Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

WWW.WHOLESALETRAINS.COM - aka Lantz Hobbies - Horseheads NY

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

WWW.WHOLESALETRAINS.COM - aka Lantz Hobbies - Horseheads NY

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 AM
wombat457

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WWW.WHOLESALETRAINS.COM - aka Lantz Hobbies - Horseheads NY

I have just come across another post regarding www.wholesaletrains.com (aka Lantz Hobbies) and noted that the post is almost 6 years old. As a model railroader and retired RC Aircraft Pilot, I felt compelled to "reinvent the wheel" and ressurect the issues surrounding www.wholesaletrains.com (and any other dubious online business). It seems as though that some things never change for some business', and www.wholesaletrains. com is one of those business's.

My hobby is model railroading and I have been into the "Wholesaletrains.com" (aka "Lantz Hobbies" store on quite a few ocassions over the past month or so. Each visit has resulted in (on average) a $150 + purchase.

What I have found is two people, one (a general shop assistant) who knows absolutely nothing about anything in the store and who has to rely on the other person for help. The second person is mor knowledgable about the products she sells, at least in so far as trains etc are concerned and appeared very helpful on my first few visits. Bear in mind here that I am/was new to the hobby when I first went to the store so I needed all the help I could get. Since that first visit I have been back on numerous ocassions and with each return visit the "customer service" seemed to dwindle gradually and the sales girl became abrupt and rude suggesting (by her attitude) that she far better things to do than provide a service, other than taking my money of course. The second female remained helpful "UNTIL" I made a complaint about their ordering service (and I say that in jest).

Almost 2 weeks ago I ordered a couple of small items (total value around $12 + tax). At that time the "better" female placed the order, or so it appeared at the time as they have glare shields on their computer monitors that prevent the buyer from dseeing what they are really doing. I was told the items would be available to me within a few days and I could pick them up on my next trip down there, which takes about an hour and a half. Two or three days ago I returned to collect my order and a few other items. After finding the items I needed I asked about my order. The "abrupt" female told me that I was not in the system, looslely translated - there was NO RECORD of an order being placed. In the meantime I asked the female who supposedly placed the order what was happening to be told again that there was no record of it AND, that it was probably that my order had been "KICKED" - in other words, removed.

Okay, so this is not a life threatening situation; however, during my visits (and something I should have paid more attention to) I heard numerous phone calls involving customers calling about orders they had placed and NOT recieved. For each of those calls that I overheard, the excuse was always the same - we placed the order (did they?) or we ares till waiting for the order to come into the shop. I have overheard around 6 or seven of those types of calls over the course of my 4 visits to the store, an amount that seems to indicate VERY UNRELIABLE service and creates an impression that no one there sems to know what they are doing, OTHER than taking money fro people.

With the above in mind (together with the other bad comments previously) I would NEVER ORDER from wholesaletrains.com NOR place an order with them in person.

On the other hand, IF you know what you want and don't require assistance or help and IF what you want is on the shelves in the store then it isn't a bad place to go. Their prices are generally much cheaper than elsewhere and they do seem to stock the most common items, at least where model railroading is concerned. IF you do need to place an order for something, find another place to do business with, even if that place is a little more expensive. The cost of the item is relative really - if you don't get it, or have to fight tooth and nail to get it or a refund (good luck ont hat too by the way) then the low costs become irrelevant. I would (and will) prefer to deal with a reputable business (regardless of the cost financially) and be assured of getting what I ordered in the time frame specified, than deal with rude and arrogant shop assistants with low prices.

By comaprison, I deal with DAN's Crafts and Things, speciffically a person called John. A week or so ago I tried ordering some items from DANS using their website but continually had my order denied. I established this was due to my having an international credit card and not a US issued one. Within 24 hours I received an email apologising for the problems I had had and a full explaination of why the order had been denied. The follwoing day I went into Dan's and spoke with John, to discover that he had gone around and put ALL of the items I wanted to one side for me to ensure that I received them AND discussed with me alternatives for my placing an online order. After the Lantz shambles,I emailed John regarding the items I had ordered through Lantz and, within 24 hours, recieved anemail back from him telling me that the items had been ordered and would be in in about 2 weeks. He also asked if I wanted them shipped to me from the store or if I wanted to pick them up personally to save some money. NOW THAT IS SERVICE!!!!

