Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Screwed by HobbyKing

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Screwed by HobbyKing

ORIGINAL: bigstick60

on all these forums on certain bad r/c companies, if you like and had no problem with them you are labled a shill for the company, then why?? when someone complains about this company are they not labled a shill against the company. in my way of thinking your all shills!!!!! why am i suppose to accept only one side of the story, or one party. just because you!!!!! said so. what i am trying to say here is these post are imho worthless and a lot o BS. look around before you jump and ask questions, SEARCH the internet that is what it is here for. and the final decision is yours, there is no right or wrong here, do what you want and if it does not work out it is called life, live and learn.
So if all the posts that complain about bad treatment, bad product and other inconsistancies are all BS, Then what makes your claim anything other than BS. I've heard and seen more complaints than compliments of Hobby Krap.

There is no such thing as a shill against a company. A shill is a person that portrays that they are JUST a happy customer, when in fact they are compensated in some manner for promoting said company.

You posted, "look around before you jump and ask questions, SEARCH the internet that is what it is here for" Well, thanks to these posters, when people SEARCH the internet, they will get the information they need, before dealing with Hobby Krap.

So how do you get compensated by complaining against the company?

Face the facts proven over and over again - - - Hobby Krap is just that krap inferior products, inferior customer service and inferior shipping services.

I am just so thankful that they don't advertise here and run this site as it does the other RC site.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:06 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: edh13

I apply my 3 “Harbor Freight Tool rules†when buying from HK:
1) Okay to buy consumables – Glue, sandpaper, rags, tape etc.
2) Okay to buy tools with no moving parts – Hammers, chisels, punch, scrapers etc.
3) Be prepared to throw it away without regret.
Pretty good. We know what we are getting when we buy. My last go-around with HK was just "ok" where they bagged and sent me wrong props. After some painfull dialog they made it right by giving me bonus points equal to the cost of the props. Almost fair inmop.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2) Okay to buy tools with no moving parts – Hammers, chisels, punch, scrapers etc.

Maybe we have more luck in my part of the world, a few friends have harbor freight generators, they work great! I have bought a few saws (radial arm saw, sawsall, etc) from HF, all work great! I love that store too. Maybe its more user error coming to play here.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 AM
jquid

ORIGINAL: gade600sdi

I laugh when I read these posts all the time, and see guys at my field with stuff that doesnt work all the time from this supplier. As stated above, never buy from Hobby King, some guys just never learn.
I think part of the problem is their ads in trusted publications. If they are so bad why would XYZ magazine that has been around for so many years allow ads from a company that performs like this? I think that is why people are trusting of them, and others like them.

Just my .o2
Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Maybe we have more luck in my part of the world, a few friends have harbor freight generators, they work great! I have bought a few saws (radial arm saw, sawsall, etc) from HF, all work great! I love that store too. Maybe its more user error coming to play here.
Buyers have to be smart, educate themselves, and research the items they buy. I have bought some things from HK and so far, so good, however there are certain items I do NOT buy from them. To me it is wise to buy what you are willing to dump if it is crap. If you are looking for service, pay more somewhere else.

The math is simple and the Harbor Freight Tool rules are good guidelines. HF is another store full of junk crap, however if you only need certain things to use on a rare occasion it fits the bill perfectly and you aren't paying an arm and leg. If you need quality for day-to-day go somewhere else and buy something that will last.

We, as consumers, can get the shaft if the lot falls on us. I buy more from US companies and I have still gotten shafted a time or two. Most of the time all is good. I do find that quality from stuff shipped for foreign suppliers can be less than worthy. I deal with, but don't always like it. Go to Advance Auto and buy you a couple of light bulbs and look at where they are made...yep, China. [X(]

One thing to consider, the products are MUCH better than they used to 30-40 years ago!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:54 AM
bigstick60
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: countilaw

on all these forums on certain bad r/c companies, if you like and had no problem with them you are labled a shill for the company, then why?? when someone complains about this company are they not labled a shill against the company. in my way of thinking your all shills!!!!! why am i suppose to accept only one side of the story, or one party. just because you!!!!! said so. what i am trying to say here is these post are imho worthless and a lot o BS. look around before you jump and ask questions, SEARCH the internet that is what it is here for. and the final decision is yours, there is no right or wrong here, do what you want and if it does not work out it is called life, live and learn.
So if all the posts that complain about bad treatment, bad product and other inconsistancies are all BS, Then what makes your claim anything other than BS. I've heard and seen more complaints than compliments of Hobby Krap.

