Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Powerbox iGyro

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Powerbox iGyro

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Powerbox iGyro

Mine locked on in just a few minutes.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:16 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Took my jet out today.
I noticed that the gyro locked on the GPS in about 30 seconds, It also showed "In Motion" while it was at rest though.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Robrow

Has anyone actually fully entrusted their multi $€£K jet over many flights to this?

Rob.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:27 PM
rc4flying

I now have 30 flights on mine. All is well.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:01 AM
gerhard

About 25 flights, percect.

gerhard
Old 08-04-2012, 04:53 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

More to the point, how does it handle the signicant differences in ground speed, for a given airspeed on a windy day?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:34 PM
rc4flying

Well, I flew 3 flights today with the wind blowing 15-20mph and most of the time a crosswind to boot.
Of course I noticed the my jet jumping around more than usual from the gusty conditions today, but I could also notice some corrections being made by the gyro, but I really did not notice any difference in my landings. Other than the corrections from the gyro and me to the occasional gust hitting the plane. Don't get me wrong, the thing is not going to let you land like it was on autopilot, but i could see it , the gyro, working the conditions just a bit quicker, along with my reactions to the same corrections being needed through instinctive reactions during landings. I don't think that I would just sit back and not react to how the jet is reacting to windy conditions, but the gyro was working well.
I never thought to keep the gyro off to see how the jet handled the wind. maybe next time.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Vinceyboy

After seeing this piece of kit advertised in RCJI, reading the initial write up on their web page, and then reading through this thread, I've got to say that it sounds like an amazing bit of kit, unfortunately wer're all not blessed with being the abilities of David Shulman or Ali Mach. in this world, and to have a piece of clever electronics to help keep us mortal flyers expensive turbine kit from doing the unthinkable, well I'm all for it.

We seem to get some really windy, blustery conditions over this side of the pond of late, quite happy to fly my electric styrene models in it but not my expensive turbines, so this bit of kit sure sounds to be a remarkable piece of equipment to help keep our jets flying better.

It sounds like I cannot use one at the moment as I am only using a JR DSX9 transmitter, so would need to invest in a later model, shame as I am very happy with the DSX9 it does all I want it to do at the moment.

Great thread.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:18 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This is interesting. I fly jets regularly in quite high winds. There is little choice living in the UK. In certain wind directions we suffer quite severe turbulence in strong winds, due to trees on the upwind boundary. I tend to keep certain scale jets on the ground in these conditions, as they can be tricky to land when it is blustery. The sad truth is that Shui or Ali would probably cope without batting an eylid, but being just a mortal pilot, I find it beyond my abilities. Anything that would sort this out for me is worth serious consideration.
I would certainly like to see one in action in blustery conditions.
John
Old 08-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Vinceyboy

You hit the nail on the head there John, if all the hype comes true, it could be a god send to us mortal pilots, being that I am now 66 years of age, my fingers and brain ain't as nimble as these young whipper snappers, and this is one hobby where you don't get better with age[:@] but hey-ho, I just love my jets
Old 08-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Aussie Bart

ORIGINAL: Vinceyboy

After seeing this piece of kit advertised in RCJI, reading the initial write up on their web page, and then reading through this thread, I've got to say that it sounds like an amazing bit of kit, unfortunately wer're all not blessed with being the abilities of David Shulman or Ali Mach. in this world, and to have a piece of clever electronics to help keep us mortal flyers expensive turbine kit from doing the unthinkable, well I'm all for it.

We seem to get some really windy, blustery conditions over this side of the pond of late, quite happy to fly my electric styrene models in it but not my expensive turbines, so this bit of kit sure sounds to be a remarkable piece of equipment to help keep our jets flying better.

It sounds like I cannot use one at the moment as I am only using a JR DSX9 transmitter, so would need to invest in a later model, shame as I am very happy with the DSX9 it does all I want it to do at the moment.

Great thread.
You won't need any additional channels once the gains have been set, you just need to assign one channel (better if two) to adjust the gains in flight, once landed, you un link the gain channel which leaves that last gain setting locked in, these settings can be tweaked on the ground with the programming switch.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 AM
jetL39

Hi guys! I am on the way to buy an Eurosport 3d universe. I want to use an iGyro to control ail, ele VT and rudder VT and a separate gyro for canards (if needed)

There are 2 different opinions:

1. Some guys recommend to use 2 gyros, one for elevator/pitch and one for yaw/rudder vectors. Ok. I agree but I cannot unerstand what really these gyros do for me! I understand the yaw gyro will correct me the plane during a roll (we know that a plane intend to yaw to right if the plane roll to left). In this situation the gyro will do the correction for me. Am I correct? But I cannot understand what the elevator (elevon) gyro do for me insteed of the fact that helps me when an external force comes on the plane (wind)?