Cheers,

wombat457
Old 06-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Altered1

Default RE: WWW.WHOLESALETRAINS.COM - aka Lantz Hobbies - Horseheads NY

That really is poor service.

Have you tried asking for the order number at the time of placing order ? "Just so I don't loose track of the order, could you give me the order number? Thanks, see you in XX Days" That would sort out if the order is being placed or not?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:15 PM
wombat457

Altered1,

Firstly, nice to see another Aussie - that is rare on forums over here ! I lived in Melbourne for most of my life but haven't seen it for almost 9 years, I dare say there have been one or two changes

Okay, and to be honest, I was very aware of the poor (almost non existent) service this business provides "via the internet", so it didn't really come as much of a surprise when this happened. From all of the bad reviews about this company concerning ordering, customer service, order cancellations, refunds etc, even getting an order number probably would not have helped as I am sure they would have "created one" for the purpose.

Anyway, the real point of this post was to alert people to this business's (apparent) customer service "policy" of having no or little customer service and to avoid them at all costs. Now I also realize that every business is bound to get one or two bad reviews from people who got a hard time or were simply just hard to please; however, those are ussually in the minority, unlike this www.wholesaletrains.com mob.

Cheers and please, feel free to "ADD" to this post with the names of any other business that you believe performs poorly.

wombat457
Old 06-09-2012, 02:11 AM
jayjay283

so you didn't get an order # ? I'd cancel my credit card if I didn't get one. Box of chocolates
Old 06-09-2012, 06:09 PM
wombat457

ORIGINAL: jayjay283

so you didn't get an order # ? I'd cancel my credit card if I didn't get one. Box of chocolates
jayjay283,

Ah, I don't think you understood what I was saying. I placed the order "in person at the actual shop, not over the internet" - no credit card details were provided to them, but thanks for the advice I suppose my point is this - if they aren't able to place an order (or get it right) when you place that order in person, what on earth is going to happen if you do use their website to place an order?

Anyway, I am done with www.wholesaletrains.com and Lantz Hobbies. I will only deal with Dan's Crafts and Things in Rochester from here on in unless anyone can offer any other "good, reputable, reliable and honest internet shop".

Cheers,

wombat457

Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 AM
jimmac

Hi,
I must be the only lucky one to order something from wholesaletrains and get his order with no problems, that was a few years ago but I was going on holiday to Florida and was looking for a replacement fuselage for a plane I dinged big time. I placed the order online from home and the parts I ordered arrived where we were living in Florida when they were supposed to, I guess I must have been lucky. Any way talking of trains we were in New York on holiday to celebrate an anniversary as a family, when I am on holiday I like to visit a model shop if possible but all the modelshops doing RC aeroplanes were not easily placed from Manhattan when you aren't too clued up on the local transport systems. The only place I could find was this place
http://theredcaboose.com/trains.htm it was like going in to a time warp the place is jammed from floor to ceiling with all sorts of stuff, the other thing that is weird is you walk into the lobby of the building they are in then you find a door on the left and it opens straight into a stairwell and you then go down into who knows what till you get to the bottom of the stairs. It is definitely worth a visit no matter what you are into I found a really good reference book that I didn't have on the Skyraider, but there were lots of stuff that I had never seen before.
Hope this is of some help.
Jim.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:46 PM
bruzzi08

I live near them. I go into the store and they have horrible hours. They don't have the prices on the times in the store. There prices online are always different then in the store. They always charge you the more money price even if you tell them that there price online is cheaper. Which you can't pick up in store they will still charge you a shipping. I deal with towerhobbies all the time. Or hobbyzone.