Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Ultra Flash

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Ultra Flash

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:59 PM
rcand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARF Ultra Flash

I have heard CARF makes quality planes. Has anyone had any problems with any delamination of skin hinging , flutter or anything of concerns?
Old 08-01-2012, 04:22 PM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: CARF Ultra Flash

Nope,Nope and Nope. this is one of the most bulletproof aircraft ever built. you can damage the flaps if you don't put the gear down but other than that it is built like a tank.

Kevin
Old 08-01-2012, 04:35 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: seflyer

Nope,Nope and Nope. this is one of the most bulletproof aircraft ever built. you can damage the flaps if you don't put the gear down but other than that it is built like a tank.

Kevin

+1,,,,, flys all day long as good as a bandit for half the scratch and extremely strong.... I've had both...

2 cents,,,
Old 08-01-2012, 05:25 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the classic flash still available?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

All flashes and ultras have potential for skin delamination along the hinge areas . The elevator is especially prone to this problem. Usually this will never manifest itself from flight, however transport and ground handling can attribute to this. In the case of the elevator, a bounded landing , or a nose high landing on rougher surface can cause the elevator horns to get pushed up and peel up the hinge area. Bumping the other surfaces can cause a similar problem. Very few have also claimed they have had surface separation after many flight, however there is a possibility this was also from "handling" just went unnoticed for some time. hmm, funny some who have posted here already have had this problem and and posted about it in the past .. All said, the UFlash is my favorite sport jet I have ever flown ... and yes, I have had a delamination issue after hitting a divot on a runway and having my plane bounced .. in the air, the plane will take what you can throw at it ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8VP4TjRlNI&hd=1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8VP4TjRlNI[/youtube]

~V~
Old 08-01-2012, 07:53 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

ORIGINAL: seflyer

Kevin

+1,,,,, flys all day long as good as a bandit for half the scratch and extremely strong.... I've had both...

2 cents,,,
+1. Best...Sports...Jet...Ever...
Old 08-01-2012, 08:02 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Yeah, Agreed......
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 PM
SniperWj

UF is my first proper full jet size other then my habu/p20 and funjet/p20

the UF is much easier to fly then above two! superb slow flying perfomance,very easy to land!
and it able took all those abuse from p180rx! thumbs up! carf price them just about rite! you will never go wrong
with ultraflash!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI7TN...e_gdata_player

yiming
Old 08-02-2012, 04:31 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

One of my flying buddies experienced elevator hinge delamination on his.

Other than that it has been a great plane.

Bob
Old 08-02-2012, 05:40 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

On the plus side, should you experience a delamination problem it is usually a really easy problem to fix with no adverse affect to future flying.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 AM
gooseF22

If you set the plane down on the horns on the elevator during transport, it puts pressure on the hinges, and can cause delam.. slide a pipe insulation foam piece on the rear keel for transport.. quick and easy.. keeps the horns off the table... Its a cool plane.. I converted my CF to an UF.. flew it a little, but its undergoing a redo this winter with a smaller motor and lighter.. No issues, just wanted the motor for something else..
Old 08-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Bostonu

Great Plane. I love mine. Like Goose I am converting mine to UFlash this winter and doing an entire redo on the plane.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 AM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: Bostonu

Great Plane. I love mine. Like Goose I am converting mine to UFlash this winter and doing an entire redo on the plane.
Pins dont line up, neither do the bolt holes.. PM me if needed..
Make a template from the old wing..
Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Bostonu

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

ORIGINAL: Bostonu

Pins dont line up, neither do the bolt holes.. PM me if needed..
Make a template from the old wing..
Tim R. was telling me that as well. I have the wings and both don't line up. I won't be starting it until the winter. I will talk to you at Illinois Jets. Thanks Bro.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:56 PM
rcand

OK, thanks for everyones replies. Great help. I know they recommend 22-26 pounds of thrust. Any recommendation from you guys who are flying them. I don't need to go ballstic but like good performance. I guess I got all the speed stuff out of my system flying Bandits for years.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Bostonu

ORIGINAL: rcand

OK, thanks for everyones replies. Great help. I know they recommend 22-26 pounds of thrust. Any recommendation from you guys who are flying them. I don't need to go ballstic but like good performance. I guess I got all the speed stuff out of my system flying Bandits for years.
p120 or p160 would be fine. I prefer the bigger engine because I could always use it in other planes.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