There is no such thing as a shill against a company. A shill is a person that portrays that they are JUST a happy customer, when in fact they are compensated in some manner for promoting said company.

You posted, ''look around before you jump and ask questions, SEARCH the internet that is what it is here for'' Well, thanks to these posters, when people SEARCH the internet, they will get the information they need, before dealing with Hobby Krap.

Face the facts proven over and over again - - - Hobby Krap is just that krap inferior products, inferior customer service and inferior shipping services.

I am just so thankful that they don't advertise here and run this site as it does the other RC site.

so in your way of thinking if i post i like a product or company i am a shill, but if i complain, it is all fact and i have no vendetta of any sort, or maybe just a china hater? and how is it proven all is crap? how about abuse, or lack of knowledge it is only hear say. i have seen a lot of products that are supposed to be crap but turn out to be good in the right hands. there has not been and never will be a reputable survey on percentage of satisfied customers to disatisfied customers period. it is always easier to complain than compliment. again this is all hear say and no facts
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM
topspin

You posted, ''look around before you jump and ask questions, SEARCH the internet that is what it is here for'' Well, thanks to these posters, when people SEARCH the internet, they will get the information they need, before dealing with Hobby Krap.

so in your way of thinking if i post i like a product or company i am a shill, but if i complain, it is all fact and i have no vendetta of any sort, or maybe just a china hater? and how is it proven all is crap? how about abuse, or lack of knowledge it is only hear say. i have seen a lot of products that are supposed to be crap but turn out to be good in the right hands. there has not been and never will be a reputable survey on percentage of satisfied customers to disatisfied customers period. it is always easier to complain than compliment. again this is all hear say and no facts

No one said that you are a shill, only you would know that and if you were you wouldn't tell anyone since it is illegal. Like I already explained, Hobby King advertised for paid shills to promote (spin that word any way you like) them on RC chat boards like this one. I have never seen another company do that, have you? So when 20 people say they stink and along comes someone telling all of the complainers they are nuts and need tin foil hats, etc. It just looks suspicious that's all. If you have had a good run with them then fine. I calmly await the time when they rip you off and you will be among the complainers. Till then, support them all you like but almost everyone who is serious about this hobby already knows to avoid them.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

I've found the following products from Hobby King to be really nice, functional, inexpensive and top quality:
1. Blue sticky velcro (there is none better anywhere and at a giveaway price)
2. Any of their heat shrink tubing
3. 3.5mm connectors
4. JR type extensions
5. Turnigy motors (both the gold and the newer design)
6. Turnigy batteries (I use 40C in all sizes. Can't vouch for the lower C ratings)
7. Their gold colored connectors, the ones you solder yourself
8. Orange receivers and satellites (I have 18 of them, and they all work well in EDF jets and other electrics including an Evader, a Shoestring, and a Cosmic Wind among others)
9. Light sets ($7, full complement)
10. Their Stinger jet and their 70mm Sport jet, among others
11. All sizes of wheels, including aluminum hubs
12. Electric retracts (the $7-8 ones, work every time, no failures, H9 Spitfire, TF AT-6, Century A109 helicopter, and others)
13. Almost forgot Turnigy 30, 40, 55, and 60 size ESCs
14. There's a lot more, honest.

I fly at Manatee R/C in Florida. I'm not a shill, I'm a modeler who's "serious about the hobby". I have never received any money or products from Hobby King or any other hobby supplier. I have 85 orders and counting with Hobby King. I'd be happy to send you via email copies of some of the orders I've sent them. I'll also be happy to talk to you if you doubt what I'm saying. By the way, we have an electric club nearby with several members with MANY more orders than I have with Hobby King. We all fly the orange receivers. As far as I know, everyone is happy,
although I don't know all the guys and all their opinions. You should also know I buy a lot of stuff (a lot) from Tower, Hangar 9, and other suppliers. Seems to me most or all of what I get from them is from China, also good quality, fast shipping, and great service. And it does cost more. Just my two cents added to the discussion. No need to persecute me, I'm just reporting my experiences over the past several years. 40 years in the hobby, by the way, so again, I'm a "serious modeler".
Old 08-09-2012, 02:24 PM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

Sorry you are having a problem, I did a google search and saw these threads and alot of youtube videos' maybe 1 of them will be helpfull and and help you get it going, I just ordered some Solar servo's from HP and they seem nice for the $, It looks like alot of fun if your into cars and seems pretty popular from all the youtube videos.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...TID=26997&PN=1
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146998
http://www.rcparts.eu/parts-and-tuni...rally-car.html

