Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fresno 2012 Jet Rally, no turbines?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fresno 2012 Jet Rally, no turbines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:51 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Fresno 2012 Jet Rally, no turbines?

ORIGINAL: ExFokkerFlyer

Guys,

Let me preface this with a statement about the general club feeling about the jet meet. I think this whole thing has suffered from the usual internet issue of intentions either being misread, or not communicated clearly. I've been a member of the Fresno club for about eleven years now. The club has always supported, and looked forward to having this event at the field. We have had other groups come in, ''rent'' the field and go on their way... NOT to be asked back again. That was not the intention of what happened with the Jet meet. We simply did not have people involved in that facet of the hobby interested in putting it on again. I don't want to restate what I have already typed before, but i wanted to be clear as some of the rhetoric seems to allude to something otherwise.

I think, and I honestly don't know for sure, but I think the whole genesis of the EDF thing was that there didn't seem to be a whole lot of support for the traditional turbine event. So, the thought was, let's do something simpler and maybe we can get more local people involved. Frankly, I tried the same thing with a heli event earlier this year and failed but will try again next year.... It was thought that with the Habus and the proliferation of cheap EDFs (the kind you WON'T find being sold at BVM ) that more club flyer types would get involved and come out and enjoy the weekend. These are the guys that would be intimidated if the field were full of kerosene burners. Personally, I think it was a noble attempt at doing something for the local club members... that I should again point out, wouldn't participate otherwise.

What I don't think was anticipated was that any of you guys would even care. I don't mean that in a snotty way, seriously. The club members don't troll these boards very often, obviously as the previous events would likely have been promoted better, so they would likely have never known. The general feeling was that the event had died, nobody was interested in coming, or that with the economy nobody could afford to come. If you guys want another event in Fresno, this isn't the place to make it known... draft an email to Dan Sozinho or give him a call and let him know that you want another event at Fresno. He's a nice guy and will give you any and all support that you want. There are local members that can help set up the field to get ready for the event... I'll donate my time as well.

We have opened up our club several times for outside groups to use, and though I can't speak for the club, I am confident that we would do it again. The problem is, we may not be able to run it, promote it, or support it the way it was in the past due to lack of local participation. We can do it again, but it's going to require more than just a little help from the outside since none of us really fly turbines.

If you want another Fresno Jets, you guys are going to have to bring it to the club's attention, and offer to run it with club assistance. I'm again not trying to be a snot, trying to be helpful. Our club is very hospitable, but not very involved in very many facets of the hobby.

Tom M
Tom iam only a prop plane flyer but i read through this whole thread and you seam like a great guy to speak for your club and the event ,but there were others who did diss the turbin guys about how much their planes cost and how come some left when their planes were crashed . I have put on events in my past and i dont care what kinda even it was for all who attended from out of town were treated like kings ,before the meet ,after the meet and they always new what the date was going to be next year before they packed up and went home at our meets. I flew pattern ,pylon when younger and i scratch build big balsa seaplanes
and very small fooamy ones but i have never turned up my nose at guys who can afford the best you can buy at my club field or at any other meet. If i were in your club i would bring these issues up to your club members and put a stop to all bashing of any kind for all the meets or planes anyone flys or attends. joe
Old 08-06-2012, 09:27 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Al, your attitude is not doing anything for your club in my opinion. You obviously have some hatred towards turbines and their pilots for whatever reason. You obviously don't care or can't see the bigger picture which is about the bros and the hobby!! I for one don't care that you don't want turbines at your event and I will tell you why. Simply because I am not a member of your club. Why is that a good reason? Well maybe because if I was then I would know that all you are doing is taking money right out of the hands of your fellow members. Instead of having 75 pilots and their fees show up you opt for 10-12 cause you obviously have something against turbine jets. That's extra money and revenue out of the clubs hand that could go towards better facilities and amenities. You can run it however you like, but when people who are willing to hand over hard earned money to fly somewhere and support and club and they get a response like this, don't expect to get a lot of sunshine and kisses.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:16 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Al, good luck with your Jet Event. It sounds like a great concept to ban turbines.

