Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Mom Hates R/C!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Mom Hates R/C!! Help!!!

Get used to it. Your girlfriends and wives won't like your R/C toys either.

Try 'turning the tables' on them by saying that you can't see the need for them to buy or wear jewelry. Now that stuff is expensive!

Then ask why they feel the need to spend over $100 on a hair cut, and more on coloring their hair, and $40 for a manacure!

That should shut them up.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:47 PM
okdreamin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 4 kids.  if u were my kid,  and that is your worst habit,  I would be a happy camper.     Hang in there man.   There probably is a method to her madness. 
Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 PM
SillyWillie-Buh!
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good point. Women have their ways of peeing away their money, just as bad as us guys do. It's just a matter of resisting the urge to splurge. Instead of "spoiling yourself" how about "treating yourself?" There's an equilibrium there that's easy on the wallet and generous on you. Try supporting your hobby little bits at a time instead of having to get it all at once. That is greed my friend. And when the cash flow rises, you can be even more generous. Don't fall into the trap of "more money, more problems."
Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell her your friends spend their money on alcohol, cigarettes and drugs, at least you have a technical hobby that keeps you learning and out of trouble. Can never understand parents problems with the hobby, it's one of the healthiest passtimes there is, gets you out of the house and everything. Tell your mother to open her mind a little and consider the alternatives. To discuss it with other people she knows, she'll soon realise that your hobby is probably the best thing about you! lol. j/k of course.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Captain Terrific

Maybe you should try collecting butterflys and pinning them onto a board and hanging them on the wall.  I'm sure your Mom will appreciate that.

Dave

Old 08-07-2012, 04:14 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: BurningEvader1458

I have a job. But she still hounds me. I don't have a lawn either. It's all just dirt mounds (Small). I tried the hand eye cordination and showing her how I mantaine it. She seem to act a little better about it. I am not nearly old enough to move out and we live in the country. The closest park or baseball diamond is like 20 minutes away. And nor dad or mom would ever drive me there.
My son had the "I have a job so it's my money" attitude too. But who pays for your house, food, education, clothing, laundry, etc, etc, etc. Until you are on your own and paying for all of that IT IS NOT YOUR MONEY! You want respect, offer to pay at least something for room and board since you have a job.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 AM
Mr67Stang

You're Mom is just worried about your priorities. Show her that your R/C hobby is important tou you but you understand there are other, yes, even more important things. As others have sujested, tax yourself. Take a percentage of what you make in your job and set it aside in savings every payday. That money is for college, a full scale car, an apartment or house, etc. Then live in your budjet. If you have no bills of your own, There is no reason you can't save 50% of your earnings. Most adults try to save 10% and fail to do so. I just spent $1040 on an order from Summit Racing Equipment for my '67 Mustang... guess what? I had to ask my wife first. Fortunately she loves old hot rods. So get used to people in your life telling you what to do with your money. Believe me, your Mom has your best interests at heart. She is mearly trying to develop you into a responsable man. Most of us have gone through something like this at some point in our lives.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:06 AM
SillyWillie-Buh!

Maybe take some money and buy your mom a little something to get her off your back! Me I work hard to pay bills and put food on the table for my girlfriend and I. Next week I'll be buying her a new iPhone, then I'll order my firestorm and she won't have a darn thing to say. Trust me I usually pamper her before I go buying rc stuff so when I splurge, I SPLURGE because it's not all the time I get to do so.

Both parents taught me something, if all your necessities are taken care of, go for it. That's both of them saying that, now my dad taught me that if you got a hobby it's best to be in it 100 percent. He loves fishing, owns 30 plus rods and reels. Loves guns, owns about 20 total. Loves cameras, owns about 9 Film and 2 digital. All over the course of his lifetime. He is a provider first, always has been, and into these things when his needs are met in the household.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Tell her your friends spend their money on alcohol, cigarettes and drugs, at least you have a technical hobby that keeps you learning and out of trouble. Can never understand parents problems with the hobby, it's one of the healthiest passtimes there is, gets you out of the house and everything. Tell your mother to open her mind a little and consider the alternatives. To discuss it with other people she knows, she'll soon realise that your hobby is probably the best thing about you! lol. j/k of course.
I don't think so Might be looking for new freinds[:@]
Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 AM
The_Shark

I mowed lawns when I was 11 till I was 15 and then got a job. If I wanted something, I had to buy it, my first rc was a bandit with a servo driven resister speed control and a stinger motor, I mowed at least 7 lawns.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:21 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Umm will you post a pic of your MOM. It might help us better understand what you are dealing with
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 AM
psb667

Get a dirt bike and start hanging out with the dirt bike kids. Shell be getting you rc parts to keep you home.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 AM
phreaktor

Something I learned from RC got me a job at Lockheed Martin.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

My mom has had it with me going out and spending $$$ on R/Cs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make her feel better about them. Should I set her up with one? Any suggestions?

