Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

'White Tiger'

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 'White Tiger'

I just watched this movie online after seeing a posting of this clip:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlv6iuLT6-s[/youtube]

The 'Tiger' in that clip is definitely the best replica I've seen. I watched the entire movie, which has to be one of the best in terms of Russian armor, including the uniforms and action, but the Tiger in it is certainly not that one. The movie is in Russian, I have no idea what was going on except the main characters' obsession with destroying the Tiger. At first I thought what appeared in the film was supposed to be a Porsche prototype or something, eventually to introduce the Tiger in the clip, but it's the only one.

Anyone have any idea?

The YouTube info says it was made for the film and in my mind, if it did, that movie would have been the hands down best WWII I've come across. It's still up there, but the Tiger is too cheesy to be taken serious.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 'White Tiger'

I know world of tanks did a promotion on the russian server with a "white tiger" which was a insanely buffed tiger P, but that is about it. I think its supposed to be some infamous tiger known just for battle performance or something.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:59 PM
ausf

Here's trailer for the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Gm2jcoxyQa8
Old 08-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Martellus

Well now you got me interested. Here is the synopsis from the movie site:

"The Second World War comes to an end. Severe protracted battles harassed by both sides. But the more confidently advancing Soviet forces, the more often on the battlefield there is a huge impregnable German tank "White Tiger". Inevitably arises in the smoke of battle, he ruthlessly shooting the enemy and suddenly disappears. No one can confidently neither confirm nor deny its existence. However, the Soviet command decides to fight with him to create a special tank - a special model of the T-34. crew of this tank is headed by a person of unusual fate - almost completely burned in the battle, doomed to death of tank commander, who unexpectedly survived and returned to duty.He does not know his name, does not remember the past, but finds a surprising ability to understand the language of the tanks. He is sure - there is an elusive German tank and must be destroyed, because the White Tiger - is the embodiment of war, its horror and blood. hunt for a mystical creature begins. Who will win this fight? Not deviating from the documentary evidence, and turning to historical personages (Zhukov, Hitler, Keitel), directed at the same time adds to the narrative elements of mysticism, and enriches our understanding of war as an eternal struggle between good and evil. film "The White Tiger "is a major international project in which the main role performed by famous Russian and German actors."

So, some almost supernatural or supermachine tiger and an almost burn't to death tank commander who can now understand the "language of the tanks"? Honestly sounds kinda weird to me, but tis rare to see a nice tank movie come along.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 PM
1sgt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to sure of the Russian Tank Commander, But I swear I read a narrative similar to this story in one of the Greatest German Tanks Aces. Not sure, I'll look and let you know. But it did occure against the Russians, don't think that late in the war though. I hope to finde the editition and I'll let you know. Fantastic movie clip. OHHHH how I love the Tiger ( well, Kt, Panther, PZ IV, etc, etc ). I guess I just like tanks, but German mainly.

Jim
Old 08-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Martellus

Do you think there is a version with english subtitles?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM
mortak

I was hoping it would run over the car in 1:21.... (Guess not enough paying spectators or filmed in San Diego....) Cool Replica!!! Got me interested in watching it. Been some nice war movies coming from russia. 9th Company is also a good one with nice armor/equipment and a nice story line....
Old 08-05-2012, 04:05 PM
texchap

So where is the link to the film?   I can't find it.  I tried to find the DVD and no joy.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:36 PM
ausf

I saw mention of English subtitles, but after reading about the supernatural edge, maybe I was better off not understanding.

I was just caught up in the T-34 action, interiors, and wrecks as well as the accuracy of the Russian uniforms, tanker helmets, etc. There is such a wealth of stuff in the film, the only downside was the Tiger itself.

When you first see the Tiger, one of the main characters runs near it taking photos which I put together that he was identifying it as a prototype or something so I hoped it was the type P and later the Tiger I would appear. If I knew it was supposed to be like a Bigfoot sighting...
Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 PM
ausf

I found the film through a quick google search, I don't want to recommend anything that might cause issues, etc. (I use macs, so I don't know much about viruses and all that) but it's easily found.

Hope you understand, but it's certainly worth looking for.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Bastshoe

This movie based on the book of russian author Ilya Boyashev "Tankman or White Tiger"
The tank, which acted in this movie was made from IS-2 and look like as Tiger with Porshe turret, but absolutely wrong....
See here (time 00:46 - 00:55 & 03:45 - 03:50): http://www.1tv.ru/news/culture/206081
This movie in russian : http://onkuno.net/news/belyj_tigr_20...012-05-26-8655

But book is incomparably better than the movie....
Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 AM
mustclime

ORIGINAL: Bastshoe

This movie based on the book of russian author Ilya Boyashev "Tankman or White Tiger"
The tank, which acted in this movie was made from IS-2 and look like as Tiger with Porshe turret, but absolutely wrong....
See here (time 00:46 - 00:55 & 03:45 - 03:50): http://www.1tv.ru/news/culture/206081

from what I have read, the star is the custom built tiger....the tiger was a scrach build.......here are pics of the build

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...-tiger-vi-tank

They had some t34 based panzer 4's and a is2 based tigeras extras...but I have not taken the time to watch the movie.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 AM
ausf

That's my point, that Tiger I in the techblog is awesome, but it's not in the film, the IS-2 based is the only one seen. The Pz IV wreck on the train was nice, but the one in battle was inaccurate, but it only appears as a whole for a few seconds.

Bastshoe, I'll look for that book in English. I've read Vassily Grossman and enjoyed his work as well as the translation of Zaitsev's memoirs.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Tiger you initially shown was only completed some way through filming hence why you see the JS Tiger apparently if you look close at some of the footage the more accurate one can be seen, I think re-filming with this version was out of the budget.
If the rumours are right this same company is working on another replica tank possibly for a future film.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Onondaga

Yes the Tiger is not very accurate, but I really enjoyed the film even though I don't know Russian! This film should sound GREAT with a home theater setup. Lots of engine and battle sounds and overall high production standards. I will be looking for the DVD with English subtitles whenever its available.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Panther G

Need a direct link to watch this film. Cant get one from You Boob.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Frantz70

View at your own risk

http://online.stepashka.com/otechest...tigr-2012.html
Old 08-07-2012, 12:11 AM
HAL_HUSKER

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bastshoe

+ 1 to BastShoe...
the movie from tank usage perspective is a disaster... nobody knows why Bekhmambetov refused the fantastically done custom and reverted to IS-2...
making absolutely ****...
Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 AM
pattoncommander

Thanks for posting...too bad the mock Tiger was such a sham but battle scenes are very good and realistic.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Frantz70

I agree, disappointed too that the well made Tiger replica was not used in the film, lots of hinting and hype by the prop company that it would be.