Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New buggy

Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 AM
driftm4ster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New buggy

just got this for $20. only markinga are made in korea and BAJ-XX(2 numbers). I would like to find a pic of it sdo i know where the servos go, there isnt much room to work with. it has some vintage to it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00722.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	2236574

Name:	DSC00723.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2236575

Name:	DSC00724.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	2236576

Name:	DSC00725.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2236577
Anyone know what it is?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:36 PM
driftm4ster

Default RE: New buggy

Did a loong search and its a Aristo-Craft/Hitec Kangaroo. Need a used/cheap receiver and a front servo if anyones got one!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: driftm4ster

Did a loong search and its a Aristo-Craft/Hitec Kangaroo. Need a used/cheap receiver and a front servo if anyones got one!
if you want a cheap but working servo, then get [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/60gexidise.html?gclid=CNSGpfeDg68CFeRdTAoduS503g]this[/link]. i have one and it works great.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 PM
driftm4ster

Its been awhile, but heres an update on my buggy.
Turns out its an Aristocraft Dolphin, that was originally 4x4 but someone stole parts from it and made it 2wd like the Kangaroo. That is the dolphin body. The servo is a vintage Futaba JR from a Marui Big Bear. Radio is a brand new Spektrum D2XE. ESC is a Traxxas XL5 waterproof powering a Vintage Mabuchi RS540SH from the Big Bear. I painted the body first using an adhesion promoter,followed byDupli-Color metal specks Ocean Blue, with some Testors silver and black pinstriping to seperate the colors.

First run out, the hub randomly seperated from the rest of the wheel, followed by the tie rod ball snapping from the spindle taking part of it with it.

Iglued the piece of the spindle back on, and re located the tie rod balls to the 2nd hole farther in. I tried to glue the hub back on, but didnt work too well. Because of the huge weight bias to the read, and the skinny little front slicks it was light on the steering, so the wheels had to go.

Went in to the hobby store and picked up the first set if wheels and tires I saw that looked decent. They're for a Traxxas. I wanted them on the back, ant the rear knobbies up front, but the drive system for the rear wheels killed that. Instead of the standard Hex system,it uses a press on system, with a little aluminum round thing with teeth machined on the top of it to bite the wheel. So the new wheels had to go on the front. They look funny because they are bigger than the backs, but they clear and it steers way better.

It goes pretty good on and off road, it really likes loose dirt roads lol. Right now I have a problem with the upper A Arm on the corner that keeps breaking. One end on the A arm slide into the frame, and the other slides into a plate that screws to the frame. The end that snaps into the plate is broken, but theres a pin inside Iguess for strength. Ikeep glueing it, but it keeps coming out if I hit a rock too hard. So Im waiting untill I can get some JB weld. That stuff is strong.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:40 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is an aristo-craft hitec dolphin same as the kangaroo. Oon ebay in your condition, would easily bring $200. Vintage and very hard to find. Also sought after by collectors bc they only were made for a year or two. Find the wing and original electronics ans would be worth more than $300. DO not run and ruin it. Sell it to someone like myself and buy a cheap Tamiya lol!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:44 AM
crazy nick

And also neither was ever 4x4. I stand crrected dolphin was 4x4 and extremely rare!!
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM
driftm4ster

You interested? It would have to be sold without the electronics as they are borrowed and not technically mine. Hate to get rid of it so shortly after I finished it but I need new windsheild seals for my car and I need to ship them from England, and that would be expensive. The original front wheels would be included but one is broken. Could possibly be glued
Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 AM
crazy nick

Pm sent!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 PM
driftm4ster

Bit of an update, was driving it around and stripped ond of the bevel gears in the diff. Blew it apart, and luckily the LHS had one close enough to use. Also got a 14 tooth pinion because I think the 12 tooth is to small and too torquey, because when it stripped the gear I had just hit reverse from a stop.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

meant to ask this but what are the AA's for? as the XL-5 can power the receiver on its own
Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 PM
driftm4ster

At first I wasnt gettin any power to the receiver, so I just added some AAs and it worked fine. I should try without
Old 08-16-2012, 02:50 PM
driftm4ster

If anyone is interested, this is for sale as a roller with no electrics, I will try to figure out how to post in the classifieds. Id like to get around $150, I would trade for driveline parts from a rock crawler. Axles, trans etc.