Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sepulveda Basin

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:43 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sepulveda Basin

If you want to check out what's been happening at the Basin, check the archives here:

http://www.valleyflyers.com/newsletters.html

While not complete, there are newsletters from 37 out of the last 50 years.
The July newsletter will be coming out early next week.

Scott
Old 07-21-2012, 05:43 PM
larrysogla

Today is L.A. Jets event at the Sepulveda Basin Apollo 11 flying field...........and again there was a jet turbine fire already extinguished and smoldering when I got there at about 3:00 P.M. According to rumors, legend, shoptalk, 3rd party gossip...........it appears it is the same jet jockey that was responsible for todays crash/fire as well as the previous one. I never got to hear the name mentioned and I have no idea who is flying what jet at the Sepulveda Basin L.A. Jets event.........but it seems that the jet turbine is prone to igniting a fire upon a severe crash.........Wonder what consequences are for the rules and regulations regarding jet turbine flying at the Sepulveda Basin.............is it status quo or will there be repercussions??????????? I hope that the Los Angeles Parks and Recreation Department(which has day to day to day operational jurisdiction over the park/flying field.......the land is owned and ultimately has final jurisdiction by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for flood control) will not drop the hammer on the jet turbines as the flying field is isolated from any houses or commercial structures...............It is in the middle of what used to be a cornfield in the old days about 15 or so years ago. Whatever brush fire burns up is just clearing the area of choking weeds and nuisance brushes that the Department of Parks and Recreation should have been clearing with their bulldozers every other year to prevent cigarette butts from igniting the brush/weeds. 'Nuff said. Larry.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Phat Reliant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how is the LA Jets event going?

Not able to get out there []
Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 PM
larrysogla

John, I got there about 3 PM and the action was slow........probably from the heat of the sun............but the Jet action picked up about 4:30 PM as the sun was losing it's heat.........it is always nice and cool under those broad, leafy trees at the pits...........and there was a nice steady, cooling breeze of about 5 mph blowing through the park to cool off the folks...........It turned out to be a nice day of watching the jets take-off, do their high speed low fly by's and the straight up power zooms and then hearing those jet exhaust doing their mighty roar all over the field.............It was exciting as the jet action picked up and there were always jets whizzing by in the air. I was glad to go and see the jets. I asked the big heavy muscled black guy that used to fly the Lancair, if he had seen you and he said he saw you last week at the field and you were flying your Focke Wulfe 190????? I miss you sir.............I miss the RC chit chat with you............hope you have flown that Dual Ace yet...........Well one of these days we'll see each other at the field. Those broad, leafy trees really cool up the air underneath and are a welcome respite from the heat. Hope to see you soon. God BLess. Larry.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Phat Reliant

Hello Larry, sounds like you had fun..

I was out there with my Hurricane rebuild and did the maiden, it flew very well and will have to take it out again during the week.
Plane started out as a VQ 40 sized ARF, I had a new wing and an old fuse, stripped them down and recovered. Has an OS 90 4S Surpass with a pump.
Here's a pic

Regarding the Dual Ace, just bought 2 new .46 for it, the ones that I had in it are gunked up and was cheap to get them from HP on sale. Will fly soon....

Look forward to seeing you at the field, say Hi to the guys for me..

Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29107.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1784367  
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 AM
saramos

First weekend of August, Adam Gelbart will be CD for the All Scale Fun Fly and 2 weeks later will be my sun blistering mid August Fun Fly.

Scott
Old 07-22-2012, 08:29 AM
larrysogla

John, That is a nice looking Hurricane......" it flew very well,.....was a VQ 40 with an OS 90 4S Surpass with Pump"........this Hurricane rebuild must have an amazing vertical zoom climb like a rocket. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
Hey! give me a shout when you are ready to do the Dual Ace maiden flight...........I would like to see it as you know I still have 2 more Dual Aces still in the boxes.............by the way I also bought a few months ago the VQ A-26 Counter Invader twin engine bomber with Vietnam era camouflage paint with wing drop tanks and it is still in the box. Again I am stockpiling ARF's for when I retire I will be busy with RC planes. Hope to see you soon.
P.S. For those who never have been to the world famous Sepulveda Basin Apollo XI flying field...........those broad, leafy trees shading the pit area are the best shade trees....they give not only a huge, overarching, impenetrable deep shade but the leaves exhude moisture that they actually act like those fine vapor misting machines used in restaurant patios to cool the diners on a hot day. Every hot model airport must have those kind of trees. Hope the new Valley Flyers airport in Glendale plant those kind of trees. Superb!!!!!!!!!
John, as member of the Valley Flyers you should suggest those superb shade trees. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Phat Reliant

