Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Sanyo NiCads: are they still made in Japan?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Sanyo NiCads: are they still made in Japan?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sanyo NiCads: are they still made in Japan?

I recently received a battery order from one of the better-known hobby battery suppliers. It contained three packs; two 9.6 volt Tx packs and one 4.8 volt Rx pack, all 1100 MaH capacity NiCads. I was disappointed and concerned to see through the shrink wrap "Made in China" stamped on the cells. They advertise all-Sanyo top quality cells.

I called the supplier to inform them I would be returning the cells, as I expected and want batteries manufactured in Japan. The representative on the phone told me if they sent me cells made in China, that's the ONLY place those cells are made. I thanked him for the info and committed to doing some research, starting here.

Here's what is stamped on the cells:

Tx packs:

1) KR-1100AAU OKS Made in China
2) KR-1100AAU OES Made in China

Rx pack:

KR-1100AAU PFS Made in China

So, are these Sanyo cells and are they only made in China? Does Sanyo still produce cells in Japan? I would hope that Sanyo would maintain it's quality control wherever they choose to manufacture their cells and I realize that many LiPos are manufactured in China. However, until now, all batteries I've used for my R/C applications have been Sanyo and stamped "Made in Japan".

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Four Stroker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sanyo NiCads: are they still made in Japan?

Cadmium is considered a bad bad thing in Japan and the EU. Why don't you modernize ? NiCD's are either ancient dead stock or made somewhere with no environmental laws.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:17 AM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect the move to China is a cost cutting measure for Sanyo. I suspect there is no enviromental empact from the manufacturing. The disposal of Nicads is the problem and with proper recycling that is not an issue either. I agree the end of the NiCad is coming for consumer use, so a switch to the A123 LiFe battery system would not be a bad idea. The quality control thing is something of a concern so we will see.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

While today I use mostly generic LiFe or A123 batteries, when I was still buying genuine Sanyo NiCd and NiMh batteries, they started to show "Made in China" labels quite a few years ago. I did not note a lower quality with these cells and some of them still live in my older planes.