Here are a few more suggestions for you and your club:

Fresno Jets 2012
No military planes allowed

Fresno Giant Scale Festival 2012
Please help us enforce our 5 lbs. model weight limit

2012 Fresno Helicopter Jamboree
Remember, Fresno is a strict "no gyro" zone

Fresno Electric Celebration 2012
Remember, LiPo's and chargers are not permitted on club grounds
Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know I wonder after attending better than 8 Fresno Jet events (1998 - 2005) with what I remember being a great club who always welcomed us to the facility I read this thread and think screw you Al and company. I honestly wonder what our great friends Dave and Mark would think of this if they read it. Probably a little embarasment from your words. They and the club that existed during that time put on a stellar event that all of us wanted to come to and enjoyed for four full days!!!!!!!

Sad day to see it come to this. I guess because I like turbines you hate me too. Oh well, life goes on at another event.

I love John Cristensen's post above, that one is so true of the attitude that I read in the thread.

Good luck Al and company with the no jets at the jet meet program.

Let us know how you do. Or actually, come to think about it, don't let us know how you do because I just don't see many really caring.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Ricco
My Feedback: (11)

Hi John this John Riccoboni and I'm puting on this event and Dave Fusinato will be annoucing and flying at it. With the lack of interest the last to years at are event it was my idea to try a different kind of event it is nothing against turbines so so dont you be a good re for Horizon and bring out a Habu. I like turbines too and have a couple that i will not be flying. So if you want to say screww you to somebody say it to me. there will be a lot of our old friends from the ducted fan days there.

Thanks

John Riccoboni
Old 08-06-2012, 11:16 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I probabaly went to Fresno at least 8 years and only did not go over the last 2 years as I have young children growing up and did not have the time.

Tom M your posts are excellent and I believe spot on. Even small informal events need a subject matter expert to help them move smoothly and if no jet guys pick up the ball so be it, there goes the event. Simple explanation.

And I understand what you mean about low cost EDF, if electric guys are intimidated by turbines, then turbine guys should remember this in the future and be 1000% more supporting of noobs and EDF guys next time.

I know a lot of us turbine guys can't understand where this "attitude" label comes from but it is real. I am pretty active in my club and I don't have this elitist tag coming back at me. We have all the same types, older gentelman that I believe deserve respect, that is just how I was raised. I does not take much to put that olive branch out and every time I have it has paid off. I had nothing but good experiences at Frenso and I look forward to going agin one day.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Hey John,

Couldn't say screw you to you, you have always been up front and great with myself and other jet guys from the California area. I look at you as a friend and respect what you have done in the past for the jet community.

The post on here from Al speaking for the "field/club" is the disheartening point. He seems to have more than a serious grudge for some reason.

As noted in the thread, the Fresno Jets of times past was always one of the great jet events we had in California, if not the greatest. I think most would agree.

I do remember a thread in the past couple of years with guys looking for information on the Fresno event. They could not find anything here. This was the recent past. Also for Rick and George to show up and be about the only ones there that sends a message. The message is more on communication than anything else, and it has been echoed here.

If you are planning on an EDF event I wish you the best. At least this year there is talk of the event and that always brings pilots out.

So keep it in perspective and understand most on this thread are DONE with Al and his words which are from your club and facility: Like it or not. Going to take some work on your part to fix that. I wish you the best and tell Dave I said hi as well.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Ricco

To everyone Al dosn"t represent the club or this event I do and the club and have nothing against turbines just thought there was a lack of interest the last two years so trying a NEW event otherwise there probably wasn't going to be an event at all. I know this event will be succesful i have a lot of pilots showing up alresdy. i can't believe some of the talk on this thread. Just come out and fly and have some fun . Put all the negative emotions away please. And thank John Redman hope you will make it

Thanks

John Riccoboni
Old 08-06-2012, 02:08 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: Ricco

To everyone Al dosn''t represent the club or this event I do and the club and have nothing against turbines just thought there was a lack of interest the last two years so trying a NEW event otherwise there probably wasn't going to be an event at all. I know this event will be succesful i have a lot of pilots showing up alresdy. i can't believe some of the talk on this thread. Just come out and fly and have some fun . Put all the negative emotions away please. And thank John Redman hope you will make it

Thanks

John Riccoboni
Hi John,

I think everyone here is more than interested in seeing Fresno Jets on the calendar in the future. It was always great times and one of my favorites. The negative posts are all in response to Al who took on the role as spokesperson for the event and did so in a very unprofessional and unpleasant way.