Hi Larry,
The Hurricane has a nice rate of climb and trimmed out very nicely. It's not super fast but has enough pull to keep you out of trouble. Running an APC 13x8 prop

Will let you know when I am ready to take on the Dual Ace

I was also lucky this past week to obtain another Kyosho Spitfire (in the box), and have sorely missed this type since I lost my first one due to a bad switch (will have 2 next time) This model fly's sweetly on a YS 63-S which is what I am going to put in it[8D]

Best, John.

Name:	Ay75702.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1784477  
Old 07-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: saramos

First weekend of August, Adam Gelbart will be CD for the All Scale Fun Fly and 2 weeks later will be my sun blistering mid August Fun Fly.

Scott
Hey you Southern Cal guys, check out our Flyer here, and come on over and join us in Arizona in November.

Click on attachment >>>
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jh14778.pdf (268.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-22-2012, 02:21 PM
larrysogla

John, Looks like you have a complete Battle of Britain single engine gunfighters collection............your Me 109, the Hurricane and now this beautiful Spitfire. All we need now is some air raid sirens and flak helmets and searchlights and the boom of AA batteries lacing tracers in the London sky. Yes, these legend of legends warbirds will stir the red hot instinct in every Battle of Britain fan. Congratulations again!!!! Larry.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:31 PM
saramos

August events.

Name:	Ki20734.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	1788432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35626.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	1788433  
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Ed

November Event.

Name:	Vs55750.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	1788438  
Old 08-03-2012, 02:38 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: saramos

If you want to check out what's been happening at the Basin, check the archives here:

http://www.valleyflyers.com/newsletters.html

While not complete, there are newsletters from 37 out of the last 50 years.
The July newsletter will be coming out early next week.

Scott
I just looked at your july newsletter,, Wow that's impressive
Old 08-03-2012, 01:48 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Wow all those B-17's! And no B-24? Wait till tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:34 PM
saramos

Cool. Unfortunately, I'll be arranging a rental as my truck got hit this afternoon coming back from Planes of Fame.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GrnBrt

Sure has been a long time since I have seen the basin. I lived and went to school in Culver city and flew U/C there (couldn't afford R/C then) from 1960-63. I use to get a ride with either Paul good who owned the hobby shop I went to or Jack Stafford who belonged to the club I was a member of, 'Smog Cutters'. Sure have some fond memories, like the time at the F/F circles i almost had my head taken off by a Ramrod F/F, a favorite back then. Saw the biggest darn Cub then, 9' WS, and yes for the time that was huge!!!!!

Good Lord is this thread still here?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:58 PM
scale dail

Fun with foamies! My new freinds. Only one b-17 has glow engines. Guess who!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbrNM...2&feature=plcp
Old 08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Hard to say who's crazier, you or them,, only at the Basin,, I miss that train wreak
Old 08-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounded like a bunch of cordless drills.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM
blueprint012

Removed.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:11 PM
scale dail

Electric Eye in the sky! Lookin down on you.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:20 PM
blueprint012

ORIGINAL: scale dail

Electric Eye in the sky! Lookin down on you.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Ed

Nice camera flight, but did Jets cause all that devastation ? []
Old 08-15-2012, 04:01 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Bp,
Amazing range. Was that a quad, or heli? What FPV equipment? V nice vid. 
Old 08-15-2012, 04:07 AM
larrysogla

Ed,
Actually, the brush fire from that crashed jet did everybody a favor...................the brush was growing taller every year and it was just a fire hazard if a lit cigarette was tossed carelessly. Also it was getting difficult to walk through all the tall brush to search for a downed plane. This is also located in Southern California which is prime rattlesnake country............so it was good riddance to burn all that overgrown brush just like the Forest Service do in a controlled burn. The Sepulveda Basin flying field (Apollo XI Flying Field) is in the middle of a giant park bordered by roads and the houses/buildings are a mile away so they are safe from the brush fire. So it was a good thing that the brush fire happened............the Parks and Recreation Department of Los Angeles City should have been bulldozing the overgrown brush every 2 years anyway. 'Nuff said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.