2. the 2 Germans flying the J-10's have totally 4 gyros: 2 gyros on VT, one on roll (elevons) and one on canards. Oh my god!
What am I thinking is as follows (but not sure): Please correct me if I am wrong! I am thinking at the following setups: Which setups you consider the best (or other modes are welcomed)

MODE1 I assume the plane is tail havy
Canards connected independently on a gyro1 to correct the pitch movement (plane tend to pitch up because tail havy), elevator mixed with TV, gyro2 on aileron, gyro 3 on rudder
So, in this case the plane will take-off short thanks to the VT and the unwanted pitch movement is corrected by the canard gyro 1 because there are enough airflow on the plane. Is it correct?
This setup will help me also in level flight because the canard will make me all the pitch corrections.
Do you think that the purpose of using the gyro on canards is to make the plane more stable in flight? I cannot see other explanation because in high alfa or hovering the gyro1 has NO effect only during flight! The job in slow flight could be made only by VT pitch gyro. ! What do you think?

Mode 2: I assume the plane is balanced properly
canard mixed with elevator, elevator mixed with VT and VT gyro 4, ailerons connected to gyro2, rudder on gyro3, no gyro on canard (or?)

What happen in this mode in slow flight? The pitch VT gyro 4 is ON but it is really active only when the elevator stick is in the neutral position or an external force appear!!Same for gyro2 on ailerons! if i pull or push the elevator stick the gyro doesn't work! Could somebody explain me what really such gyro4 on elevator VT can do for me and when?

These are my oppinions theoretically!! Could somebody explain me other setup opinions for an eurosport or other canard plane?
To use 2 gyros or 4? Why 2 and why 4? what are my benefits?

i would very much appreciate your help

thanks

Zoli
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Vinceyboy

Many thanks for your reply Bart, it will save having to spend out on a new tranny
Old 08-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Andrew Bailey

Two questions for those using their iGyro in jets. 

1. Did you end up staying with the default AIRSPEED FACTOR of 2, or did you have to change it on any channels?

2. Are you using the heading hold function (on centre stick) or are you just using the normal/rate mode?

Thanks

Andrew
Old 09-12-2012, 08:28 AM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

Is there anyone using the iGyro with JR/Spektrum receivers?

we have a couple of questions on setup/operations and would like to discuss via telephone.

if you are overseas, we can Skype.

i'm not the guy who setup the plane-just the messenger here.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Andrew Bailey

Can anyone out there give me some feedback on this?

ORIGINAL: Andrew Bailey

Two questions for those using their iGyro in jets.
1. Did you end up staying with the default AIRSPEED FACTOR of 2, or did you have to change it on any channels?
2. Are you using the heading hold function (on centre stick) or are you just using the normal/rate mode?
Thanks
Andrew
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Pepperpete

I couldn't find any indication that this will work easily with taileron models. Can someone please confirm if this will work properly?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Richi-d

Yes it works with tailerons- there is a delta mixer built in.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 AM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have been reading in the manual, you can use the Igyro with any kind of Powebox.

Has anybody tried to hookup one to a Power Royal ?

In my new planes I have the new Powerbox Cockpit SRS but I have a bunch of planes with the Royal and just wondering if the Igyro could be also used on those. Would I loose any of the functions ?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:57 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This seems really interesting. Just read the RCJI review Colin did and thru this thread. The thread has been a little quiet, but I'm sure the igyro is getting more use in the field. Any further input or suggestions, in particular for someone who has never setup or experienced the benefit a gyro can offer? Thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Here you go Gents [8D],
a nice video from pickeringrc.com regarding the new PowerBox iGyro

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sarH_ZXQt0[/youtube]
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM
DelGatoGrande

...anda video of the master flying the new PowerBox iGyro ![8D]

p.s. FAI F4G world championship allowed the use of 3axis gyros this year !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcEdfoxE5OA[/youtube]
Old 11-29-2012, 03:46 AM
DennisCamps

Hello,

I am Dennis from the Netherlands, I would like to put a gyro in my 35% yak 54 by pilot rc.
I can hover the plane and torque roll it but now i have tried the guardian 2d/3d stabilizer on my parkmaster i would like to have a similar product on my bigscale plane..

First the guardian is pretty sweet, light and cheap but also some disadvantage on other systems .
its only capable of having one elevator servo.. or you need to put an y lead and have programable servos..
it looses the heading lock when giving inputs to eather elevator or aileron.. so when its in harrier and you want to move to a rolling harrier it looses its angle of attack...

Now my question .. what is better .. i gryo or Gyrobot 900 wing?

What are the big differences etc ?

anybody ythat have tried both systems?

Regards,
Dennis
Old 11-29-2012, 04:59 AM
DelGatoGrande

wellcome on board Dennis

your plane requires a lot of VITAL mixes just to start flying straight.
Here are some:

"throttle to aileron" = engine torque
"throttle to elevator" canopy pull
"throttle to rudder" = right thrust
"rudder to aileron" flat turn/knife
"rudder to elevator" flat turn/knife
"aileron deferential" ....and more!

Plus the fact that one mix effect the other and must be done in the right sequence.

...with the use of the iGyro you wont spent again days out flying just to tune this vital mixes

and at the end get them all wrong because you decided to change the CG a little or try another prop .

Problem with gyros is the wide speed range of our models fly and if the gain is not correct it will destroy/flutter from over-compensating your surfaces.

The new 3 axis iGyro from PowerBox with the GPS sensor takes constant speed reading and adopts to the needs of the flight.

I have p.m. you the link in Flying Giants
Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DelGatoGrande

Here you go Gents [8D],
a nice video from pickeringrc.com regarding the new PowerBox iGyro

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sarH_ZXQt0[/youtube]
Great link, thanks George!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.