Now, since low attendance has been the problem the past two years, it does seem very counter intuitive to put restrictions on the type of planes allowed to fly at your event? I think that is the decision that is being questioned most.

From Al's posts it would seem that it's a jealousy problem with expensive planes. I'm glad to hear that he does not represent the general club opinion.

Do you think fewer EDF pilots would attend if turbine jets were allowed? If so, why?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:41 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ricco

To everyone Al dosn''t represent the club or this event I do

Ricco, you certainly do represent this event and I hope I wasn't speaking out of turn, just wanted to add what little information that I had learned over the last few years. I will have my work schedule for next month shortly, if I'm available I would like to help out if you need it. Tom at Madera Hobby can give you contact info if you like.

To some of the regulars that have chimed in regarding the event, Fresno Jets certainly was one of the best events I have ever "been a part of". Now, I don't own a turbine, never will, but I attended from about 2003 until it died out a couple years ago. Couple of buddies I grew up with, you might know them... Jimmy Mongiello and Dave Presta , would come out so if I could arrange my work schedule, I would hang out with them because we didn't get to see each other regularly. The year Bryce and Johnny H came out left particularly vivid memories. Very good times, and the camaraderie was contagious. Some of you I have met in passing, and I always enjoyed the banter at those events. So while I'm not a jet guy, I certainly do not look down those who are jet guys. The vast majority of our members do not have ill will towards the jet guys either, or any other group really. I'm sorry you have have gotten that impression from this thread, it's not accurate and hopefully somewhere down the line we can prove it once again.

As far as some of the rhetoric that has been spewed on here. There were rumors, obviously incorrect, that the Fresno Jets event was boycotted with malice from the west coast jet crowd. No comment on THAT is necessary. It's not true, and I believe the rumor originated within the club. Other members bought into it as a reasonable explanation as to why nobody showed up. I think that is what Al (whom I don't know) is going by on here, again, incorrectly.

So while I can understand why some's dander might be up about this, please understand, that is not what our club is about. One guy does not a club make.

Tom M

Old 08-06-2012, 03:48 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: -JC-

Al, good luck with your Jet Event. It sounds like a great concept to ban turbines.

Here are a few more suggestions for you and your club:

Fresno Jets 2012
No military planes allowed

Fresno Giant Scale Festival 2012
Please help us enforce our 5 lbs. model weight limit

2012 Fresno Helicopter Jamboree
Remember, Fresno is a strict ''no gyro'' zone

Fresno Electric Celebration 2012
Remember, LiPo's and chargers are not permitted on club grounds

LMFAO!!! Oh man, killin me John!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Hey John,

Couldn't say screw you to you, you have always been up front and great with myself and other jet guys from the California area. I look at you as a friend and respect what you have done in the past for the jet community.

The post on here from Al speaking for the ''field/club'' is the disheartening point. He seems to have more than a serious grudge for some reason.

As noted in the thread, the Fresno Jets of times past was always one of the great jet events we had in California, if not the greatest. I think most would agree.

I do remember a thread in the past couple of years with guys looking for information on the Fresno event. They could not find anything here. This was the recent past. Also for Rick and George to show up and be about the only ones there that sends a message. The message is more on communication than anything else, and it has been echoed here.

If you are planning on an EDF event I wish you the best. At least this year there is talk of the event and that always brings pilots out.