As far as shills, If there is undercover shills operating here that are not doing reviews and just promoting wouldn't they commend each others posts multiple times and rate their threads increasing their member score?, but it would be easy to spot, If you look at a RC god like Passport1 (Chip Hyde?) and he has a member score of 100 and he may be the goat of rc (greatest of all time) or Tonyf with a score or 103 and alot of other gods here who only have a member score of 100 and have been here a long time. I am not saying a member who has 100+ is not legit, I am just stating what I see as undercover promoting. (Spin that).
Old 08-09-2012, 03:13 PM
gliderpros

I to have many orders with HK, no problems what so ever. They carry a wide margin of products from cheap no names to name branded, at discount prices. And yes 95% of hobby merchandise comes from China, any American company that tries to make a high priced quality product won't succeed, because people aren't willing to pony up the extra cash, with a few exceptions of course.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's one thing to use HK products in your toy styrofoam airplane, or a car, but not in a $800 pattern or $2000. + scale plane. I don't think anyone would trust a orange receiver in one.

Sure there are some parts that will work and are cheap. But spending just $50 on something, and then not getting the what you ordered or getting it delivered damaged and then having to deal with the lack of customer service is a BIG problem.

Is it fair for HK to hold your whole order while they wait for a part that is on back order. (when it wasn't on back order when you placed the order)?

Is it fair for HK to hold your money while they wait for the back order to come in? (just try to cancel the order and get your money)

Is it right for HK to send defective product, and then give a nice little discount on the next order? (Mean while your're stuck with a defective part)

BUT HEY !!! THEIR STUFF IS CHEAP ! ! ! AND WITH A DEAD ON ARRIVAL RATE OF 1 OUT OF 3 WHAT A BARGAIN ! ! !

Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 AM
the pope

It's one thing to use HK products in your toy styrofoam airplane, or a car, but not in a $800 pattern or $2000. + scale plane. I don't think anyone would trust a orange receiver in one.

Sure there are some parts that will work and are cheap. But spending just $50 on something, and then not getting the what you ordered or getting it delivered damaged and then having to deal with the lack of customer service is a BIG problem.

Is it fair for HK to hold your whole order while they wait for a part that is on back order. (when it wasn't on back order when you placed the order)?

Is it fair for HK to hold your money while they wait for the back order to come in? (just try to cancel the order and get your money)

Is it right for HK to send defective product, and then give a nice little discount on the next order? (Mean while your're stuck with a defective part)

BUT HEY !!! THEIR STUFF IS CHEAP ! ! ! AND WITH A DEAD ON ARRIVAL RATE OF 1 OUT OF 3 WHAT A BARGAIN ! ! ! [img][/img]

I must be in the minority because all my orders were here in Aus most times in about a week ( not bad me thinks ) . And all of my stuff is of reasonable quality . If its not alright for them to give a nice little discount on the next order while your stuck with a defective part what does that say about a company leader ( L.O.L. ) like world models ? Dont order stuff on backorder I dont and the only time I needed service it was handled well in a day or two . If you know how to play the game its a lot easier . They must sell a humungus amount of gear so theres going to be more issues. I two wouldnt put a orange receiver in a high dollar plane but I would sure use their glue etc init . Look how cheap their asp glow engines are . From the unpaid shrill the pope.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Psully

I apply my 3 “Harbor Freight Tool rules” when buying from HK:
Exactly!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:49 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

HK sells a brand of engines called RCG. It seems that it is made by a factory named RCGF. Now they sell their own engine called RCGF and have a couple of distributors in the US.
The RCG engine sells for quite a bit less than the RCGF. Apparently the RCG is made from RCGF rejected parts and have no serial number.
I bought an RCGF that seized on its first run. I contacted the factory and they demanded I produce the serial no before they would talk to me. When I produced the number they supplied a replacement engine thru their US distributor.
You could buy an RCG from HK and have trouble with it, you could get replacement parts from the RCGF distributor. Of course you would have to buy them.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

When I order from Hobby King I know immediately if an item is out of stock. I don't order it unless they have it. I order only what's in stock. They reserve it for you, but you need to put the order in. You can't wait several days. Their goods sell fast, especially the good stuff.

They weigh my order and tell me the weight so I will know shipping costs. It's not flat rate. The shipping gram weight is given for every item they sell, which includes whatever complexity is required to get it to you... like bigger boxes, for example. I have taken to ordering a few items at a time to keep shipping to either $2.99 or $6.99, the two break points of the gram weight for my zip code. You can get a lot of small items for those prices, very fair costs if you ask me, to get stuff from the other side of the world.

