Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

servos????

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

servos????

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 AM
gravediggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servos????

what servos would u suggest to put in a sig kadet lt 40? i am putting together a second trainer. i have a lt 40 now with futaba 3003 standard servos in it. i have a dx5e. thanks in advance, Jim
Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: servos????

Your good with any of the standard servos. I do tell my students that if they plan on staying in the hobby, to buy the best servos and radio they can afford because these items will be with you for years. A really good high end servo will work just fine in a trainer and it can move right along with you as you start flying bigger and higher performance planes in the future. I started buying the low end digital Hitec servos when they first came out, they are still with me and being used today so it was money well spent. Buy the best you can afford. Go to places like servo city and look for sales, sometimes you can find some very good servos for about half there price or even lower.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 AM
gravediggers

thanks for the fast reply, good advice. thanks!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:57 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

This is like many other things in this hobby. It is about preference. I perfer to buy servos with the intent that once they are installed they remain there till the end. I bought several sport planes and bought regular standard servos nothing special. They are economical and they fly the planes just great. I have a pattern aircraft and it has full on digitals on all surfaces. This is due to the design of the plane. It is designed for percesion and gets high end servos. If I pull a servo out of a plane it is due to a crash. I would not swap them from plane to plane due to them being screwed into wood. It is all about what you want to do though.T hese are just my choices and reasoning.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I no longer have any of the planes I started with but I have most of my receivers and servos, even switches. If you run a servo screw into the screw holes in your servo rails then remove them you can put a couple of drops of thin CA into the screw holes. When dry you can now install your servos and remove and replace the servos pretty much all you would like. Planes get sold, traded and crashed, the gear stays with the pilot.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 AM
jetmech05

I agree with Gray Beard, get the strongest servos you can. Not to change them to another airplane so much as to have them for future use.
If you get an airplane that requires stronger servos you already have them. Perhaps you'll change servos once.
I also agree, airplanes come and go but servos last a long long time....I think I have had 3 servos go bad in the last 10 years.....But I have bought, sold and crashed quite a few
Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 AM
ameyam

I dont necessarily agree with the more experienced members on this. Servos need to be matched with the airplane. Buy cheap but dependable servos for your trainers- 3003, 3004, 475HB whatever, are fine. The reason for this is that traners do go through a lot of abuse. If you bang your trainer hard (God forbid) you could strip the gears in the servos and more expensive the servos, higher the risk. Even if you dont dump your trainer, servos do go through natural wear with age. As and when you move to a higher performance model, you can buy the high performance exppensive servos. Once you buy them, you can keep reusing them from model to model.

Sometimes you can reuse your cheaper servos- The servos I have on my UCD are the same I used in my trainer and though slower to react, they are still strong

Exception to this is when you get good servos for cheap. My LHS had 5625MG digital high torque high speed ball bearing servos, about 6-7 of them. Though from 2007, there was no chance of me getting them from Tower for cheaper. So I bought the lot and they sold out. Though I havent used a few of them as yet, they will remain sealed in my inventory till I need them and I am sure they will be fine and ready when I need to use them. Now everybody on my field who needs servos has to get them at inflated rates from Tower

Ameyam
Old 08-10-2012, 04:44 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still using seros that are very old, many of the Futaba servos I purchased some 15/20 years ago with no problems. Unless you are into some extreme requirements, most of the less expensive servos will do you fine for all types of planes. Those old Futaba 148's are probably the most reliable long lasting servos ever made.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 AM
goirish

I probably have 30 of the 148's and still use many of them.  I use different ones for my gassers.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:13 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have at least 20 148s that are 25 years old that still work great.

Bruce