy tool product, the first one that popped up when I searched for 'Hudy 2mm driver', sure enough, there it is written in the middle of the paragraph... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...x-Driver-Set-8

Again a quote...

This is a set of Hudy Professional Allen drivers with four popular inch sizes and four popular metric sizes. Ultra-lightweight, ultra-durable Allen wrenches feature superb fit and finish. Hardened tips, made from world-renown Hudy Spring Steel, are precision designed for excellent fit, long life, and unbelievable torque.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:38 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: cremation101
I really don't think that Hudy is a metallurgist able to come up with a grade/type of tool steel that no other manufacturer has to offer, there are several in the world:
See post above. I never said he made/smelted it by the way, only that he designed it, I expect he has a 3rd party steelworks produce the actual metal to his specifications for him, just a like all RC car manufacturers don't make their own plastic, they specify the shape and ingredients to a plastic maker.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 AM
siberianhusky

I wouldn't buy a tool just because it had an rc name on it! Cheap chinese junk with a fancy label.
Buy quality mechanics grade tools and you'll never have to replace them if used properly.
Cheap and quality just don't go hand in hand when it comes to tools.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Here's some reading for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRAY_Model_Racing_Cars

Here's a quote if you can't be bothered...

XRAY was founded by Slovak engineer Juraj Hudy in 2000. Hudy had been making his own model racing cars, mostly gas driven, at home in his garage since the early 1970s. In 1989, after the fall of communism in Eastern Europe, Juraj Hudy introduced a top secret, self developed formula to produce the highest quality parts from spring steel. This material was marketed through his company Hudy and was used in Serpent radio controlled gas cars. In 2000, Hudy established the XRAY Model Racing Cars company to develop high tech, high quality RC model racing cars. Initially beginning in electric onroad racing, the company now also produces both electric and gas offroad cars in a variety of scales.
And here's a random hudy tool product, the first one that popped up when I searched for 'Hudy 2mm driver', sure enough, there it is written in the middle of the paragraph... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...x-Driver-Set-8

Again a quote...

This is a set of Hudy Professional Allen drivers with four popular inch sizes and four popular metric sizes. Ultra-lightweight, ultra-durable Allen wrenches feature superb fit and finish. Hardened tips, made from world-renown Hudy Spring Steel, are precision designed for excellent fit, long life, and unbelievable torque.
That's interesting info, thanks for sharing! I had no idea of his background, nor his association with Xray. Now I'm seeing a little more of why you see things the way you do. Good stuff.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Foxy

Thanks buddy, it's good to know that I'm not banging my head against the wall with everybody

Hudy could have worked for the European Space Agency, he is that good an engineer (Think Wallowitz in Big Bang Theory ), all he ever wanted to do was make toy cars though, which is good news for us

As I said earlier, I don't expect many hobbyists to go out and buy a full hudy set for like $300, even I who spend every month wouldn't do that, there are too many cars I still want for that kind of money! But it's well worth picking one or two individual tools up here and there when you get the chance, they really are a treat to use and contrary to popular opinion it seems, are NOTICEABLY better than 'regular' tools, in accuracy, finish and longevity. Even my wife picked up my Hudy reamer the other day and said 'Wow, this looks expensive!', which while meaningless, was gratifying lol.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, don't worry about my edit of your post if you noticed, I edited the post you quoted and then edited the quote for consistency.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Eman77

No worries on the edit.

As I learn more about the background of folks behind companies in this hobby, the more respect I get for them and their products. The info on Hudy makes me see their stuff in a whole new light. I recently read Master Modeler (the story behind Tamiya), and it really amped up my already-enthusiastic views of them.

It's amazing what some individuals have done for the hobby. It gives me a little more...I dunno...pride? Happiness? ...when I buy/own products like that, knowing what they put into it (and of course, because I like their products...be it for quality, scale. appearance, whatever).
Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 AM
eddieC

Hudys are OK, but too much fan-boy bling for my taste. Nowhere near Fanom quality.

Imperv, sounds like a good workman-type set is up your alley. McMaster-Carr, Craftsman, SK and Husky all are accurate (V important), and hold up really well. Like heirloom-well.
I have Huskys that are over 40+ yrs old, got them from my mom at Xmas as a teen. You can find Crafstman cheaper at K-Marts instead of Sears now, since K-Mart bought Sears.  I've found tools 50% less at the big K, but selection isn't what it is at Sears.
I also stop at Matco/Snap-on trucks when they're at repair shops. They don't sell small tools much and sometimes have discounts.
I've saved rounded hex tips by lightly grinding with a Dremel. Only grind the center, so the tips have max depth for seating. Lightly deburr with a stone afterwards.