Start spending money for drugs or alcohol, you'll gain her full support for rc
Old 08-07-2012, 09:31 AM
traxxasadict3.3
My Feedback: (84)

Bring home a 12 pack of beer and smoke a cig. when she gets pissed tell her you just miss your rc stuff.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 AM
DieHarder

I like your ideas on pampering her and then going out to buy rc stuff. I have a dirt bike, but parents only let me ride around the house. I am not old enough to drink alcohol or smoke. And smoking is something I never plan on doing. Lately she hasn't been bothering me so much about what I do with my rcs, instead she's bothering me about how I am on my computer all day posting with you guys. She's always trying to get me off this thing. I have to lock myself in the bathroom to even post at all.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:57 AM
DieHarder

I like some of those ideas about pampering her and then going out and buying rc stuff. I'll try that. Lately though she has been bothering me about getting on my computer and posting with you guys. I have to lock myself in the bathroom just to get on the universe.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:17 AM
eddieC

Come home with a tattoo. She'll be glad you stayed with RC.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Tjettzky

If you keep locking yourself in a bathroom with a computer, she's going to get even more worried about you. 

Do the savings bit (you'll have to suffer through NiMHs a little longer) and take some of the money you saved and buy your mom some flowers and tell her "Thank you for understanding and supporting my hobby.  I love you"...perhaps on a handmade card.  Moms eat that up. 

Also, find out what her hobbies are (she does have hobbies) and either a) buy her something with your money towards it or b) (cheaper option) spend an afternoon with her doing her hobby.  That may make you both more appreciative of each other's interests and it's a nice family bonding experience.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 AM
zepena

My mom has had it with me going out and spending $$$ on R/Cs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make her feel better about them. Should I set her up with one? Any suggestions?

if i were you i honetsly would tell her "would you rather have me spending money on drugs???"

seems like if you bring that up they become more understanding knowing that you need to do more things that are time consuming.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:53 PM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

Perhaps you should introduce your Mother to some of the Kids (im sure you know some) that just sit in the dark and play video games all day. Then show her the recreational value of RC and how it gets you out of the house and stimulates your creativity. Explaine how its not just you playing with toys, but how you must come up with interesting and imaginable ways to correct problems or solve issues with your equipment. Problem solving is a gift and not something that is taught, dazzle her with your abilities and put on a good presentation, be prepaired for her arguments and stand tall on your argument. I believe if approached correctly you will not only change her mind but leave her feeling better, almost glad that you have and enjoy the hobby.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 PM
DieHarder

Ok, thanks guys for the suggestions. I've tried a few and she is now like "I didn't realize how much you were learning and understanding. She is like all for it now. You guys really know what moms are like and how to fix em. But now I have one new problem. She wants me to work and run my rcs, but she is anti computer. Well, what I mean is, she gets mad at me for spending an hour on my computer viewing and posting on these forums. She is ok with me spending a bit of time checking email or weather, but gets mad if I spend a bunch of time looking at forums. Anyone have a clue?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

The savings idea is the best one in this whole thread. The truth is your mom is concerned that RC cars are too important to you. You know what? She's probably right. I am young enough to remember what it's like to be 14 or so and totally nuts about a hobby. For me it was archery. I'm also old enough to have a better perspective now so, for what it's worth, here's how you "fix" mom. Memorize this list: chores, homework (if you're not at least A's and B's then you're not doing it well enough), clean up at home, quality time with family, work for your money, save some money for future needs, get enough rest. All of those things are more important that RC. Do all of those things first during the week, and if you have any time left, I'm sure your mom will be ok with you enjoying some well-earned recreation time. If you aren't doing something on that list, then you are trading important parts of your future to enjoy a hobby. Get your priorities right, and you shouldn't have a problem with mom or anyone else complaining about your hobby time.
This works for my daughter and her obsession with her horse.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 PM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

If she start in on you say this..

It's either DRUGS or RC! Now ****!

but for realz..Your money, Your business.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 PM
trible10
My Feedback: (6)

Do you know how "lucky" you are? There are alot of guys/gals that would love to have a big field and lumpy yard!!! Lol. Just jump on that mower and start clearing a small area...even if it's at the edge of your property. If your parents are cool with it...maybe grab a shovel, hoe (garden type) and some water and start making a course!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.