Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

House of Balsa - Chea Pass - Stick

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

House of Balsa - Chea Pass - Stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 01:05 PM
guitardude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House of Balsa - Chea Pass - Stick

I'm finally getting around to posting my most current nitro kit build, a House of Balsa Chea Pass. This is essentially a .15 size Stick type aircraft with a 34 inch wing span. I have to admit, these Laser Cut kits are just awesome to assemble, its like putting a puzzle together but already knowing where most of the pieces fit. About the only real modifications I did to this plane was to make the wings so they attach with nylon screws instead of the rubber-band system the plans indicate and installing dual aileron servos for the ailerons. I did the dual aileron mod' because it gets a little cramped in the fuse' to install FM gear. a 2.4Ghz receiver would have provided a little more room to work with.

Building - the kit has the usual box type fuselage, solid tail surfaces and built up wing. However, with the laser cut parts and the way the pieces fall together it REALLY makes the kit a no brainier to build even though there are actually NO FULL SIZE PLANS. Yep, that's right, the plans are essentially once piece of paper with drawings and instruction on the front and back on how to assemble the plane. One really awesome thing is that ALL the individual parts in the kit are Laser marked with the part number on them.

Flying - On the first flight I was surprised and quite pleased that I only had to dial in a couple of clicks of right aileron. I'm using an older O.S. .15 FP for power and an 8X4 prop. Once in the air that engine and prop combo pull the plane with plenty of speed, though as Ifound out, if you make a REALLY dumb maneuver like a wild spin towards the grout it takes longer than expected to pull the plane out of the maneuver. How ever, with that said this plane is a BLAST to fly, I just wish I had a 20 size engine to put on it or one of those "fancy" O.S. .15 CV-A, that would be really cool. Even with the OS. .15 FP this planes flies quite fast and can do some really WILD maneuvers.

Would I buy it again? - ABSOLUTELY! This plane is easy to build and a blast to fly. It would probably make a GREAT club pylon racer since its so inexpensive. One of the funnest .15 size planes I've EVER had.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81747.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1789063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63515.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1789064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21886.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	1789065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31886.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	1789066  
Old 08-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: House of Balsa - Chea Pass - Stick

Nicely done!

You fly at WRCF?

Dave Olson (WRCF member)
Old 08-04-2012, 08:12 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I've been to build one of these for my LA .10.
Many of the HOB kits are heavy and over built, I hope that this one is an exception.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Mr. E

hey i noticed the bubbles in the covering under the wing. if you simply poke it with a pin and go over it with a little heat thoughs bubbles are as good as gone :d
Old 08-25-2012, 03:30 PM
guitardude

Skyraider71, you're correct this thing is built pretty (old school) heavy. And actually if I built another one I'd probably shorten the wing by one rib, and an OS 20 would REALLY make it scream. I'm not real sure you'll like the performance of the LA 10, but it IS a newer engine than my OS 15 FP so it may develope as much or more horse power. Otherwise it might be a tad under powered if you like having a little EXTRA umph.

Mr. E, yep been building for quite a few years just got in a hurry to post the pictures. I REALLY should have put pinholes in the Monocote under the Trim Monocote.

Scar, "YES!" I fly at WRCF in Washington IL. Move up here last July and joined the club. I'm ACTUALY an Instructor...very scary. If we haven't met already I hope we do soon, I'm David Lykins.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just looking at this kit the other day. I have an OS .20, an OS .15 CV-A and a modified OS .15 CV-X (Essentially the Ducted Fan OS .15) I want a truely fast plane so I was thinking I would use my CV-X mod engine. I was also thinking of milling down the wing thickness a milimetter or two for less frontal drag. Landing gear may also be excluded. Your post just sold another Chea-Pass (gotta love that name) kit!

Did you install the diheadral brace upside down for anheadral or is that an optical illusion in the pictures?