If you have ordered from them, they keep a record for you of all your orders, when, how much, with totals. Great accounting.

I don't use the orange receivers in my expensive planes either. I would never use them in a gasser or carbon framed plane. Just common sense. They do work well however for their applications, which include most electrics, EDFs, etc. More sophisticated radio equipment should be used with more sophisticated airframes, servos, and engines. No need to imply the orange receivers don't work however, they definitely do, and work well. I had one with satellite at over 1,000 feet (tower permission) in a StrykerQ. Eagle Tree altimeter, purchased at Hobby King by the way.

If you don't like to buy off-shore, BECAUSE it's off-shore, I understand. We all know the money for the goods ends up back in China or somewhere in the far east or Germany, regardless of which supplier you buy from. Personally, I'd love to get this stuff locally or somewhere in the USA at equivalent prices and selection. I just haven't found that place yet.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: dirtybird
You could buy an RCG from HK and have trouble with it, you could get replacement parts from the RCGF distributor. Of course you would have to buy them.
dirtybird, I don't understand this. Are you stating that if I buy an HK RCG I can get just get the replacement parts and not get the engine if it blows from defects since there is no serial number?

Have you bought any of the RCG engines from HK and if so, what was the outcome? I have read both good and bad about them. I am reluctant to purchase an engine there as I don't think it wise. I would prefer to pay more just to get the service as that is important to me where an engine is concerned. I would prefer that a company just state on the website, "This is an aftermarket engine, by at your own risk" and then I can decide if I want to take the risk.

BTW, this is where these forums can be very beneficial to us. We can share our experiences and in some cases get companies to change their practices. This also helps us by saving others from the hardships we have learned by our experiences. An example might be the "shilling" issue. That is something that I had not even though, although I have been skeptical of those "HK is the greatest thing since sliced bread" posts
Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Luchnia

I know some guys running the Orange receivers in planes up to roughly 1.20 size and NEVER a glitch. I have watched them continuously to see if they have any issues and now two years later and no problems. They seem to do the job fine at about a tength of the cost.

I am planning to try one in a 40 size model. I think they would be great in the under 90 glow planes and quite a cost savings. That much savings allow you to invest in better equipment for your larger gassers if your budget is limited.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Im tired of hearing people whine and moan about having difficulty with hobbyking...there is a reason why they sell items so cheap their should be an eternal red flag that goes off inside you.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:59 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

I know some guys running the Orange receivers in planes up to roughly 1.20 size and NEVER a glitch. I have watched them continuously to see if they have any issues and now two years later and no problems. They seem to do the job fine at about a tength of the cost.

I am planning to try one in a 40 size model. I think they would be great in the under 90 glow planes and quite a cost savings. That much savings allow you to invest in better equipment for your larger gassers if your budget is limited.

yes ive been using the orange futaba receivers for over 2 years now and i have used them in my gasoline and nitro planes and they work just fine no problems and have great range. I've taken one airplane about 2500+ feet and all was well.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 AM
topspin

dirtybird, I don't understand this. Are you stating that if I buy an HK RCG I can get just get the replacement parts and not get the engine if it blows from defects since there is no serial number?

Have you bought any of the RCG engines from HK and if so, what was the outcome? I have read both good and bad about them. I am reluctant to purchase an engine there as I don't think it wise. I would prefer to pay more just to get the service as that is important to me where an engine is concerned. I would prefer that a company just state on the website, ''This is an aftermarket engine, by at your own risk'' and then I can decide if I want to take the risk.

BTW, this is where these forums can be very beneficial to us. We can share our experiences and in some cases get companies to change their practices. This also helps us by saving others from the hardships we have learned by our experiences. An example might be the ''shilling'' issue. That is something that I had not even though, although I have been skeptical of those ''HK is the greatest thing since sliced bread'' posts

Most of the problems are manufacturing boo boos. I just read about one that was shipped with no threads in the spark plug hole and another with no threads in a bent prop hub. In both cases the owners bought them from HK and went through hell trying to get resolution. I agree that you are miles ahead to buy the more expensive RCGF motor from the manufacturer. At least they will back it up.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:40 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: keyman

Sorry you are having a problem, I did a google search and saw these threads and alot of youtube videos' maybe 1 of them will be helpfull and and help you get it going, I just ordered some Solar servo's from HP and they seem nice for the $, It looks like alot of fun if your into cars and seems pretty popular from all the youtube videos.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...TID=26997&PN=1
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146998
http://www.rcparts.eu/parts-and-tuni...rally-car.html

As far as shills, If there is undercover shills operating here that are not doing reviews and just promoting wouldn't they commend each others posts multiple times and rate their threads increasing their member score?, but it would be easy to spot, If you look at a RC god like Passport1 (Chip Hyde?) and he has a member score of 100 and he may be the goat of rc (greatest of all time) or Tonyf with a score or 103 and alot of other gods here who only have a member score of 100 and have been here a long time. I am not saying a member who has 100+ is not legit, I am just stating what I see as undercover promoting. (Spin that).