So keep it in perspective and understand most on this thread are DONE with Al and his words which are from your club and facility: Like it or not. Going to take some work on your part to fix that. I wish you the best and tell Dave I said hi as well.
Actually Rick and George left way early, it was Chris and me there the whole time. If look at the pics from the event. It's our planes and thats about it, but still a great time. John I still remember your generosity when I lost my firebird at Fresno, I also recall the Green Scooby Doo Jet! Hope to see you out there again!
Best wishes, Kevin G
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 PM
fxvtol

Ianober-

Ianober- I don't hate the turbine guys, I just want to clear my good name and attitude.

1 Two years ago at Fresno Jets me and another club member name Scott volunteered our time to weldtogether and paint tables for the Fresno jet event.

2 As a machinist by trade me and an engineer builded a turbo craft U– 22 jet engine. This is long before jet cat wren AMTect. The engine did not run very well because we did not have an electronic fuel control system for it.

I don't have the expense to fly a $5000 jet 2500for the engine 2500 for the plane and accessories. In other words don't fly more than you can afford to lose.

This jet event is for the Joe jet six pack crowd.

I stand behind with John and Tom and said and I think everything has been said and I think it's about time to close this thread.

P. S. If I've been posting too much it's probably because of my new iPad 3 with voice recognition technology. I hate typing.

Al
Old 08-06-2012, 08:27 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just for the record, I only speak for myself...

Tom M
Old 08-07-2012, 03:18 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

a jet is a jet no matter what powers it electric is coming on fast
Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 AM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: fxvtol

Ianober-

Ianober- I don't hate the turbine guys, I just want to clear my good name and attitude.

1 Two years ago at Fresno Jets me and another club member name Scott volunteered our time to weldtogether and paint tables for the Fresno jet event.

2 As a machinist by trade me and an engineer builded a turbo craft U– 22 jet engine. This is long before jet cat wren AMTect. The engine did not run very well because we did not have an electronic fuel control system for it.

I don't have the expense to fly a $5000 jet 2500for the engine 2500 for the plane and accessories. In other words don't fly more than you can afford to lose.

This jet event is for the Joe jet six pack crowd.

I stand behind with John and Tom and said and I think everything has been said and I think it's about time to close this thread.

P. S. If I've been posting too much it's probably because of my new iPad 3 with voice recognition technology. I hate typing.

Al
"A jet event for the Joe six pack crowd"?

I just spent a week at Kentucky Jets and there were jets of every price range, turbine and electric. Everyone had a good time. NO class warfare there. Yes, you do have a problem with turbine flyers.....

Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Ricco

Just for the record i never put a price limit on EDF. I would like to see everything from foamies to something like a BVM twin electic F-4. I would also like to mention this is not an event for prop jets too. If you guys really want a turbine event let me know, I'm game. I'll present it to the club and see what they say. Maybe we can have a seperate event next year. It just seems to me that pilots with smaller electrics or foamies don't usually fly at turbine events. I could be wrong ,just seems that way.

Ricco
Old 08-11-2012, 04:17 PM
fxvtol

I have an idea which might help solve the problem at this jet even.

I am a member of Fresno radio modelers club. I cannot speak for the club also I am not responsible for the event John Riccoboni is.

We all know that a person flying his $150 fomie jet going 80 mph is intimidated by a person flying is $8000 flash jet going 180 miles an hour.

So here is my idea, This is a three day event, so why not have on the first day 7 AM to 12 noon the foamy and slow flying jets fly first. Then from 12 noon to 5 PM the gas turbine jets can fly. The second day have the gas turbine jets flying in the morning and the slower foamy jets flying in the afternoon. On the third day before reverse the order this way it is fair to everyone.

Also in the evening we could have EDF,s fly at night and have a movie showing.

Now at one of the meetings John mentioned that for an EDF jet event he would not need a fire truck standing by. I don't know if they made a new law or a rule that at gas turbine events you have to have a fire truck standing by?

Al
Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ricco, I see lots of electric activity at BITW. Regarding foamies, I don't see a lot action from them at any event. Usually foam is saved for the evening whether it be a 3D, warbird, or jet event.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

I have an idea which might help solve the problem at this jet even.