P 100 RX will push it to 215, but it takes a while to get there. Take off needs 400 ft, and the speed builds slowly. Once up to speed, it will go vertical possibly 1,000 feet before perceptably slowing. And low residual thrust is nice. The P120 SX Will be all around faster getting there, and higher top end. The 160 is frequently used, and is lively, but will not hold a vertical climb if you start slow and point vertical, and hold it. I cannot wait to see what the P180RX will dow for this plane. Will find out in a few weeks when a friend picks his up. We will probably radar him for reference.. The vertical should accelerate, and the take off should be under 200 ft. estimated. The P200SX wont fit, without a lot of work, and im not the one to do it.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 PM
SniperWj

the 180rx work just like what you said.

I can give it unlimited vertical come out from slow and low pass.

one word..awesome!

mine weight 10.5kg uat full but tanks is empty

yiming
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SniperWj

the 180rx work just like what you said.

I can give it unlimited vertical come out from slow and low pass.

one word..awesome!

mine weight 10.5kg uat full but tanks is empty

yiming
I wouldn't use any turbine with thrust rating higher than a 170, I did the K-180 in my ultra Flash although the full throttle was not a problem, but my idle thrust was too much for landing. So I swap with my k-170. Notice my video I had to bleed off speed before take off .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k357mbHFCmI
Old 08-03-2012, 04:36 AM
gooseF22

when I had the 160 in it, we kept dialing it back...ended up around 24-26 lb thrust.. plenty to go vertical (midwest).. If you have all the speed out of your system, then build it light weight and use one of the smaller lighter engines.. thats what Im doing this winter.. I saw one fly recently with a Tam pipe, lighter servos, and less than 20lb overall weight..yes, less than 20lb.. with a P100.. it flew absolutely beautifully.. would slow to a crawl.. plenty of smash.. Im going to put a wren 100 in mine with the stock pipe, and toss the pilot/cockpit, and take out the smoke.. that should bring me in around 22lb.. FWIW
Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 AM
SniperWj

that said you need
more flaps...the video above is my
maiden flight. I got no problem
landing her with 180rx.

if talking light weight uf I can swap out
the 180 and put in vt80 from my velox one day to try out .
should be a fun flyer with lower wing loading!

yiming
Old 08-03-2012, 06:57 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

when I had the 160 in it, we kept dialing it back...ended up around 24-26 lb thrust.. plenty to go vertical (midwest).. If you have all the speed out of your system, then build it light weight and use one of the smaller lighter engines.. thats what Im doing this winter.. I saw one fly recently with a Tam pipe, lighter servos, and less than 20lb overall weight..yes, less than 20lb.. with a P100.. it flew absolutely beautifully.. would slow to a crawl.. plenty of smash.. Im going to put a wren 100 in mine with the stock pipe, and toss the pilot/cockpit, and take out the smoke.. that should bring me in around 22lb.. FWIW
Totally agree, have flown flash with Rabbit 100 at 21lbs, and Cheetah at 22lbs aircraft weight. With the lighter engine, the plane handles SO nice, still does 180mph, take off and landings in 150ft. It is faster with the Cheetah, about 225mph but, doesn't "feel" as light and becomes more of a straightline speed plane.Also, higher residual thrust and more time to spool down with a bigger engine. I like the way it will slow to a crawl with the smaller engines.

I fail to see why people continue to hang bigger and bigger engines in them? You get marginal speed gains and lose handling. The Flash was designed as an aerobatic sport jet, not a speed plane.

Mike

Old 08-03-2012, 07:29 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why did they get rid of the classic flash?? I love the look in the thunderbirds scheme with the wingtips..Just my taste, but it stinks its not available..Anyone know???
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: KFX450

Why did they get rid of the classic flash?? I love the look in the thunderbirds scheme with the wingtips..Just my taste, but it stinks its not available..Anyone know???
+1, looks and schemes on the Classic were much better! Had that T-38/ F-5 look to it and the Jolly Roger and Thunderbird schemes were awesome. UF looks like every other sport jet

Mike

Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Robrow

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be happy to swap their standard flash wings/stab for an ultra set to save the 1k cost of an upgrade.

Rob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.