I thought you only cared about ESC performance...........
Old 08-10-2012, 07:46 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I don't know what you can get from HK in case you have trouble with one of their engines. I have never bought from them. However if you buy fron HK an RCG engine and have trouble, you can get replacement parts from RCGF You would have to pay for them.
I don't think HK sells parts for their engines.
You don't get a warrentee from RCGF without a serial no. You don't get an RCGF serial no from HK
Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 AM
topspin

I don't know what you can get from HK in case you have trouble with one of their engines. I have never bought from them. However if you buy fron HK an RCG engine and have trouble, you can get replacement parts from RCGF You would have to pay for them.
I don't think HK sells parts for their engines.
You don't get a warrentee from RCGF without a serial no. You don't get an RCGF serial no from HK

You don't get a warranty on anything from HK, they say there is a warranty but just try getting something replaced. They have more roadblocks in their system to discourage you than any other seller.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Luchnia

That is what I was thinking. I normally buy with the intent that if anything is trash, I toss it or keep it and play with it later. I don't buy any items from them that I expect any service or warranty on and I have a limit on what I spend.

I don't want them tying up a fair amount of my money in case some of their processes go haywire or a part is backordered, etc. To me that is how I weigh the risks involved. It has been very beneficial to me to use that standard with HK and I have saved and done well with them.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 AM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

I forgot to add to the OP that RCU has a pretty extensive car forum here and I would post there and see if anyone has a servo suggestion in case another 1 dies, I have not ran a RC car in a long long time but I remember if my servo saver was not up to the task the servo would not last long and I'm sorry I am not more help on that.

If I purchase a JR or Futaba from Hobbyking or anything and 1 of every 3 were defective?? I would be extremely upset and would not buy either brand again.

I normally do not purchase Hobbyking label products but I find the Turnigy label products from them including their ESC'S are a GREAT product., a couple of the Turnigy labels ESC'S I purchased like the K Force are relabled Hobbywing Platinum ESC'S and there are a real nice ESC and I find that alot of their products are relabeled and manufactured by a legit company. I also like the Hobbypartz Exceed ESC, that is also a relabeled Hobbywing and is relabeled by alot of sellers. When it comes to relabel another example would be the Hitec HS-81 which is also available as the MPX tiny S servo I would not use that servo for anything other then small electric just stating a relabel.

No matter where I purchase from I always purchase with paypal from my credit card so I have 2 options of buying protection, bad product or customer service from whoever? no problem and I would probally not have to even bother paypal and just contact my credit card company and I don't understand why some would not mention that and just bash instead. Also something you might want to check is I heard paypal is not requiring defective products to be returned if the seller does not refund 1st or something along those lines, I just heard about this and I will check into this buyer protection from paypal better but my credit card company told me for sure if I buy something and the seller will not coperate NO problem they will just charge back and its funny that a vendor who is giving you a problem and you tell them nevermind I will just charge back their tone changes alot of the time.

When it comes to Orange rx I think the Futaba is alot better quality (frsky relabel) then the current JR orange rx but they are coming out with the DSMX orange so if going the JR route I might wait for that..but it is true I know my esc's better then orange rx even though I worked at Futaba.

I do not own any Hobby shops so I can not post for a fact what anyone's warranty is and if the warranty on JR or Futaba or any Major label they stock is different if you purchase it from Hobbyking or anywhere else. If I bought a Futaba from any vendor and needed service I would sent it to Futaba, same with JR if I had a problem I would ship it to JR.

I do know the Airtronics SD10G with the 10 channel rx is a great deal at low price rc for $330 plus $30? shipping.

When it came to Gas engines I would buy from a vendor in the states, so many of them of any brand some people have problems with but I think my next gas engine will be the DLE35R or maybe a JC? I need to do more research.

1 last thing I will not fight with any vendor basher here anymore as most of these fights are not really worthy of someone of my Caliber, I would rather posts facts of items I believe it or have actual use with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.