I am a member of Fresno radio modelers club. I cannot speak for the club also I am not responsible for the event John Riccoboni is.

We all know that a person flying his $150 fomie jet going 80 mph is intimidated by a person flying is $8000 flash jet going 180 miles an hour.

So here is my idea, This is a three day event, so why not have on the first day 7 AM to 12 noon the foamy and slow flying jets fly first. Then from 12 noon to 5 PM the gas turbine jets can fly. The second day have the gas turbine jets flying in the morning and the slower foamy jets flying in the afternoon. On the third day before reverse the order this way it is fair to everyone.

Also in the evening we could have EDF,s fly at night and have a movie showing.

Now at one of the meetings John mentioned that for an EDF jet event he would not need a fire truck standing by. I don't know if they made a new law or a rule that at gas turbine events you have to have a fire truck standing by?

Al
Al,

I think you should start speaking for yourself, only! Less damage done. Just because you feel intimidated, is no reason to paint everyone else with the same weakness.

David S
Old 08-11-2012, 05:38 PM
dubd

I still don't see a reason why Fresno Jets is excluding turbines, regardless of whether there was expressed interest from the turbine community or not. No one contacted any of the bay area guys and asked if we were interested and we only live a short distance away! When my local club throws a warbird event it is open to everyone. Same with heli events... All power plants are welcome.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 PM
fxvtol

G4 Guy.

At this Kentucky event did you actually see any foamy jets flying at the same time that they had the turbojets fly?

David S.

Thanks for the tip David I am speaking for myself and it's not a weakness it's a fact that I don't see any foamy jets flying at the same time they have turbine jets flying.

Al
Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM
fxvtol

David SEales

David why don't you show up at the electric jet event in Fresno I would like to meet you. I'm sure you must have an electric foamy to fly.

Al
Old 08-11-2012, 09:49 PM
marquisvns

David S.

Thanks for the tip David I am speaking for myself and it's not a weakness it's a fact that I don't see any foamy jets flying at the same time they have turbine jets flying.

Al
Perhaps it's not an intimidation nor weakness, probably just a courteous yielding from most.

I must admit that I haven't been to Fresno Jets, but I am looking forward to one, if the schedule doesn't conflict with Salinas Airshow with Thunderbirds.

After reading the entire thread, I feel perhaps there's a genuine frustration for lack of turnout from the last two years. How about un-ban turbines and let's do a head count for those who will attend. I would even commit to contribute at least $1000 from auctioning some of our new engines in honor of the event and the club, if turbine is a go.

Cheers,
Barry
Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 PM
dubd

There is no getting around that Fresno Jets was not promoted the last two years. I fly at the Fresno club from time to time and speak to club members on a regular basis. I've inquired about the event and no one had any information. The rumor mill was that Mark Taylor did not want certain people to attend the event so he did not promote it. Not sure if that is true, but the no promotion part is. The disappointing thing is now the CD is using the lack of past attendance to prevent turbines from flying at the new event, which makes no sense given the community was never asked if they were interested. A simple post to RCU or a phone call to one of the dozens of local turbine guys would have proven that there is interest, but no one knew when the event is taking place. With that said, none of the regular EDF guys came out to Freno Jets either, so why weren't EDFs banned from the new event?

What is the harm in allowing all jets to fly at this new event? If only one or two turbine models show up, then big deal. The singling out of turbines, makes the whole thing seem suspect.

I also think its disingenuous to state that the new event is for people with limited funds when I often see $5000-$10,000 EDF models, RVs, etc owned by EDF guys. A power plant doesn't determine your station in life. A nicely outfitted Habu 32 + batteries and support gear is pushing $2000. It's not uncommon to see the owners of these planes with 2-3 more similarly priced planes. And let's not kid ourselves into thinking that everyone who flies turbines is spending a lot of money. You have all aspects of the financial spectrum attending these events just as you will with EDFs.

To Ricco, now you know there is interest and people are committed to going. Let us know how we can help you set up the next event for ALL jets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.